The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Ring and spring (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
My lecture lately has included giving everyone in attendance a ring and spring. Then I show some great routines and original moves for it. I just released an inexpensive DVD ($10) on the Ring and Spring. In the DVD box is two sets of ring and springs.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
funsway
View Profile
Eternal Order
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
10005 Posts

Profile of funsway
For those of you saying, "you mean that puzzle thing we played with as kids? -- how magic is that?" you will have your socks blown off by the miracles you can perform with this simple device. It is worth the price just to see how Ian creates something from nothing.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5965 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Just with the ideas I came up with, I turned it into a featured item in some of my close-up gigs. I would think that Ian has ideas that none of us will ever imagine. That's been the case in the past.
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1458 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
Quote:
On 2012-11-02 09:23, magicians wrote:
My lecture lately has included giving everyone in attendance a ring and spring. Then I show some great routines and original moves for it. I just released an inexpensive DVD ($10) on the Ring and Spring. In the DVD box is two sets of ring and springs.

Where can we get this?
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
I have this ready now, but it is only a half hour. I am getting some additional material this week and making for working performers rather than just a beginner video with extra moves.
As is, I have the dvd and 2 ring and springs for $10
magicians@aol.com
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2012-11-05 10:00, NicholasD wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-11-02 09:23, magicians wrote:

Where can we get this?

http://ringnspring.blogspot.com/
funsway
View Profile
Eternal Order
10005 Posts

Profile of funsway
I just got my DVD and the real magic is how Ian found a case that perfectly holds the two sets of ring/springs. ;-)

I was quickly reminded of my original impression on seeing the new handling a year ago -- it doesn't matter if the spectator(s) view this as a puzzle, a trick, a demonstration of the performer's ability or a revelation of the magic within themselves -- it will always enhance the relationship between the performer and audience ( as long as you do not make the spectator a victim).

Methinks magicians often make things too complicated (me included).

Get -- do it -- have some magical fun!
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Funsway gave me some important comments which I will be putting in to the final DVD. The work is geared for the newbie and the professional, but based on his suggestion, I am thinking of expanding it to include some performance theory and how to approach the spectator.
Thanks Ken
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Ian sold me one back in 2009, and it is a great kids close up trick.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
I primarily do it for adults in walk-a-round and parlour.
-----------
Years ago, Paul Diamond was the only one who did similar moves. Chazpro has some stuff in his psikokeneteics book. I just got a hold of Chuck Leach old manuscript and will do a few of his moves on the DVD. The booklet is out of print, but Chazpro said he will be republishing some day soon.
---------------
Leach handling came from Paul Diamond (credited), so the additional material should match my technique. I hope to get it done this weekend.
funsway
View Profile
Eternal Order
10005 Posts

Profile of funsway
So, those who waited will get more, while the eager wild-eyed kids get bragging rights. Sorta magic like a silk fountain.

You've got to stop somewhere, Ian, and let the basics sink in ;-) Don't want to see the price go up!

I can see it now -- a Trilogy ...

magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Well, thanks to all who ordered this so far. I finished the expanded version, 47 minutes total.
I shipped a few of the short version, the others go out today.
Includes ring/spring on rope penetration, magicians twists and other original moves.
723sabre
View Profile
Loyal user
260 Posts

Profile of 723sabre
Looks great, ordered one! I always liked this simple little trick, so now more to explore and try out with them.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
As always, magicians tend to look back instead of looking forwards. Thus a good principle (the ring and spring) can remain in infancy and be classified as kid stuff.
Some magicians however work it out further succeeding fooling us with a principle we all know.
Back In 1984 Petrick & Mia offered us a routine called Bewildering Bracelets where a soft white and a red soft "small spring bracelet" were apparently linking like close up linking rings. The moves to link and unlink the two bracelets were really smart and are just an adaptation of the principle we are covering in this thread.

I compliment Ian for his search but I'm lightly irritated by the dismay of some other magicians for effects that they don't see the real potential of and their classification of such effects as kid stuff. Who are the kids. It took Michael Skinner and then Mike Gallo to make magicians to realize that the Ball and Vase was not kid stuff.

Now that Ian has unearthed the ring and spring, "know it all" magicians should look at its potential rather than the usual "Yeah, I know... just kid stuff"

Even though I didn't work enough at it, I know that much: the ring and spring HAS a great potential and Ian is a creative magician
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
The expanded dvd has a rope penetration and a ring on string move (both of which I learned for the shoot). But that added an even more diverse use of the ring and spring. I am satisfied with the content? Could I have added more? yes, volumes, but this was not an encyclopedia of effects with a ring and spring. So far, comments have been favorable.

"I enjoyed it very much. I do mostly cards and coins, but occasionally I like to change it up with linking pins, dice etc.
It was easy to follow and very helpful."---Mick

" Thanks very much for the video. You've created the most complete treatment of the ring & spring imaginable! I'll share my thoughts with you once I have a chance to digest it all.

Best,
Scott"
723sabre
View Profile
Loyal user
260 Posts

Profile of 723sabre
Just a quick word about this. Got mine yesterday, and for ten bucks, it's a real magical bargain. Good ideas, nice calm casual presentations, lots of ideas, plus 2 ring & springs! I like the ring, spring & rope ideas, as well as the ring appearing in a nest of boxes. It has already been said here and in many other forums, but these are simple, baffling and with some creativity, a magical little bits of normal items and they really do fool people. Excellent work Ian! Thanks!
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Thanks, I was a little afraid of the casual presentations as so many dvd's have slick production. I felt the price and the ideas were more important. Glad you enjoyed it. I am waiting for some distribution from the wholesalers and maybe some retailers.
Michael Bilkis
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

Profile of Michael Bilkis
I got to debut my ring and spring today while volunteering at a high school serving thanksgiving lunch. It went over well. I used he premise that I was hypnotizing the spectator and he or she would be unable to unlink the ring. We went back and forth: Wake up and back to sleep. Also switched between spectators who were awak and hypnotized. IMO, the routine went over well.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Great job Michael, much better than the old method and now with a magical presentation. I am finding a little resistance from the major distributors who are not on board with changing an old premise. We will see. Maybe if I double the price? Make the perceived value better?

Nah, I gonna keep the price low and make some friends.
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.