The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: FIDGET SPINNERS (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
TheHillusionist
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of TheHillusionist
I am a magician and also work in schools.

The NUMBER # 1 thing I get asked now is "Do a trick with my fidget spinner". I've been trying to come up with some ideas but they always flop out, because I have to give the spinner back to them clean obviously.

Any ideas would be GREAT!!

Thanks
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2150 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
When I used to volunteer in a school, I once used a devils hank to vanish a kid's snack. I used a presentation similar to the old vanishing bandana. However, I printed out instructions and had a kid read out to me what I was supposed to do. A year later, my son was still saying "Chet's cheese stick" to me out of the blue. Obviously, sing able to reproduce the object is just reversing the instructions.

A Gecko or a t*pit might be another way to go. Michael Ammar has his set up so he can retrieve the vanished item from a coat pocket. I would say something like "sadly, when I make these things vanish, I can't bring them back. So you can have mine."

Do an egg bag routine with it.

That's all I've got right now.

Patrick
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
When you hit your "magical 50'th post" check out the forum "Threads, Reels and Anchors" there is one recent thread on some ideas that might be possible by altering a spinner.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3669 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
The real trick is how to get them to put them away during the Show without getting a complaint because they are a therapy toy.

I think you could get away with a blanket , "Please put away your toys and screens during the Show.".

-Mary Mowder
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1350 Posts

Profile of Leo H
I work for the public school system and encountered a spinner a few months ago. A student accidentally left one of those things. I promptly threw it in the trash--where it belonged.
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1458 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
I came across these things about a month ago. I confess, I got hooked a little. Then, suddenly it hit me that it could be used in conjunction with Gregory Wilson's Revolution. I'll leave the details to your imagination.
TheHillusionist
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of TheHillusionist
Nicolas D. Very nice idea. Always wanted to get Revolution but my wallet argued with me (mouthy wallet).

I would LOVE to have it spin .. then have it rise in the air and come back on my hand. Haven't found IT with enough "umph" for that yet.

I've done some sleight of hand to transform a gold spinner to a blue one...then back to gold....but I want something more shocking now.
DaveGripenwaldt
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of DaveGripenwaldt
What if you set 3 objects on the table in a triangle and put the sipper in the center of the triangle with a bit of paper stuck to one of the arms as as a pointer. Spin it and whatever that arm points to matches a prediction.

Or put blue tack or Dexter's putty on the tip of your index finger...place the spinner on your finger pointed upwards and spin it, ala Gregory Wilson's Revolution...and while it is spinning you can tilt your finger down until its pointing toward the audience, the spinner still spinning on your finger like a propeller blade, "Lots of people can balance these like this....but I have been working of balancing it like this..."

You can also make it a gag, like the old ping pong ball on the nose thing by sneaking Dexter's on the spinner and "try the difficult spin it on your nose trick". Place it on nose with the head back...let it spin a minute and then look at audience with the spinner still stuck there and spinning.

Maybe fly around the room like that if you could find strong enough invisible thread...
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On Jun 22, 2017, TheHillusionist wrote:
I would LOVE to have it spin .. then have it rise in the air and come back on my hand. Haven't found IT with enough "umph" for that yet.

http://www.emagicsupply.com/index.php?ma......ma61gqm1
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3669 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
There is a card spin that looks enough like it to give a quick impression of a spinner.

I have to wonder if just glueing a card on top of a spinner to would look like. Maybe a blob of the adhesive that comes on Magazines in the mail would work for a quick stick.

Not curious enough to buy a spinner,... yet. I have enough compulsive behaviors.

-Mary Mowder
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1350 Posts

Profile of Leo H
That gooey glob that comes with magazines to stick on CDs and DVDs is, I believe, silicone.
Steven Webb
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Steven Webb
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3669 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Any adhesive that works.
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1654 Posts

Profile of randirain
I can make a foam rubber spinner that can be held up by IT.
Is that something magicians would want?

Randi
philraso
View Profile
Regular user
175 Posts

Profile of philraso
I was thinkign the same thing. I always try to think of something topical to add to a performance. These are hot now. And I can get them in various colors. Maybe a prediction effect??
MrWizard
View Profile
Inner circle
Conjured The Illusion Of
1039 Posts

Profile of MrWizard
There is one called the Magic Spinner. I seen it on Penguin Magic site. Check it out the video is short and to the point. Spin it then it lights up wave hand over it you see the selected card value and suit looks very good. Don't know if it is the same card always or if this one can be changed to different card.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/8844

I have seen others on ebay that you can program to say about anything. You have to have an Android phone with App to program it. Don't know the longevity of these to continue working but is new and fidget spinners are a hot item so very familiar to most people. Worth giving them a try they are cheap. Too bad Penguin is out of stock on the one they have but expect it will be back soon.

Richard
It's An Illusion Unless I Can't Fix It Then It's A Reality.
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
Can you believe I've been wrong on
1355 Posts

Profile of barts185
Quote:
On Aug 16, 2017, MrWizard wrote:
There is one called the Magic Spinner. I seen it on Penguin Magic site. Check it out the video is short and to the point. Spin it then it lights up wave hand over it you see the selected card value and suit looks very good. Don't know if it is the same card always or if this one can be changed to different card.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/8844

I have seen others on ebay that you can program to say about anything. You have to have an Android phone with App to program it. Don't know the longevity of these to continue working but is new and fidget spinners are a hot item so very familiar to most people. Worth giving them a try they are cheap. Too bad Penguin is out of stock on the one they have but expect it will be back soon.

Richard

According to answers in the question section on Penguin, it's always the same card, not changeable. So if that's a feature you want, better to get one of the programmable ones.
MrWizard
View Profile
Inner circle
Conjured The Illusion Of
1039 Posts

Profile of MrWizard
Ya I seen that in the questions section but might be a way, it was programed once. The programmable ones on ebay are from china and have lots of info and patterns appear so that is the way to go. Just do a search for programmable fidget spinners easy to find. Smile
technologhee
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of technologhee
Steven Bridges did some creative stuff with regular fidget spinners that can probably get you started with some ideas.

https://youtu.be/PNLwUflLBn0
MrWizard
View Profile
Inner circle
Conjured The Illusion Of
1039 Posts

Profile of MrWizard
That was new very creative stuff. I wasn't expecting any of that to happen. Find anymore good videos we should list them here for easy reference. Smile