The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Rene Lavand - Cup and 3 Bread Crumbs (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Nicholas
View Profile
Special user
I predict that I now have
900 Posts

Profile of Nicholas
On the Magic Theater (All Magic Guide) they are showing the performance portion of the routine by Rene Lavand where he uses a single cup and three bread pellets. I would be interested in hearing what others think about his performance of this effect. And, if anyone actually has made the purchase, please provide a critique of the entire DVD. Thanks!
Nicholas

UPDATE: March 21, 2004

Well, I went ahead and bought it, just for the 3 bread crumbs routine. As I figured, it was worth it for that routine alone. Everthing else is card magic. Although I am not a card man, you can't help but admire his performance. The whole DVD is a top-notch lesson on style. And, as an added bonus, Rene does a Jumping Gems (performance only) routine. I never expected that one! I am pleased with this DVD and would still be interested to hear other reviews or thoughts from those who also have it. I am particularly interested in other perspectives on the bread crumb routine.
Nicholas
tboehnlein
View Profile
Inner circle
ohio
1791 Posts

Profile of tboehnlein
I would love to know if any one else can actually perform his material, Rene is amazing.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5454 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I cannot address the specific DVD being discussed. However I can speak to the individual trick "Three Bread Crumbs". Years ago I bought this as a single-trick tape from Stevens Magic the package included the necessary props. You got a videotape, a small espresso-cup, a printed copy of the poem/story that Mr. Lavand uses in his presentation (in English translation), and several sticky, clay balls (bread crumbs).

Basically the trick is a “two-in-the-hand-one-in-the-pocket” routine. Because he only has one hand Mr. Lavand make some adjustments to the routine. Of course they are brilliant adjustments! He developed a “two-in-the-cup-and-one-in-the-pocket (or flicked away)” routine and surrounded the mechanics of the trick with a beautiful story and poem.

Part of the brilliant thinking and handling of this trick is in the clever way of showing a dirty hand clean! Imagine a palm up, open finger display of a hand being empty when it isn’t! Old Ramsey would have been proud of this gambit!

Can anyone perform the trick? Oh yes! This particular trick not difficult to master especially when compared to his one-hand card work! Mr. Lavand gives away everything needed to perform the trick. At least he does on the single-trick tape that I have. I suspect that it is the same on the new multi-trick DVD. Every move, every subtlety, and every nuance necessary to effectively perform this routine is clearly taught.

Friend tboehnlein wonders if anyone can really perform Mr. Levand’s routines. I must say, my performance is nowhere near the beauty and poetry in motion of Mr. Lavand’s. I cannot, in good faith, even try to use his story line. However, I do perform this trick. When I do it is in a more comedic vein and as an apparent impromptu bit.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Nicholas
View Profile
Special user
I predict that I now have
900 Posts

Profile of Nicholas
I've started working on this one and must agree that, although the slights are very simple, it is difficult to make the moves with the grace and elegance of Rene. I have also experimented with several materials for the "bread crumbs." I tried sticky tac (the DVD doesn't provide any hints about this) and found the balls to be a little too sticky - especially after handling them for a short time. So, I tried the type of art eraser that you can knead. With it, the balls can be formed...they are basically silent when dropped into cup...and they don't stick to fingers or inside of cup. The card work on this DVD is rather ambitious. His one handed shuffles, 3rd 4th and 5th deals, etc. are way beyond me. It is amazing how he makes it look so very simple in performance. I also enjoy the simplicity of his verbage. Most of his work seems to incorporate a simple theme that is repeated (ex. I can't do it any slower" or "I always have three."). There is no question in the minds of the spectators what is going on. For now, I'll just keep practicing. Eventually, this will get added to my performance. Glad to hear from someone else who is familiar with some of Rene's work.
Nicholas
tboehnlein
View Profile
Inner circle
ohio
1791 Posts

Profile of tboehnlein
Harry appreciate your feedback, although I believe I can count on one hand how many times I have seen Rene perform his magic is just simplely pure.
Bradley Morgan
View Profile
Special user
703 Posts

Profile of Bradley Morgan
Hey,
How hard is it to find the right balls for this?

Does the routine flow nicely using two hands.

I love the routine, just beautiful but a bit drown out. I would definitely do it in a three or four pattern.

Best,
Brad
"I do not know with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones." - Einstein
Bradley Morgan
View Profile
Special user
703 Posts

Here is a demo for all you folk who like to watch.

http://www.elmwoodmagic.com/?nd=full&......24photo5

Really cool trick.
Any thought on the above questions?

Thanks
Bradley
"I do not know with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones." - Einstein
bofx
View Profile
Special user
France
509 Posts

Profile of bofx
It's a beautifull piece of magic.
The DVD is well done. You have other routines on this DVD, but the most beautifull is the "Cup & the 3 Breads Crumbs".
It's not very difficult but you must practice a lot to do it smoothly.
My mentalism books: Mental Sweets 1 - Mental Sweets 2
Aron Devin
View Profile
New user
Chattanooga, TN
78 Posts

Profile of Aron Devin
Speaking of performing this trick in humorous vein; a friend of mine does the routine using a small hand-sized garbage can with three tiny, little plastic flies. Lavand's routine is the very last effect published in his incredible book "Magic From The Soul" so you know it is something he felt special about.
Bill Scarlett
View Profile
Veteran user
Vermont
366 Posts

Profile of Bill Scarlett
I was lucky enough to see Rene perform this during a lecture at the SAM convention several years ago. It was absolutely beautiful and the room went silent for a moment when he finished. Then there was a huge applause, of course. The simplicity, rhythym and poetry of this routine are a knockout and Rene is quite a class act himself.

Regarding the balls, Rene uses actual tiny bread balls that he rolls right there at the table as they are eating dinner. He uses an espresso cup already there at the table and he has the makings of an impromptu masterpiece.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
I've only seen two magicians perform this -- Rene himself, and Eric DeCamps as a tribute piece (which was very effective). Presentation is important in any effect but in this one it's critical -- it truly makes or breaks the effect.

Larry D.

P.S. - At one of the Collector's Workshop Conventions in the 90's that I attended in D.C., David Williamson performed his "midnight madness" and he showed an absolutely hilarious video that he recorded which included Rene standing at a salad bar throwing croutons over his shoulder. I won't even tell you what Tom Mullica did in the video. Man that was a funny night.
Bradley Morgan
View Profile
Special user
703 Posts

Oh come on, now you really have to tell use.
LOL

I am looking to get this DVD just for the routine. It is so beautiful.

So he really does use real bread crumbs?

Bradley
Bill Scarlett
View Profile
Veteran user
Vermont
366 Posts

Profile of Bill Scarlett
Yes, real bread crumbs. More precisely, he uses little bread balls that he rolls with his fingers. I'm sure you can use some less biodegradable substance for this effect.
mattH
View Profile
Veteran user
324 Posts

Profile of mattH
New Levand DVDs coming out check Meir Yedid website
Mark Levenson
View Profile
New user
New York
24 Posts

Profile of Mark Levenson
Is 13 years too late to continue this thread? Smile Does anyone know when Lavand started performing the three breadcrumbs and anything about how he came to do so (apart from it being an apparent one-handed adaptation of "two in the hand one in the pocket")?
MatrixAddict
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of MatrixAddict
Regarding an excellent routine like this, I don't think it's ever too late. It's a good reminder that I've been meaning to learn the routine.
Mark Levenson
View Profile
New user
New York
24 Posts

Profile of Mark Levenson
One issue for the performer learning the routine is what to do with the other hand. Unless it's done as an overt tribute to Lavand, as Eric DeCamps does, leaving the second hand inert throughout the routine could look odd. And there's the issue of presentation: Lavand's is so suited to his style and character that a different performer might need to find a different presentation, suited to his own style, to succeed. Not many of us are up to reciting fourth century Chinese poetry in our act. Smile
dschmunis
View Profile
New user
Hillsboro, OR
91 Posts

Profile of dschmunis
Any recommendation on what type of “crumbs” to get and where to get them?
shomemagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Missouri
2230 Posts

Profile of shomemagic
Is the poem in English available anywhere?
Magically,

Mike King - Sho-Me Magic

You can e-mail me at: shomemagic@gmail.com
Mark Levenson
View Profile
New user
New York
24 Posts

Profile of Mark Levenson
RE: crumbs -- if one doesn't use fresh bread balls (stale/dry ones talk), Lavand recommended clay balls rolled in talc. The poem, along with the routine, is contained in "Rene Lavand: Magic from the Soul" published by Mike Caveney's Magic Words (great name for a magic publisher)and still in print, I think.