The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Matthew Wright. 'The Unusual Suspect' dvd (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1711 Posts

Profile of Markymark
Stunning dvd from this young man.If you like engaging presentations in the manner of
Eugene Burger [one of his teachers] then you will love this.

There are 2 great pieces with the Mullica wallet,a 3 fly where the last coin visibly flys across.[Yes,it does use what you think,in a clever way],an incredible
finding 10 signed cards[imagine being in the Forks hotel with Del Ray sitting at the
bar and everyone cheering on Eddie Fechter as he finds 10 selections in impossible
ways!] You won't be doing this anytime soon but it's great stuff to aim for.

I love the script for his ambitious card.

These are fully fleshed out routines with a beginning,a middle and an ending done
at a bar in England.Matthew has a great character who reminds me of Peter Kay.
An English comedian. Thank you Matthew for putting this out,briliant dvd,best one
I've bought since the Tommy Wonder set 5 years ago!
''In memory of a once fluid man,crammed and distorted by the classical mess'' -Bruce Lee
Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
Another DVD of a bloke in a pub doing tricks. Looks like the same old material (3 fly, multiple card selection, ambitious card) with yet another performer adding his 'unique' twist.

What's genuinely new here?
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
2055 Posts

Profile of Daren
Well I can add that his ambitious card is not the usual putting the card in the middle and then back to the top, totally different and brilliant!
antonio123
View Profile
Regular user
Croatia
138 Posts

Profile of antonio123
You are right Andi , lets burn all books, videos and DVDs after Slydini,Marlo and Vernon. Or maybe after Houdin and Hofzinser.

I bought the Benjamin Earl, Matthew Dowden and Michael Vincent DVDs from Alakazam. And it was the right decision. All are great.

I want to see new ways. Handlings from other perfomers. Books or DVDs, no matter.

You don't like Alakazam. You have your reasons. that's ok. But its about the perfomer. don't adjudge the perfomer. This is not ok. He share with us his secrets and visibilities. You can take it or leave it. It is your decision.
Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
Quote:
On 2009-06-27 17:37, antonio123 wrote:

You don't like Alakazam.

I like Alakazam. I was merely asking a question about the dvd.

I used to think 100% of Alakazam's products were great, now I think some are put out just for the £££

You'll see both positive and negative reviews of their stuff from me.

Daren answered my original question. He helped. You just put me down because you didn't like what I asked. You made me cry.
Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1711 Posts

Profile of Markymark
Andi, If you can do the 'same old material' as well as Matthew you don't need much
more! Matthew Wright does not say the 'same old things' while he is performing these classics.

Granted he is solving problems for himself that may not suit you but I got a lot
more inspiration to practice then I have got off most anything 'new'
''In memory of a once fluid man,crammed and distorted by the classical mess'' -Bruce Lee
Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
Quote:
On 2009-06-27 18:09, Markymark wrote:
Andi, If you can do the 'same old material' as well as Matthew you don't need much
more! Matthew Wright does not say the 'same old things' while he is performing these classics.

Granted he is solving problems for himself that may not suit you but I got a lot
more inspiration to practice then I have got off most anything 'new'

But you didn't answer my original question. What is genuinely new here? Why should I spend my money on this?
Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1711 Posts

Profile of Markymark
I did say if you are a fan of Eugene Burger/Jeff McBride then you will really like
this.If these two are not your cup of tea then there is a good chance you won't.

Matthew Wright does go to a lot of trouble to make the tricks more then 'the
adventures of the props in the performers hands'' to coin a Eugene phrase.

It's what he says as he does the old tricks that sounds fresh and new to me.
For example his ambitious card is about a nightmare.His coins across is about a
relationship with his father.That sort of thing..
kieonthemighty1
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of kieonthemighty1
Hi andy to answer your question the coin float across from one hand to the other it looks visally amazing. but if your looken for a card trick for a twist mint is amazing and the sad thing is most magician will over look these effects I am very happy with my purchase I am putting in final destnation in to my act next week and I already doing mint I realy recmend this dvd mat whright is an inspiration and has made me look at the performance side of my magic best 20 quid I spent this year.
Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
Thanks kieonthemighty1, great first post!

There appear to be a few reasons why this dvd is worth buying.
MagicSteve84
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of MagicSteve84
I am also contemplating purchasing this DVD. Can someone else post another review? I want to get a few more opinions before I put down the credit card. Thanks!
Simon Bakker
View Profile
Special user
the Netherlands
587 Posts

Profile of Simon Bakker
I just watched the demo and final destination looks amazing. For those who own the dvd: Is this indeed practical?

Thanks!

Simon
Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1711 Posts

Profile of Markymark
I think Matthew has made it as practical as possible by keeping the coins in a box. He does say that it's more of a parlour piece.It's not a pipe dream but I
won't be doing it [which does'nt say much as I'm lazy!]
kieonthemighty1
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of kieonthemighty1
Marky mark is right it is more parlor but you could do it walk around if you didn't mind carring a box around with you I have two resdencys where the lighting and place is pratical. I think final destainon is worth the investment in makeing it a peace of magic that will be a rare treat to see and will leave all those in awe when they see it but that my oppinon. there is a lot of effort that goes into makeing this as well as mony but I now own something unige and isn't that what we are all looking for.
Matthew Wright
View Profile
Special user
551 Posts

Profile of Matthew Wright
Hi guys,
Thanks for all your comments.
Andi,I believe that there are some original pieces on the DVD.
The concept of Final Destination has been attempted by many before without success and I believe that I have come up with a practical solution. I am currently performing it twice nightly six nights per week. I have performed it in some major competitions including when I won the Magic Cirle Close-up Magician of the Year and when I won the merit award at the International Competition.
When I first started wotking this routine in I also used it extensivly in a walkaround situation. I have mine set up in a box but that is only because I use a box in my working life anyway. I am sure the set up can be adapted for the inside of a jacket.
To avoid confusion please note that the hook up is not attatched to the box during performance- that is just for storage and for a fast get ready. You are free to move as you would once the two second get ready is complete.
Mark Southworth
View Profile
Veteran user
u.k
353 Posts

Profile of Mark Southworth
I would just like to add that this dvd is a must for anyone interested in making their own magic stronger,as you will see on the dvd the effects are structured for maximum impact !!
My personal favourites are Mint & Final Destination, you can clearly see how Matthew treats us to genuine close up theatre for real people !!!!
Many of the effects have been honed over the last 5 years & others even longer, so what you are getting from this dvd, solid routines that have been performed for years in all types of venues !!

Having worked Professionaly with Matthew on many occasions over the years I have seen 1st hand how devastated & shocked audiences are by these routines !!

In a nutshell a must have dvd for any magician !!

Mark Southworth
mydogripper
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta, GA
182 Posts

Profile of mydogripper
This DVD is some of the best work that has been put out in a long time.... I now use Mint and his Calzaghes Opener everyday. Final Destination is a work of art. The floating ending is incredible. I wrote Matthew personaly and told him my respect of his DVD... it has changed my thinking in many ways... Thanks Matthew
Merritt Ambrose
http://www.MerrittAmbrose.com
2011 Greater Atlanta Magician of the Year
Matthew Wright
View Profile
Special user
551 Posts

Profile of Matthew Wright
Thanks very much for your kind words Merritt. I am glad you enjoyed the DVD. Everyone I have spoken to has enjoyed the DVD and are happy with their purchase. I am proud to stand by me creations and am certain that they are original enough to warrant publication. It would be good to hear some more reviews.
Kimura
View Profile
Special user
519 Posts

Profile of Kimura
I haven't seen the DVD but I saw Matthew perform this summer at a magic bar in Spain. He stood out from the other acts and I wasn't surprised to find out he won a Magic Circle award.

The DVD is only £20 so I imagine myself picking it up soon.
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4465 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
What a great DVD. Got this in the post on Monday, and watched it that evening, a collection of some very nice effects Smile. My favourite being Mint, however, I cannot find anywhere in the UK that currently sells the Listerine breath strips...anyone from the UK know of a supplier?

Thanks
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available