The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Where can I find "contact" paper? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1627 Posts

Profile of JNeal
I'm looking for a source for self adhesive vinyl or what used to be sold as contact paper in hardware stores. Specifically, blue and red solid sheets. I'm not looking for huge quantities ...maybe a yard or so each.

Years ago, this was available everywhere, and when I visit Japan , I know just where to find it! Unfortunately, I'm home in L.A Any suggestions other than art stores? Any particular online sources that will sell small quantities?
Thanks!
visit me @ JNealShow.com
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
They have tons of it at Home Depot and Lowe's.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
leapinglizards
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of leapinglizards
Dick Blick Art Supply sells Flexcon Films (contacts heavier brother) by the foot.
Leaping Lizards!!! Who knew it was possible.
<BR>
<BR>www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Since the vanish of the Dime Store era, rolls of Contact paper have vanished also. I seen a display at Meir Store (this is a large food and product store competing against Wal-Mart in our area). They were sold in packs cut in squares. They did have many colors and the sparkle sheets also.
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
1627 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Thanks Gents,
I also found it on Amazon but would have to buy a huge quantity. I think there is a Blick nearby ...sadly I'm far away from a Lowe's
visit me @ JNealShow.com
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Quote:
On 2009-08-22 14:15, JNeal wrote:
I think there is a Blick nearby ...sadly I'm far away from a Lowe's

There is no Blick store here but I wish there was. Between Wallyworld, Lowes and HD they have put all the rest of the great little hardware and general merchandise stores we once had to rest here. Blick online is good though.

Good luck with your project.

-=tabman
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
bojanbarisic
View Profile
Elite user
Croatia
462 Posts

Profile of bojanbarisic
Jonathan,
I guess you need it for Cuba Libre. I am a graphic designer and have vinyl cuters and printers. Tell me what you need and I will send it to you for free. Also, if there is a specific font you would like to use to cut the numbers let me know.

Best,
Bojan
comicjenius
View Profile
New user
Spartanburg, SC
33 Posts

Profile of comicjenius
Check with your friendly neighborhood Printer! If they don't have what you need they can order it for you and usually have it delivered by their supplier next day.

The Amazing Keni
World's Greatest Entertainer!
(In My Price Range!)
:)
comicjenius
View Profile
New user
Spartanburg, SC
33 Posts

Profile of comicjenius
Check with your friendly neighborhood Printer! If they don't have what you need they can order it for you and usually have it delivered by their supplier next day.

The Amazing Keni
World's Greatest Entertainer!
(In My Price Range!)
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7678 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Go to a sign shop or to a supplier for signage materials. I know my cousin works for Piedmont plastic and he can get a variety of adhesive vinyls. There are also a number of places on line that sells sign vinyl. Ebay has many guys selling small rolls of stuff.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Just watch your television info commercials, they sell a thing called the cricket that can cut self adhesive fonts and letters or any design you want and as large as you want all automatically.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
http://www.cricut.com/

... but something like this will actually cut sign vinyl and works with a PC:

http://www.signwarehouse.com/cutters/gr/gr_robo.html
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Quote:
On 2009-08-22 14:25, bojanbarisic wrote:...what you need and I will send it to you for free...

The best of Magic and Magicians!!

-=tabman
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
1627 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Thanks everyone for your timely and much needed responses! I struck out at the local Blick store...they looked at me like I was from Mars when I asked for adhesive colored vinyl!

Thanks to the good members of this forum, I went to Blick online and found what I think is the right stuff. Still, Richard Hughes' suggestion found me on ebay and the same material in even smaller quantities.

In Tokyo and it's surrounding cities, there is a chain of stores called "Tokyu Hnads" that sells about 60 colors in a a variety of widths. This is where I normallly shop, but I nhave no plans for visiting there in the next few months and want to get theis project rolling.

As BojanBarisic correctly intuits, it is for the Durham version of Cube-A-Libre and I was trying to cover the blocks as he did, without going to a lot of painting procedures. I have plenty of white adhesive vinyl left over from my last trip to Japan for the numbers. I can cut those out by hand, but thank you all...for the suggestions and offers regarding cutting the numbers out.
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Craig Dickens
View Profile
Veteran user
380 Posts

Profile of Craig Dickens
They have a good selection at Virgils hardware in Glendale. On Glendale Blvd south of the 134.
e-mail at:magicaldickens@aol.com
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
Quote:
On 2009-08-22 12:02, JNeal wrote:
Unfortunately, I'm home in L.A Any suggestions other than art stores? Any particular online sources that will sell small quantities?
Thanks!

If you go to Koontz Hardware at 8914 Santa Monica Boulevard in WeHo , you'll find a plethora of colors and patterns available on a price-per-yard basis.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
WOW... do I miss Virgil's! One of the last real hardware stores around that area. I might make a trip by soon just to look at the bins of toys.
Ray Pierce
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Koontz has everything.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Quote:
On 2009-08-22 16:06, ClintonMagus wrote:

... but something like this will actually cut sign vinyl and works with a PC:

http://www.signwarehouse.com/cutters/gr/gr_robo.html

THAT looks like it would be a lot of fun to have...wow!
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
1627 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Well, I went to both Koontz and Virgils...both incredible traditional hardware stores!! so thanks, Pete, Donal and Craig for the advice. Ray, I agree...there is nothing like just poking around an 'old style' hardware store. Even found the contact paper too....

Blocks are painted, now I'm making the sh***ls ....(is that secretive enough?!) and deciding on the appropriate color scheme.
visit me @ JNealShow.com