The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Huron-Fith Vid...What you guys think ? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Gordon Pail
View Profile
New user
Chicago
54 Posts

Profile of Gordon Pail
I got a link from my friend and said that this video is from Bone's friend.

What you guys think..

http://www.vnfamily.com/files/Huron-Fith.WMV

Well, personally I think the video editing is alright. Secondly, having flash paper and card tricks seems like its a pain in the neck and whats more the pen knife.

The sticking of Flash paper to the card do also make no sense as I don't understand.

Thirdly, the cut out portion that is put into the magician pocket seems like the upper portion seems like it is torn instead of using pen knife cut.

Well the video is alright, effect is not what I want as it is very troublesome and not practical. I will give 1.5/5 stars.
HuronLow
View Profile
Special user
689 Posts

Profile of HuronLow
Hi,i'm Huron Low ,and this is my effect, Fire in the Hole. It is a torn and restored effect where the spectator signs 4 times on a card and they select any signature to be cut out.The hole in the card is then visually restored, the signature, back on the card. I meant this as a video for the magicians I know personally first for more feedback and improvement before I marketed it and introduced it to the Café.

I'm sorry you don't like it Gordon.However,in my opinion, this is definitely a very visual torn and restored.
I would say that flash paper is a great addition to any effect because fire plays big with any spectator.

I LOVE 'in a flash' by Jay Sankey and that incorporates flash paper or there's basically no effect left, as that's where all the 'visualness' of the effect comes from!
Next you could say it wasn't practical because you need that special deck which might take up pocket space.

However, if you want a new concept in torn and restored effects and something instead of the usual piece by piece or pop-open style restorations then this is for you! I know of many magicians who want something new and interesting in a t & r, well, so did I, and this is what i have come up with.

The use of a penknife makes it much cleaner and neater.Also, with this aspect, there is definitely spectator involvement. They get to select ANY signature they want to get cut off the card.

The sticking of flash paper which 'does not make any sense' simply plays with the routine and the title of the effect which is what is is all about.

The card is selected, it is signed on by the spectator, a signature is cut off, a grenade gets placed in front of the hole,it bursts into flames, VISUALLY restoring the hole!

Honestly, this makes the effect much more commercial and to a certain extent, sppealing and interesting.

If you feel this is impractical, we could move on to hollow, which is also a marvelous effect, which uses a hole puncher, definitely bigger then a slim penknife that can be carried anywhere.

I was inspired to create this by Brent Braun after I learnt Torched and Restored, and was motivated to further improve it when I saw Torn by daniel garcia. I wanted to create a visual torn and restored which would have improvements on other versions.
There is no force,and definitely no duplicates,the spectators sign on BOTH SIDES and the card is fully examinable before and after the effect.The reset time is 2 seconds and only one card is destroyed in the whole effect,the one they keep at the end of the effect! you SAVE cards!The gimmick is easy to make and it can be used over and over again. Plus, the angles are pretty good on this one.

What else could you ask for in a torn and restored?

Gordon, my effect is probably not for everyone, and the piece in the video was a cut out one, it was not torn, just to let you know.

I have worked on this for very long and I feel the effect is not impractical & if you feel carrying around flash paper is a pain then we could compare this once again somewhat to healed and sealed,(those who own it and know the method will know what i'm talking about), which i use ALL THE TIME.

If this is a hassle for you, then I'd say it is worth is for the CRAZY reactions I get.People scream, it has passed the 'family test' where my jaded mom screamed,twice.People have told me this is the best card effect they have ever seen upfront and close up.You can restore the card in a flash, or even gradually restore it upwards!The visual impact is so strong, people's jaws literally drop.

I have shown this to many magicians, and yes, I have fooled many magicians with this piece. I have been a little hesitant to release this but many have urged me to do so and I feel it is time for me to share this with my fellow magicians. I really hope most of you like it though, I will be putting down the video very soon as I'd like to make the final improvements and then prepare the manuscript before actually releasing this and reintroducing it to all of you. Thank you very much! I hope you like it. Cheers

Smile
The T&R Project.
A revolutionary take on the Torn & Restored card.

Available now at www.HuronLow.com
jbadman
View Profile
Special user
London
993 Posts

Profile of jbadman
I'll be honest, I just viewed the vid and I think it's a lovely idea and effect. The restoration appears extremely clean and neat. Can the card be handed out right after the restoration or are you left 'dirty' in any way ?

I think it's hard to comment on how fiddly it is to perform until you have more information; someone needs to review this puppy properly, not judge the effect from a demo vid.

Huron; it's cool. I look forward to seeing the final manuscript when it's ready; be sure to let us know on here when it's done!

Jamie.
http://www.underground-collective.com - check out our new DVD now!
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2286 Posts

Profile of Logan
Huron buddy!

Great! I finally get to see FITH and I gotta say, dude, this is sweet!

I wish you all the best with this one my friend! It is very promising and I would get one, you can count on that!

Take care,

Logan
You've been hit by, you've been struck by, a smooth criminal.

Singapore's Hairiest Corporate Comedy Magician!
mike stevenson
View Profile
Loyal user
276 Posts

Profile of mike stevenson
This looks very nice in my opinion! Logan's right, it is very promising!

Well done
AndiGladwin
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
587 Posts

Profile of AndiGladwin
I don't download many videos... my little 56k modem normally cries when I do. However, Jamie e-mailed me to tell me that I would love this one, so I downloaded it.

Huron; that's one very cool effect and I'm really glad I downloaded it... we should talk sometime with regards to how you're going to market it. Drop me a line if you fancy a quick chat about it!

--Andi
andi@andigladwin.co.uk | http://www.asquaredproductions.com
KC
View Profile
Special user
Utah
571 Posts

Profile of KC
Looks pretty cool.
Gordon Pail
View Profile
New user
Chicago
54 Posts

Profile of Gordon Pail
Well, just can't believe the people in this Café is so...

The effects looks ok and I believe that you guys can do better. And would you carry a flash paper and pen knife to perform this particular trick.

Come on Be sensible, what we want is something clean and neat.Something brand new. As magic is improving not deproving. As you guys said this is cool, I hope you guys can support what the coolness about what you guys say..

I am not here to arguing or what. But I hope that we can make better magic and better effect. It is great that we share videos and dicuss about. But don't get that poor fellow huron to learn the mistake. We should point out the mistake that we sees and amend him. So there is no bad magician out there. Saying cool by looking at it without supporting what you are saying does not help that fellow. Another word what you guys meant is that the trick is totally perfect that is so flawless.

Well, I think you should know better than any other one than yourself to what I am saying.
KC
View Profile
Special user
Utah
571 Posts

Profile of KC
Gordon,

The restoration looks pretty cool. And even though the torn & restored card concept has been beaten to death, I think that it is still

It may not be practical for ALL situations, but not every effect on the market is geared for all situations of (close-up) magic. There is close-up, close-up surrounded, close-up one or two people, and walk around/instant reset.

We don't necessarily need something "Clean." It sure helps if its clean, but it doesn't need to be 100% gimmick free. If you're a purist, it may not be for you.

K.C.
eebie376
View Profile
Elite user
415 Posts

Profile of eebie376
Huron, I think this effect looks great...definitely something I would buy!

Ian
sleightofhand1
View Profile
Elite user
447 Posts

Profile of sleightofhand1
just saw the video, this trick will burn them up!
it looks good and i bet plays very well....
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2286 Posts

Profile of Logan
Gordon,

If there is any downside to the trick it would be that the cutting out part is a little time consuming, but with practice, it should be alrite.

Maybe you may find that as a big downside, that's alrite, to each his own. But I think you're missing out my friend if you overlook this.

Take care bud,

Logan
You've been hit by, you've been struck by, a smooth criminal.

Singapore's Hairiest Corporate Comedy Magician!
jbadman
View Profile
Special user
London
993 Posts

Profile of jbadman
Gordon, I don't think you're seeing this as a spectator would. It's very magical. You're looking for coolness of method which is the wrong way to think about it. Show a layman the video and see what they think of it; I think you might be enlightened.

And yes, I'd carry a knife and flashpaper (I already do). Get one of those knives that look like pens. They clip on inside your pocket.

Jamie.
http://www.underground-collective.com - check out our new DVD now!
AndiGladwin
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
587 Posts

Profile of AndiGladwin
Quote:
On 2003-08-04 22:20, Gordon Pail wrote:
Come on Be sensible, what we want is something clean and neat.Something brand new. As magic is improving not deproving.

Then why not create such an effect?

Its all too easy to tell everyone else to create something better, but why not run the gauntlet and allow us to suggest improvements and provide constructive criticism to one of your effects?

I applaud originality. I don't know the creator of this effect, but I do know that its a nice, original idea (as far as torn and restored card is concerned) in a world where following the norm is far too easy.

Respectfully,

--Andi
HuronLow
View Profile
Special user
689 Posts

Profile of HuronLow
WOW! Thanks so much for all the kind words everyone! =) I've put a lot of effort into this and I really hope you guys love it when I release the manuscript.I have shared the method with a few magicians already and have gotten a lot of positive feedback! Thanks for all the support so far everyone!

Andi,thank you very much for the nice comments! I will be dropping you a line soon!

Logan buddy! HAha, glad you like it, sorry i didn't perform it to you in person that day, another time yeah?See you soon!

Gordon, as i said,this might not appeal to everybody but the reactions are highly satisfying.I guess it's personal perference but thank you for viewing this anyway. =)

I might be posting another video of this soon with the gradual restoration and a presentation.Thank you all!
The T&R Project.
A revolutionary take on the Torn & Restored card.

Available now at www.HuronLow.com
CLJ
View Profile
Loyal user
Singapore
281 Posts

Profile of CLJ
That is -
holy ****.

That is wicked! Reminds me of Brent Braun's Torched and Restored.

I just gotta say that that is one of the most visual T&R routines I've ever seen.

How practical is this in real life? You've probably performed it hundreds of times, but I just want some verification...

if it ever goes on the market, I would buy it, even if it wasn't practical to perform in front of a real audience. That is creative.
"Watch this, you ready now? Watch this, watch, watch, watch, watch now, watch closely, watch this, you watching now? Watch, watch..." - David Blaine
clui
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of clui
WOAH!! I didn't expect to see a video up so soon. I first saw it in person a few months ago and it just blew me away. At the time it was still in development and it just kept getting better. I must say that the video is nothing compared to a live performance, it is one effect which looks much better live than on video!! The restoration is much more visual!!! To all those wondering how clean it is, it is VERY CLEAN. Huron let me into the workings of the effect and I must say it is absolutely genius. Well that's just my 2 cents worth. I hope that you guys will like it too as much as I do. I am in no way affiliated to Huron but if you want a piece of VISUAL magic then I would definately recommend this to you all. Smile
CLJ
View Profile
Loyal user
Singapore
281 Posts

Profile of CLJ
That is incredible...

I MUST learn that one way or another...
"Watch this, you ready now? Watch this, watch, watch, watch, watch now, watch closely, watch this, you watching now? Watch, watch..." - David Blaine
Rockferd
View Profile
New user
GA
1 Post

Profile of Rockferd
Gordon:

I gotta agree with the guys on this - Huron's routine is both magical and visually pleasing.

You sound more like someone with a grudge than someone who's being objective. If you had done a lot of shows, you'd realize that actually 1) the cutting sequence is not too long and that it has some dramatic value 2) carrying the little knife is not necessarily a "pain in the neck" 3) since it's common to have some residual attachment or incomplete cutting -whatever you want to call it - it wouldn't be uncommon to have to use some force to remove the cut out piece.

Also, "the video editing"? This is not a production DVD from A-1 or Bob Kohler - it's a demo video that shows enough - and clearly - that we need to see. The problems I've seen with some of these videos include "too dark" or "not close enough", neither of which are true here.

Right on, Huron. Good work.

Rocky
dillib
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of dillib
Good visual effect, a very impossible-looking restoration! Great work Huron!