The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Review: Tarot Reading Secrets DVD set by Dean Montalbano (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
mota
View Profile
Inner circle
1658 Posts

Profile of mota
Tarot Reading Secrets, two DVD set by Dean Montalbano…$75 available from http://www.leapinglizardsmagic.com/

What follows is my opinion/review of the two DVD set, Tarot Reading Secrets by Dean Montalbano. It will quickly become obvious that I like this DVD set very much.

Physically this is a two DVD set in two cases professionally produced with optional subtitles that can be accessed from the opening menu. Before I get in to the discussion I want to comment on the author, Dean Montalbano. Who is he and why should you listen to what he says on this subject?

Many here know him from his magic publishing and have some of his books…when you go to his web page you will probably see many titles you recognize and already have on your shelf. What Dean brings to the table for readings is 36 years of real-world experience with the last 15 years experience including entertainment readings. Dean has done 3,000 – 5,000 readings each year for each of those years…that is a lot of experience talking.

In short he isn’t some magician who writes about dreams and fantasies and hasn’t walked the walk. He doesn’t make exaggerated claims or false promises. It is obvious when watching this DVD set Dean brings a very kind and compassionate approach to the subject. In short Dean is the reader many of us strive to be and in my opinion this DVD set teaches much of how he does it, both from a practical and an emotional standpoint.

So on to the DVDs…
The first DVD is just over an hour and forty-one minutes long. The sections are:
Introduction
Numerology
Symbols
Minor Arcana
Court Cards
Major Arcana

Before I get too in to the details I should mention that there is no fluff in this DVD set. Almost every sentence has content that teaches you something. As a result consider what I write here as only a partial description of what is covered. I hope to touch on enough in this review to give you a feel of this DVD set.

I should also mention that this set is for both total beginners and experienced readers. Whether you know nothing about tarot or have done it for years you will find much here to make you a very, very good tarot reader.

The DVD starts with the basics, numerology and symbols of the suits. Others have used this approach before and it is a practical, good approach. Even in this basic section a couple very nice teaching tools make their appearance.

First Dean uses cards from several different decks to illustrate what he is saying. He also uses animations that help bring the subject alive. His approach is not based on cold or hot reading. No center tears or other tricks are used. It is just you, the sitter, and your cards.

After the first couple sections you will be able to basically understand what the cards mean. Then things really get wonderful as Dean talks about the cards individually in the sections devoted to the minor arcana, court cards, and major arcana. If you don’t know what arcana is, don’t worry. That, as well as other relevant terms, are also discussed.

If you have had the experience of reading about a trick and not understanding, then seeing someone do the trick and going, “AHA!” then you know the advantage of DVD’s. Dean goes through each card and talks about it…other ways to look at each card, other meanings and various ramblings that fill out the instruction.

It is like being at a jam session with an experienced reader. After putting some time in to the first DVD you will have a good starting knowledge of how to read tarot. If you keep a notebook for tarot, as many do, you will fill many pages with the insights here.

So now you know how to read tarot from a basic standpoint. What do you do in the real world? That is where the second DVD comes in to play.

The second DVD is about an hour and thirty four minutes long. The sections are:
What is a reading?
Tarot Spreads
The Business
Ethics

Again, what I write here will only touch on what is covered but I hope to hit a few interesting points.

In the section on tarot spreads Dean shares a spread of his invention, the Elemental Star spread. This spread uses five cards and is very good for short readings. It can also be used for long readings. Entire books are devoted to tarot spreads and sometimes it is just too much information. You are given here a tried and true spread.

He talks about how long of a time span a reading should cover and many other practical issues. What if they ask if their spouse is cheating on them? How about when they ask if they will die? How do you handle these, and other, difficult questions? Dean has very practical solutions to these challenges.

How about making money with tarot readings? Dean basically teaches both how to busk with readings and how to do parties.

When you are busking how do you get good tips? What do you say when someone wants to give you one dollar for a reading? What should you have in your contract for parties? How do you set up to keep people from just not leaving at the end of a reading? What if they just keep asking more questions? What can you use to make it obvious the reading is over, while still being graceful about it? Should you use a sign-up list? What if they ask about someone else? How do you end the line after a party? Anyone who has ever done similar work where you do things for people individually (readings, balloons, caricatures) knows this can be an issue. All of these questions and many other issues of practical importance are covered.

The ethics (philosophy) section is also very interesting. Dean basically discusses three approaches a person might have concerning readings. These range from total belief to none at all. How do you do readings so they are consistent with your personal values?

What about lines and scripts, cold reading, hot reading, and tricks? Where does intuition fit in to all of this?

Also on the second DVD is a printable PDF version of Dean’s book, “Tarot With Tude’ “. This saves you twenty bucks and is a very good book that has been discussed before elsewhere.

I hope I have given you a feel for what this DVD set is like. It is a kind, experienced tarot reader showing you his approach, honed through tens of thousand of readings over several decades. He doesn’t claim it is the only approach, just what has worked for him.

Highly, highly recommended for those who want to learn to read tarot, or learn to read it better than they do now and for those who want real answers to how to make money with tarot.
Doctor REvil
View Profile
Elite user
469 Posts

Profile of Doctor REvil
Great review, thank you.
Karma means you buy now & pay later.....think I've over spent....!

Check out my ebooks at the lybrary.....

http://www.lybrary.com/david-gemmell-m-13404.html
uhrenschmied
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of uhrenschmied
According to the website the DVD is NTSC coded. Any special reason why the producer wants to exclude half of the world ?

Regards,
Rocketeer
View Profile
Special user
Westchester, NY
965 Posts

Profile of Rocketeer
I think I can answer your question uhrenchmied. A disc must be either NTSC, PAL, or SECAM. It's not like region codes where you can make a disc region free. We're talking about three incompatible electronic standards. Since Dean is in the US it's only natural that he created an NTSC disc, the North American stardard.

If you want to play a disc made for "foreign" standards, just get a multi-standard DVD player. PM me and I'll tell you a good source in the US but I'm sure you can get them in Europe too.

Rocky (Tom)
I'm selling my hardcover autographed limited edition copy of Jerome Finley's "Thought Veil"

PM me for info.
leapinglizards
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of leapinglizards
And correct you are, Rocketeer. Ya have to pick one technology or another to use..

The dvd is NOT region coded, however.
Leaping Lizards!!! Who knew it was possible.
<BR>
<BR>www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com
uhrenschmied
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of uhrenschmied
I stand corrected. I assumed that the disclaimer NTSC encoded implies the use of region code. Thank you for clarifying that.

Regards,
CALENIG
View Profile
Regular user
UK
199 Posts

Profile of CALENIG
So will it play in the UK with no problem?
Trin
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of Trin
How does this compare with Blair Robertson's Tarot dvd?
leapinglizards
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

CALENIG, the DVD is in NTSC format, meaning it will play on Televisions and DVD players that adhere to that technology. Those countries are: Canada, Chile, Costa Rica, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Japan, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Peru, Philippines, Puerto Rico, South Korea, Taiwan, and U.S.A.

There is no region coding however, so if you are in another country and currently watch DVDs that are in NTSC format on your equipment, you probably have a machine that makes the conversion. Many computer softwares for playing DVDs will play either PAL or NTSC DVDs provided they are not region coded. (Region coding has nothing to do with it being NTSC or PAL.)

So, because these are NOT region coded, you may (depending on your equipment and I cannot know what you have or do not have) be able to play them on your DVD and television- but SHOULD, either way, be able to view them on your computer, assuming your computer has a DVD ROM drive and software to play DVDs.

If a DVD is region coded, you cannot play it on your computer unless you switch the region of your DVD ROM which typically you are allowed to do a limited number of times.

I have one DVD rom on my computer coded to region 2 (United Kingdom, Europe, South Africa, Japan, and Middle East) , another coded to region 4 (Australia, New Zealand, Pacific Islands, Caribbean, Central America, Mexico, South America)
and another coded to region 1 (U.S., Canada, U.S. Territories) so I always know I can watch a DVD from anywhere. (Ok except region 3 5 6 and 8)

As to THIS DVD... if you are trying to watch an NTSC DVD on a PAL machine without some kind of converter, it probably won't work. BUT, if you have a DVD rom drive in your computer and can watch DVDs on it, more than likely it WILL work.

I hope that sort of clarifies things....
<BR>
Trin
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of Trin
Hey just got this dvd set.

Can confirm this plays on UK dvd players.

This is a great dvd set, clear picture, great sound, and great information and detailed explanations,

This is my first product from Leaping Lizards, although I purchased the dvd from a Uk magic shop!!

Hope Leaping Lizards will release a Palmistry dvd.
leapinglizards
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Palmistry SHOULD be around the end of the year or beginning of next.
<BR>
CALENIG
View Profile
Regular user
UK
199 Posts

Profile of CALENIG
Thanks Dean.

I will invest in the DVD.

Many thanks Lee
sgrossberg
View Profile
Special user
Southern California
739 Posts

Profile of sgrossberg
Let's start with the trivial disclaimer: Dean is a friend and my publisher. That being said, he did not ask me to write this and I'm certain this is a surprise to him.

Now, on to the important stuff: I just spent the day watching Dean's 2 volume set of "Inner Secrets" for Tarot. This is something I can heartily recommend. These discs contain real world, solid information. In fact, I found Dean's instruction and information on the Court cards and the interplay with astrology, in particular, refreshing.

More importantly, for those of you who want to move beyond simply knowing and understanding the cards for yourselves, Dean provides you with solid tips and tricks for handling restaurants, table-hopping, psychic parties, private readings, etc. Personally, I think Dean's suggestions on ethics and how to manage readings is worth more than the price of the DVD's, alone.

I hasten to add that I share Dean's opinion regarding interpreting the cards; namely, it is more about what you feel/sense/intuit about the symbolism and patterns than hard-and-fast definitions. That being said, for those of you new to Tarot, this set readily provides you with enough tools and explanations to get on your Tarot feet rather quickly. Of course, you could spend a lifetime learning the cards, their symbols, patterns, spreads, etc.

Don't discount the fact that Dean has also included a PDF version of his Tarot book for those of you who need reinforcement or learn better in that type of setting.

I look forward to the other DVD's in the series. Dean keep up the terrific work! - Scott
bhayankaran
View Profile
Regular user
India
146 Posts

Profile of bhayankaran
I got this set as a gift for my wife interested in tarot.
She has completed watching the first dvd and have great words for it.
bhayankaran
View Profile
Regular user
India
146 Posts

Profile of bhayankaran
By the way she is not that impressed with the second dvd
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Quote:
On 2009-11-26 13:12, bhayankaran wrote:

I can understand that 100%. The second volume goes into the business aspects of working as a reader, this type of information may not be of as much interest to someone with an interest as a reader, but not an interest in applying Tarot as a psychic entertainer.

I enjoyed this set and found valuable information on both volumes. There were some valuable tips on the business end that resolved some issues I've had for many years.

As I said in a previous review, I highly recommend this set.

Tony Iacovello
bhayankaran
View Profile
Regular user
India
146 Posts

Profile of bhayankaran
Quote:
On 2009-11-27 23:53, Tony Iacoviello wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-11-26 13:12, bhayankaran wrote:

I can understand that 100%. The second volume goes into the business aspects of working as a reader, this type of information may not be of as much interest to someone with an interest as a reader, but not an interest in applying Tarot as a psychic entertainer.

Tony Iacovello

She was actually looking for more info on the reading aspects, she agrees
bhayankaran
View Profile
Regular user
India
146 Posts

Profile of bhayankaran
By the way she is trying to digest the business aspects and she is is starting to like the second volume..
If posssible, a full technical video only on reading would be much appreciated by people like her. On tarot whats the new thing going to happen ?
Any more exciting releases from leaping lizards in the near future Dean?
leapinglizards
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Yes, there will be a release for the public new age sect, but this DVD set was made for and marketed for Psychic Entertainers and mentalists, so it has more of the insider work as well.

Thanks for all the positive comments, and to answer your question, we are editing our next DVD on Palm Reading for a late January release.
<BR>
Dan Dent
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Dan Dent
Does Dean perform any sample readings on the DVDs?