The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Ambitious Card Routine: Daryl's Video or Michael Ammar's Easy to Master Card Miracles Volume 2 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
UNREAL
View Profile
New user
Bronx, NY
77 Posts

Profile of UNREAL
Basically, I want to purchase my first card video. I really want to learn the Ambitious Card and I'm thinking about getting Ammar's volume two video because it has that routine plus many others. But is it worth getting Daryl's video instead?
"There is no spoon."
ChrisMagic52
View Profile
Loyal user
North Vancouver, Canada
216 Posts

Profile of ChrisMagic52
I would have to say the Ammar tape for a first Card video because not only do you get to learn the Ambitious Card rotuine, but you get to learn a whole lot of classic card effects, like Card Warp, Twisting the Aces, and Daley's Last trick. Smile
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of marko
Daryl's video contains much more information about the Ambitious Card routine than Ammar's. There's no contest there, Daryl wins.

Ammar merely offers his short version, which is certainly good, but may not fit everyone. However, on Ammar's video, you'll learn such classics as Twisting The Aces, Daley's Last Trick, Card Warp, and MacDonald's Aces among others. So if you're just looking for good strong card magic, you've got to go with Ammar.
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Mark Martinez
View Profile
Inner circle
Wisconsin
1276 Posts

Profile of Mark Martinez
Quote:
On 2003-06-09 21:42, UNREAL wrote:
Basically, I want to purchase my first card video.

After reading your post I would recommend getting Ammar's video. If this is truly your first card video Ammar offers more effects for you to add to your repertoire.

The Daryl video has a better Ambitious Card routine, but in my opinion the best time to get this video is when you are ready to start creating your own Ambitious Card routines.
Magically,
Mark

Success comes before work only in the dictionary. - Anonymous
phonic69
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of phonic69
Go with Ammar, especially if it is your first magic video - he will offer far more that Daryl (in terms of effects).

Smile
Steven Leung
View Profile
Inner circle
found the Magic Rainbow after
1614 Posts

Profile of Steven Leung
Daryl's tape only covers effect about the Ambitious Card, while Michael Ammar's tape has 10 routines, and they are great routines, not to mention that they are easy to learn.

After you are familiar with Ammar's Ambitious Card routine (to me it is already decent to spectators), then you can go on to Daryl's which will teach you many moves to construct your own Ambitious Card routine.

I hope that this can help you to make the right decision.
Most memorable moment - with Maestro Juan Tamariz & Consuelo Lorgia in FISM Busan 2018.

"Being fooled by a trick doesn't always mean they are having a good time" - Homer Liwag

https://hhpresents.com/
https://www.glitchstudiohk.com/
Paris
View Profile
Regular user
Paris
110 Posts

Profile of Paris
All of Ammar's Easy to Master Card Miracles are excellent. They are very strong effects, that have been simplified. There is rarely any complicated palming or moves. This is ideal for any new card magician.
dillib
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of dillib
The Ammar series will be much better for a beginner, because it offers so many more ideas compared to Daryl's Ambitious Card video which just focuses on one routine. Ammar's card videos contain simple, yet powerful magic.
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1387 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
Daryl's Ambitious Card video is geared towards the individual that has a desire to create his own personal Ambitious Card routine.

Ammar teaches a very concise (but effective) Ambitious Card routine, as well as many other powerful effects.

So the question is, would you like to create your own Ambitiousccard routine? The answer to that question will tell you what video to get.
Marcelo
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of Marcelo
I suggest the Ammar video too since you will use the other effects in the video, but if is just about the Ambitious Routine, Daryl is far superior and deeper. But, if I were you, I probably would save the money and get a book. Books have more value for the money you will spend.
FZandura
View Profile
Loyal user
North Carolina
247 Posts

Profile of FZandura
I was recently in your shoes. I was getting back into magic after a long absence, and had never bought any videos before. My first purchase was Daryl's Encyclopedia of Card Sleights Vol 1, which was very good, but dealt with sleights only.

I then bought Ammar's Easy to Master Card Miracles Vol 2. I am extremely happy with the Ammar video, and am hoping to buy another volume very soon. If you're just now buying you first video, go for the breadth of effects that the Ammar video has to offer. You will be very happy with your purchase!

Smile
F. Zandura
Bone
View Profile
Loyal user
Totally lost...
264 Posts

Profile of Bone
Unreal,

I suggest you should get both, if not get all 6 vols of Easy to Master Card Miracleds by Ammar.

Daryl's AC is a good and very long routine.

Bone
Email: bone@boneho.com

myspace.com/boneho
youtube.com/boneho
twitter.com/boneho
facebook.com/boneho

Official Website:
www.boneho.com
Sean
View Profile
Loyal user
No Cal
205 Posts

Profile of Sean
I'll ditto most of the comments here. I have the Ammar DVD and the Daryl DVD. My recommendation is to get the Ammar DVD, learn all the great effects and sleights he teaches, including a decent AC routine, then get the Daryl DVD to build on the Ammar routine.

IMHO, Ammar's ETMCM Vol. 2 is worth the price just for Daley's Last Trick, That's It (if I can figure out that darn thumb sleight!), and Ambitious Card.
Magyckmyke
View Profile
New user
Lafayette La
57 Posts

Profile of Magyckmyke
Is there a good DVD out yet on card flourishes? Are the McBride tapes good for this?
Craig Krisulevicz
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia, PA
647 Posts

Profile of Craig Krisulevicz
I don't know of any good flourish Dvd's. McBride's tapes are mainly manipulations with a few flourishes. If you are interested in flourishes, check out flourishman.com. That encyclopedia is worth ten times what it costs.
Who is John Galt?
Fred E. Bert
View Profile
Veteran user
New York, NY
359 Posts

Profile of Fred E. Bert
Michael Ammar's Easy To Master Card Miracles Vol. 2 was my first magic video and it's a great introduction. The guy at the magic shop just floored me with Card Warp, and I had to have it. This particular video features 5 effects that I do all the time: Twisting The Aces, Dr. Daley's Last Trick, Card Warp, That's It!, and The Ambitious Card. This is more effects that I perform per video than any other video. I highly recommend it.

As far as the Ambitious Card routine, I suggest starting with Ammar's, but make sure you can do a clean double lift before you perform it. If your audience suspects the move, then the magic is gone.

If you like to perform the Ambitious Card, you'll probably end up constructing your own routine. Daryl's video is good for this, but I don't think it features a wealth of moves. Lately, I've been relying on passes and the Erdnase color change in favor of double lifts in my routine (none of which I believe are featured in the Daryl video). Daryl's last phase is really cool (the deck is wrapped with a rope), but Jay Sankey has a similar closing (deck is wrapped with a rubber band), that does not require any preparation, on his Sankeytized videos (I forget which one).

And one last thing -- if you're new to card magic, I highly suggest getting Ammar's Vol. 2. Yes, you'll get more from books. I now prefer books over videos, but had I not gotten my foundation from the Easy To Master Card videos (I got them all), I would have struggled with books.

Start with The Easy To Master series, then move on to books like Paul Harris' Art Of Astonishment, David Regal's books ("Primate" from Close-Up & Personal is an Ambitious Card-type effect that's IMO stronger than an Ambitious Card routine) or Harry Lorayne's Apocalypse (each volume should keep you busy for a decade). Incidentally, Harry Lorayne has a good Ambitious Card routine in his book Close-Up Card Magic, which is another must-have.
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of marko
Isn't "Primate" a sandwich effect? It's clever, but no rival to the Ambitious Card.

I'm also strongly in favor of books over videos for various reasons, but the Ammar series is a definite exception, and quite simply contains some of the best card magic you'll find anywhere. As it should be - for these effects are by some of magic's top masters of past and present. I knew over half of the effects already before buying the series, but that didn't stop me from learning new things and refining some old handlings.
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
ThorstenHappel
View Profile
Loyal user
Düsseldorf / New York, NY
203 Posts

Profile of ThorstenHappel
No doubt about it: the Michael Ammar Easy to Master Card Miracles series is a GREAT way to start with in card magic. And the second tape/DVD is a particularly good one. Get as many of the Ammar DVDs as you can, study them, and learn everything you can. Michael Ammar is an excellent teacher.

Once you feel comfortable with a deck of cards, you might get Daryl's tape.

And don't forget to read Roberto Giobbi's Card College 1-5. Every single volume will keep you busy for a while. Those are five of the most valuable books about card magic ever written.

Have fun!
Thorsten
-----------------------------------------

"If this be magic, let it be an art ..."
-- William Shakespeare, The Winter's Tale, Act 5, Scene 3
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of marko
Ammar's finishing up the next three volumes (7,8,& 9) as we speak. Sweet!
cyc
View Profile
New user
Montreal
57 Posts

Profile of cyc
Quote:
On 2003-06-10 16:25, Magyckmyke wrote:
Is there a good DVD out yet on card flourishes? Are the McBride tapes good for this?

Hi,

What type of flourishes are you looking for? If you want cool card cuts, maybe you should check out Brian Tudor's Showoff 2 (I'm not sure if it's available in DVD format, though).