The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: My Nielsen Dove Turns Yellow (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1378 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
Arg. I have had a number of Nielsen doves. They start out pristine white, but in short order they turn yellow. I have tried washing, bleaching, even painting! None of this restores them. Painting makes them, uh, 'sluggish to fluff out'. My Nielsen dove 'lives' in my magic trunk in a white silk. I have a show on Monday and got out my dove and it is YELLOW. Dang. It is not yet 6 months old. Just a baby.

Sure do hate to keep on buying new Nielsens when these are still functional. Suppose I could dye my other doves to match? Nope. Any suggestions?
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
ARNOMAGIE
View Profile
Regular user
France
200 Posts

Profile of ARNOMAGIE
I heard Jason Byrne get the same problem...

Joking!
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7676 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I wonder if you could use the Krylon plastic paint to repaint the dove. You need some kind of flexible paint or white latex. I wonder if they make a white tool dip stuff that goes on handles.

I would contact Norm or Lupe and ask them for some help. Also maybe makeup guy knows something that can be painted on like mask paint. I suspect there is some kind of reaction between the latex and the paint or colorant used in the latex.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Quote:
On 2011-04-09 19:53, Autumn Morning Star wrote:
Arg. I have had a number of Nielsen doves. They start out pristine white, but in short order they turn yellow. I have tried washing, bleaching, even painting! None of this restores them. Painting makes them, uh, 'sluggish to fluff out'. My Nielsen dove 'lives' in my magic trunk in a white silk. I have a show on Monday and got out my dove and it is YELLOW. Dang. It is not yet 6 months old. Just a baby.

Sure do hate to keep on buying new Nielsens when these are still functional. Suppose I could dye my other doves to match? Nope. Any suggestions?

I sure hope a Nielsen Dove is a prop and not a living dove….
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Profile of tropicalillusions
Autumn check with" Makeupguy" here on Café. He does rubber work, he just may know something???
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5727 Posts

Profile of Regan
Wow.....six months and it turned yellow? I was going to buy some Nielson Doves, but I don't think I will now. I wish I had a suggestion for a solution, but I don't know what might work on latex.
Mister Mystery
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

I have had mine for 2 years or more now with no problems, I do not store mine in the bag, it may sit loose in the box, or actually out of the box and laying in my dove work table most of the time.
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
LOL! It sure is.
Quote:
On 2011-04-10 09:22, Howie Diddot wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-04-09 19:53, Autumn Morning Star wrote:

I sure hope a Nielsen Dove is a prop and not a living dove….
Fábio De'Rose - Ilusionista
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4865 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
My Nielson dove has been in use for about 10 years and looks as good as the day I bought it. Like Chris, I don't keep mine is a plastic bag. I do keep it in the box it came in though.
Where the magic begins
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5454 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Like Dave, my Nielson dove is over 10 years old, has been used regularly, and sits on a shelf when not being used. It is still as white as the day it was bought! I lost the box to the thing over a decade ago. It did get gray once but that was just dirt and mild soap and water took care of that.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
MagicalMotivator
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of MagicalMotivator
I am another one who has had my Nielson dove for well over 10 years (and without any special care) - never a problem - I think you should contact NN - it could be a bad batch?

MM
Rick Rossini The Magical Motivator
www.rossinimagic.com
www.magicalmotivator.com
Neznarf
View Profile
Inner circle
NY then AZ now
1840 Posts

Profile of Neznarf
I keep mine in a plastic bag in my suitcase table.

They eventually get pretty dirty after while and the eyes fall out.

All that means is it's time for a new one.

Mine lays a egg (silk to egg) witha sponge ball in it.

Then I do sponge balls from the mouth. Seems to flow well

in the show.

Yeah, I know.....to much information.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
Dr. Solar
View Profile
Special user
Citrus Heights, Ca.
526 Posts

Profile of Dr. Solar
Hi Autumn,

Make sure you do not have lotions, creams or scented oils in contact with any latex product. These will wreck havoc with them. Vent figures quite often break down due to these. Some vents may feel the need to splash cologne or aftershave on themselves. Aftershave? In this day and age where everybody, guys that is, has to have a two to three day stubble even to get married. "Oh yeah, marriage today, honey, I forgot, I've been wallowing in the curb the last few days. Let rush over to the church."

Anyway, avoid those products with latex.

Dr. Solar
"look for me in all things forgotten"
www.drsolar.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I believe where you are storing the latex dove is our problem. The trunk may be giving off fumes, as most trunks are to store clothing, if that is what you are using. If not plastics and many materials can give off fumes that can affect Latex.

I keep my Norm Nielsen dove in a re-sealable plastic bag. Latex is also affected by heat, cold, and light. It can dry out and get hard spots and finally the whole piece is hard. My dove still looks new as when I purchased it.

Another way to store Latex is to put it in a plastic bag and store in the freezer. Then take it out the day before and let thaw at room temp. Of couse while in the freezer, keep it protected and do not throw it around while looking for other frozen foods, it will be frozen and will break from rough handling.

I have keep mine stored in a plastic bag in a trunk for years now. I keep it at room temp. as well, I do not recommend it be in an un-heated garage or in a basement that can dry out the latex.

Actully the silk can be drawing the mositure out of the latex, causing the latex to turn color, as that is a sign of losing its oils.
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
1378 Posts

Great suggestions! Clearly, I am doing something wrong. My doves have always yellowed after a few years or less. The eyes fall out, then they die. Smile

I use lightweight plastic trunks, BUT the lighter fluid scent might remain in the trunk from the flashpan. That might cause the discoloration! Believe it or not, I scrubbed the dove in the sink with a Mr. Clean's Magic Eraser and it became pretty darn white again! Hopefully, I did not erase the magic! That Magic Eraser works well! I use that eraser to clean fingerprints off my props. [Yep, if you perform a lot, you will find that there are lots of places on your props that have darkened from your fingerprints!]
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Go figure... Magic eraser. Thanks for the heads up on this.
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

I just may have to try this to see if it cleans the Rubber fruit we have for the orange lemon and canary. Thanks again AMS
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
1378 Posts

Tee-hee. Yep, go figure: Magic Eraser.
Doug Henning
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
Neilson has a Q&A section on their site that gives suggestions on how to store the doves. They do say that after a few years, latex tends to get brittle, which probably accounts for the eyes popping out.
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
1378 Posts

Thanks, Jakeg! I will check it out. The dove's eyes are still intact so she is not too old yet.
Doug Henning