The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Oriental Nest of Boxes (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
~michael baker
The Magic Company
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Really works of art Michael. Makes me wish I were flush enough to buy a set just to look at. Great color choices. Nice going.
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3045 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Gorgeous work, Michael.

Are you using those do-it-yourself decal sheets?
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
As the saying goes, the photos don't really do this justice. I have an older 2.1 MP camera, and the lighting could have been better, too.

Yes, I make the decals. Some are clear backed to pick up the paint color(s) underneath, and others are white backed for opacity.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
lin
View Profile
Special user
California
880 Posts

Profile of lin
Stunning!

thanks Smile
donrodrigo
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A. and Europe
635 Posts

Profile of donrodrigo
Work like this belongs in a gallery.
chill
View Profile
Veteran user
colorado, usa
385 Posts

Profile of chill
Excellent!
I spent most of my money on magic and women, the rest i just wasted
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2582 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
Very nice, but Michael I think you should call them "Asian Nest of Boxes" to avoid appearing un-PC.

;)
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
Magic Researcher
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of Magic Researcher
Mr. Baker;
Absolutely stunning!

I'd plug the lock key hole and dip the lock body in clear tool dip to coat it - then cut a key hole opening in the dip material. This would prevent the lock body from scratching up your beautiful work.

Well done, sir.
MR
Repeating a falsehood often and loudly does not make it true.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
That set of Nesting Boxes would make Norm Nielsen Jealous!
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9500 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Quote:
On 2010-03-16 09:02, thegreatnippulini wrote:
Very nice, but Michael I think you should call them "Asian Nest of Boxes" to avoid appearing un-PC.

;)

I'm confused on that too. An Asian friend said that Asians are the people and the Orient is the area... so... people are Asians but Oriental Rugs are Oriental. But then again you can call something the East Asian Mystery and that's correct. So would Oriental refer to a long-gone time or does the Oriental Express need to change it's name too.

Nice work, by the way.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Great work, Michael. Those boxes have the feel of oriental look.
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Quote:
On 2010-03-17 10:19, JamesTong wrote:
Great work, Michael. Those boxes have the feel of oriental look.

There you have it.
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Beautiful work, Michael.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Thanks for the comments everyone. Not sure where the oriental vs asian thing was going. I was only using terminology consistent with what my customers would use to reference such a prop. Certainly nothing from me but respect for the style, or I would not be trying so hard to do it justice. Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Dr. Solar
View Profile
Special user
Citrus Heights, Ca.
526 Posts

Profile of Dr. Solar
Hi Michael,

Very fine work indeed. You say you make the decals? silkscreen with screen decal lacquer and release paper? did you ever find any self latching jewelry box locks that we exchanged emails a year or so ago?

How much these going for by the way?

Best wishes,
Doc
"look for me in all things forgotten"
www.drsolar.com
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Just two questions - can you make me one for cheap out of scrap wood, and can you add a jumping spider to the inner-most box?

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Nice job Michael! I really love the final outcome.
Chance
Creator of Wacky Wolf Productions & Fine Collectibles

A DECADE of building Magic and we're just getting started!

http://www.wolfsmagic.com
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Doc, The decals are printed, but not silk screened. As I progress and learn more, that would be an area I'd love to learn more about. No luck on the small spring latches. All indication are that they were made specifically for the props. At this point that is beyond my metal skills and likely cost prohibitive. As you can see, I am feeding my nested boxes needs with other designs. Smile I sold 3 of the 4 sets for $625. each, and plan to keep set #4.

TW, Oh, you want my deluxe model, the "cheeky-elite"! Smile

Chance, Thanks for the kind words. That means a lot, as I'm a big fan of your work. I've been to Bill Trotter's place a couple times, so have seen lots of your pieces in person.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5727 Posts

Profile of Regan
Michael, those are beautiful!!!!!!!!!

I too have been thinking about learning more about making waterslide decals. I did check into them a little when I was first planning my Rainbow House project. Uncertainty steered me away, but someday I would like to try and make some of my own.

Great job!!!!

Regan
Mister Mystery