The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Card Artistry by Justin Flom (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Still working on the DL even after made
2100 Posts

Profile of Failed Magician
Card Artistry by Justin Flom

The ad:

Justin Flom's "Card Artistry" is an unexpected revelation of a selected card in which the magician turns the deck into a famous painting (or if you prefer, a brain-scan image).

It's the rarest kind of magic effect: it captures the imaginations of both magicians and audiences. Evoking a comparison of magician as artist, the performer "paints" his deck of cards into a four-by-four card mosaic of the Mona-Lisa. The spectator's selection appears in the painting! Inspired by a great Chris Kenner effect, "Card Artistry" is full of touches by professional performer Justin Flom.

Includes custom printed USPCC playing cards
If you can shuffle a deck, you can perform "Card Artistry"
Includes high-quality instructional DVD
Can be used with any poker-sized deck
Supply your own close-up pad

I LOVE this! I really want to get this, but there are some aspects that make me re-consider it. Firstly is the space you need to do the reveal, and second is the surface of the table. Best if you have something that makes the cards stay such as the bottom part of your pad.

Everything else is just beautiful. The reveal and the cards are printed by USPCC so no doubt in quality.

Would love to read some reviews about this and perhaps other routines or alternative taught in the DVD.
Magic comes through perception. -HS
surryhills
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
149 Posts

Profile of surryhills
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2543 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Why choose to name this effect 'Card Artistry' when there was a book by Paul Gordon, with this very title, produced just a couple of years ago?

I appreciate that it isn't a 'showstopper' BUT it could cause some degree of confusion, surely?

If I was bringing a new product onto the market and was looking for a potential name then, as we are often advised on The Café, a Google search isn't really that difficult - is it?
Barry Allen

Over 15 years have now passed - and still missing Abra Magazine arriving every Saturday morning.
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
2100 Posts

Some effects share same or pretty similar name. I know it will create confusion but somehow the market manage not to get upset with it I guess.

Yeah thanks for the link, didn't check it first.
james prince
View Profile
Loyal user
England
233 Posts

Profile of james prince
I have the effect and would be interested in seeing how others are getting on with suitable surfaces...

James
Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1369 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
Just recieved the trick this morning.
Very nice cards.
But.... beware: (for me) it only works on rubber. (the BACK of my close-up pad)
You have to have a surface which give "friction" to the cards.
james prince
View Profile
Loyal user
England
233 Posts

Profile of james prince
Anyone come across a mat of the right size?

With the right properties?
Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1369 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
When you lay 16 cards like the painting next to each other and you take approx. 5cm (app. 2 inches) more on the upper, under and 2 sides, you have the minimum size that you want.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10800 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On 2012-01-31 09:56, Waterloophai wrote:
Just recieved the trick this morning.
Very nice cards.
But.... beware: (for me) it only works on rubber. (the BACK of my close-up pad)
You have to have a surface which give "friction" to the cards.

Why not put the friction on the CARDS used rather than the mat or table?

In other words, would Card-Sharks "Science Friction" spray product be at all helpful?

Just a guess or possibility - I have no idea how this works.

Even with SF you would need I think a surface like table.

So are you saying that the cards in this trick are already gimmicked in some way with a material which gives the cards friction?
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1369 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
No, it are normal cards. (with a part of the picure of course).
Forgot also to mention: you get TWO cards in de Mona Lisa set and also in the Brain set. So yoy can do the trick twice with a different card.
I have sprayed a pad with SF, but indeed, maybe it works also when you spray the cards with SF; In taht cas, it would go on any surface.
I will try this with my "brain" set.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10800 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On 2012-01-31 11:03, Waterloophai wrote:
Forgot also to mention: you get TWO cards in de Mona Lisa set and also in the Brain set. So yoy can do the trick twice with a different card.
I have sprayed a pad with SF, but indeed, maybe it works also when you spray the cards with SF; In taht cas, it would go on any surface.

Sure - the SF is meant for playing cards obviously.

Report back if you can... Smile

Even using the SF spray you would still need a surface other than a felt, velour, or typical soft surface mat. Yuu would also need to determine where to spray the cards needed - tops, middles, sides, or the whole card (?)
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1369 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
I tried it first with normal cards (luckely) and, whithout going into details, spraying the cards with a substance is a definitive NO NO.
If you use a rubber surface there is no probem.
If you use a plastic surface, you can treat it with SF and then it works also perfect.
But NOT the cards !
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3091 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
You need a "large" size close up pad for this to practical. In the US these the 16 x 23 inch size mats. This is fine if you "own" the table space but difficult for table hopping.
Doctor D
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Doctor D
Rune Klan suggests using the spray version of Post-It glue on a sketchpad. That way, you could even paint it vertically, and use something resembling an easel.
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3091 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
Rune Klan is a Genius, that would work and in a parlor show, which is really where this trick belongs, it would be awesome
Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1369 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
Quote:
On 2012-01-31 12:00, Doctor D wrote:
Rune Klan suggests using the spray version of Post-It glue on a sketchpad. That way, you could even paint it vertically, and use something resembling an easel.

No bad idea, but transporting a pad that is sprayed with post-it spray, needsd a protective sheet.
However, to do the trick with an easel (from a painter Smile) is a good idea for salon-magic.

Indeed, for table hopping this trick is not practical because of the space you need.
So it may be not so stupid to turn it in a salon-trick.

Thanks for the tip.
Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1369 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
If you construct an empty (real) painting (with the exact space for the 16 cards) with post-it glue (3M-mount)) and with real borders of a real painting, you can paint a real painting inside the borders !
Beautifull !!!!
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
2100 Posts

Love the idea but the need of a rubber pad is kinda a hassle for some. Any better idea for a teacher like me? There is no way I bring a big close up pad into classes lol.
BatsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1052 Posts

Profile of BatsMagic
This looks like a very nice "Reveal", but there is definitely going to be a problem with performing this as shown in the video. It just won't look the same if you lay each card down individually. I don't think SF is going to solve that, although I could be wrong- I should give it a try since I own SF. I almost hit the "Buy Now" button at least twice a day every day this week, but I've always changed my mind. Heck, the "Brain Scan" looks so good that I want to buy it even if I don't perform it!
BatsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1052 Posts

Profile of BatsMagic
Quote:
On 2012-01-31 11:03, Waterloophai wrote:

I just want to clarify this, Waterloophai- if I use the option to buy both versions, I'll actually be getting 4 sets of 16 cards, with 4 different reveals? I'm only asking because this is not made known in the listing for the product. That would definitely be a plus in determining if I get it!