The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: Avoiding Rabbit Cruelty (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
I have a problem.

My finalé in my Kids Show is a rabbit production. I do not want to keep my rabbit loaded for the full 45 minutes of my show. It's a relatively small space for her to be confined for such a long time. I thought I could keep her in her cage in an adjacent room and load her right before I did the trick, but of course, I would have to leave the room for 30 seconds or so to do that. This would mean I would walk out on my audience for that time. I don't want to really do that either. I thought of having an assistant do it 5 minutes before the trick, but I do not use an assistant, I would be on my own at a show.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
You don't drown by falling in the water;

you drown by staying there.

- Edwin Louis Cole
Mushu
View Profile
Loyal user
253 Posts

Profile of Mushu
I think it's wonderful for you to be concerned about the welfare of your rabbit.

This question might be better put to the people who frequent the Polly Wants a Cracker forum, in the previous section just up a bit from this one. They'll have more experience with doing magic with animals, and taking care of those animals.
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1869 Posts

Profile of kenscott
Yes and this works for me KILLER!. First I had the same concern.

Everyone in my area produces there bunny at the end of the show. Well I decided I wanted to be different in produce at the bigginning of my show. That way the bunny is only in there for a very short time.

Also my thoughts are first NO one I mean NO one is expecting the bunny at the start of your show. So out of the gate I already have everyone sitting on the edge of their seats because they did not see this coming and they should pay close attention to the rest of the show for more surprises.

I don't want the last thing they remember is the rabbit and that is what they do when it is produced last. Now if you have a strong show I am a think they should remember you and your show not the bunny.

So try to produce it front the start and see what type of reaction you have.

Enjoy,
Ken

PS small plug this is all on my birthday dough video
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Hi,
Like Ken I produce my bunny near the beginning of the show.
phillip
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Congratulations on caring about your bunny!!! There should be more magicians like you.

I produce Lou (my NEW bunny) at the end of my show from a pet shop production. It uses B**** A** and so there is ALOT of room. On hot days I put an ice pack in the wall of the cage and its nice and cool!
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
This should be the MOST READ and commented on thread on the entire Magic Café.

And I'm appalled that it's not!

Good for you, Pangea, to be concerned about the welfare of your bunny.

Would that ALL other magicians cared as much about the animals and birds that they use.

These are sentient beings, not magic props; and, as such, should first be treated as members of the family (which they are) and only lastly as "magic props".

(Since they cannot speak for themselves and are basically defenceless, they should be treated with at least as much respect, if not more, that you would give to a human assistant!)

Blessings on all of you who posted, that you care enough to write about your concerns.

Smile
Rich B.
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
632 Posts

Profile of Rich B.
I have been producing Trixie The Magical Rabbit at the end of my show in an Abbotts Elusive Bunny Box. When Trixie was smaller, I left him (found out Trixie was a boy well after I named him)in the box through out the 45 minute show as there was plenty of room.

Now that Trixie is about 1 years old, he grew considerably and just about fits in the box. I now load Trixie as I'm intorducing the box at the end of my show. Trixie stays in a carry box that I bulit, along with the production box in the open position ready for a quick load. Both boxes are behind a large side table that has a table drape that goes all the way to the floor for cover. Sometimes if there is a bad angle, I move my my main magic table next to the side table at the start of the rabbit production for more cover. The children see me bend behind my side table for about 30 seconds as I continue to talk and make pretend I can't find the box. I feel much better about doing it this way for Trixie.

Rich B.
WayneNZ
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1014 Posts

Profile of WayneNZ
I have always produced my Rabbit at the
start of the show.
Ive been told by other magicians it should be
at the end,because nothing can follow a Rabbit
production.......rubbish
The kids get to have their photo taken with the Rabbit after the show so there is no problem.
And the Rabbit gets to enjoy his big cage during
the rest of the show.

Smile
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
Here is a thought. Have a good sized cage with a rear compartment ala black art. Your real bunny is in that cage in full view the whole time execept the cage is turned so the back faces the audience. Us eit to put stuff on.

Get the best looking spring bunny you can find and product IT from the trick. Quickly putting it into the tabled cage and turning it around, all will assume your fluffy friend was the one you just produced.

It's the old bunny switcheroo! No one is harmed, you can save the production for the end, no extra assistant, no leaving the room and as Oliver Hardy would say, "No one is any the wiser."
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
I have produced and vanished the rabbits in the beginning of the show and at the end of the show.

At the end of the show I tell the kids that I forgot to bring out one trick, it's behind the curtain, but they really don't want to see it. (Well you know the answer to that one.) I just get it and I am going for about 15 seconds. It's not the best method, but it is the method of choice for the safety and welfare of the rabbit.

I Also use a duck bucket withholes and the rabbit likes that. It has numersous oles and is big enough for him to be there for about 45 minutes. (Dwarf bunnies)
Dennis Michael
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I use to have my bunny appear at the end of my show. Not no more because it's not my finale. I have him appear near the middle. I load mine in the back of my backdrop. I tell the boys to say the magic word. Next, I tell the girls to say it. Boys again, then girls again. When they are finish, my rabbit is loaded. I use different words as I load my other animals.
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
Thanks to everyone who responded. I really appreciate all of the advice. I can't even imagine how anyone could disregard the safety and well-being of their rabbits, it's sad to think some do.

I also want to add that Ken Scott's Making the Birthday Dough video is excellent. When realizing that a 45 minute load would be uncomfortable for my rabbit, I considered Ken's advice from the tape, which is to produce the rabbit at the beginning of the show (by the way Ken, my rabbit looks almost identical to Snowball II, black eyes and all - cute rabbit) For my show, the rabbit production would work best at the end, because my patter for it references earlier tricks from the show. But I may change the patter to better suit an earlier production.

Anyway, thanks again for all the great tips, and always keep your rabbits comfortable!!
You don't drown by falling in the water;

you drown by staying there.

- Edwin Louis Cole
Vanished Zauberer
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
147 Posts

Profile of Vanished Zauberer
I think that is great to start off with a rabbit production because it sets the show off on a good start. If you pull a rabbit out of a hat, all the kids will know your a real magician because ALL magician can do that (acording to most kids) Smile and all kids love rabbits!
"Stress is when you wake up screaming and you you realize you haven't even fallen asleep"

MagicTy
www.magicty.iwarp.com
boltt223
View Profile
Regular user
Arizona, USA
175 Posts

Profile of boltt223
I produce my rabbit Deuce about 3/4 of the way through the show. Of course I'm spoiled though as I always have an assistant, either my wife or one of my daughters there to do the load for me. Smile
Magicduck
View Profile
Elite user
Washington State
484 Posts

Profile of Magicduck
I begin my show with a duck production...for the reason you stated. The duck fits fine in the custom made bucket, but it is not something he should be in for long periods of time.

I produce the rabbit at the end. The production box he is in has plenty of air holes and he fits snuggly, but not too tight. As long as it is not too hot, and there is plenty of air, I find that rabbits like small enclosed spaces. I say this from having observed my rabbits when I used to let them in the house. They loved to hide in tiny dark places and would sit there contently for some time.

quack
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
This might deserve its own thread but what is the WORST case of magician animal cruelty you've seen in a show.

Here's my top three

1) magician whose duck pan insert failed to release on all side so the insert fell out and tip the rabbit into the flaming lighter fluid!

2) ON THE SAME NIGHT - another magicians produced a dove that was so stressed it was losing feathers on the stage.

3) magician who left his rabbit in a production drawer for two hour in his case while he had lunch.
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Pangea:

DenDowhy has the right idea. Leaving the “stage” when they know that you are getting something you forgot adds to the show as long as you say what you are leaving for. Or in my case bending out of sight for, as I put my Bunny Box on my table/case.

I put my rabbit at the end of the show so she does not distract the kids from my magic. I’d rather have her out than back into a cage. I have no problem in considering her PART OF MY SHOW, so I do not mind her being the last thing the kids think of after I leave.

Check out the thread >Polly wants a cracker... » » Rabbit...never had one

Also check out Nicholas J. Johnson’s compelling thread > Polly wants a cracker... » » Rabbit's Death

Bob
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
When producing an animal at the beginning of the show (usually 5-7 min's into the act), I will then put the animal away out of sight. IF not it will distract the children, and when you have volunteer's up to help, they will "B" line directly behind your cases to see where it went.(or where it came from) Remember audience control!

For dove's I have a cage built into a roll on suitcase table. So after the production, I can just put them away and they are out of site. This allows me to stay center stage, and not walk off turning my back to the audience.

Different props and different sized rabbits mean more or less time we can have our animals in their illusions, be smart yet safe- you'll not work again if you produce a hurt animal or worse yet a dead one.

MM
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
Stevenleeaugust
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of Stevenleeaugust
I haven’t done this one since my days performing at county fairs but it works

I needed to leave stage to dip my juggling torches in fuel so they would burn when I juggle them.
“I would announce are you ready to the big finale?
I need someone to introduce the grand finale, can you come up on stage?”
A kid would volunteer.
I would give him the mic and leave the stage…the kid would stammer and not say much which is a laugh in itself and I would yell from offstage what he should say…”Tell them…ladies and gentlemen I bring to you the fire finale!”
While I am yelling the instructions I got the time I needed to dip my torches. You could use this to load plus it’s time filler, you just got another 3-5 minutes if you work it right.

Good luck and thanks for caring about the animal
Steve
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
Another options if you don't want to rearrange your show is You could shorten your show to 30 minutes particularly if it's for young children.

Rabbits do like tight quarters and do quite well confined as long as there is plenty of air and it's not too hot! Have food and water on hand in their cage.

Personally I have never met a magician that didn't take care of his animals. I am sure their are bad owners but I believe it's the exception and not the rule.
Daniel Faith