The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Hinging a card fountain (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Magicsharpie1
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of Magicsharpie1
As of right now I am trying to give the card fountain the max height. I am using a rubber band model where the rubber band pulls to motor to the cards,but the wheel contacts a bit off center. I want a model with the wheel parallel with the center top of the cards to give it more height. So I was wondering how can I bring the cards to the motor or the motor to the cards. I seen some models use a spring that hinges the motor up and down. Anyone have any suggestions?
1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
Using an off-center setup will do this for you without the use of springs and rubberbands. If the motor is set at an angle on a lever, much like a pendulum, then the weight of the motor will hold steady against the cards and the pressure will shoot the cards higher and you don't have to worry about replacing bands or springs ever. Hope that helps.
remote guy
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
534 Posts

Profile of remote guy
I use spring hinges on my fountains. I tried attaching a few pictures to give you a better idea but I am having a problem loading them , as soon as I figure out how to do this I will post them.
Magicsharpie1
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of Magicsharpie1
Many Thanks remote Guy

The pictures would help me greatly. Try image shack... that's how I always get pictures into the forum
Magicsharpie1
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of Magicsharpie1
I was thinking if I used a more powerful motor then the cards would go a lot higher. So far I am using a 9-18vdc motor from radio shack. Do you know where I can get a better or faster one at a cheap price?
Flying Magus
View Profile
Loyal user
286 Posts

Profile of Flying Magus
Remember that card height is a function of speed (among other things). Speed relies on the transfer of energy to the card. This involves more than just the speed of the motor. Things such as pressure on the card, and friction between the motor/wheel and the card also come into play.
Magically yours,

Michel Fouché
Believe in the Impossible
remote guy
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
534 Posts

Profile of remote guy
I use the same motor from Radio Shack for my card fountains. The trick to getting the full potential from the motor is to wire 2- 9 volt batteries in a series circuit which will give you 18 volts. Another little trick I use is to treat the wheel with a product called SORTKWIK this is the stuff you see cashiers use on their fingers to grip paper currency. With these 2 hints and a fresh deck of cards you should get the cards to shoot close to six feet in the air.
remote guy
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
534 Posts

Profile of remote guy
craig filicetti
View Profile
V.I.P.
Arizona
550 Posts

Profile of craig filicetti
Nice job.

-Craig
ProMystic - Professional Systems For Mentalists
<BR>www.promystic.com
knmagic
View Profile
Elite user
436 Posts

Profile of knmagic
Remote guy,

Very nice job. I made one but it's not as beautiful as your. Can you tell me what remote did you use? Is that a momentary remote or push on/push off remote please?
Thanks
Ken
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
Wow...that fountain is beautiful man! It looks extremely small as well! Any chance of revealing the inner workings in the project box?

-Bryan
lin
View Profile
Special user
California
880 Posts

Profile of lin
Very nice! My question exactly! Are the plans/circuit diagrams available?

Lin
Magicsharpie1
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of Magicsharpie1
I try to google on how to make a 18v series but only found one post and no one replied to the post. Can someone teach me how to connect 2 9v to make a 18v then connect that to a momentary push button?

Thanks in advance
remote guy
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
534 Posts

Profile of remote guy
Magicsharpie1
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of Magicsharpie1
Thanks for all your help remote guy. This information is worth so much to me. I will post the results
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
If anyone has a wire diagram for this or anything similar, I would love to attack this project!
FlyMe
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of FlyMe
Thanks for the detailed diagrams Remote guy. Could you please let me know which is the best remote that you recommend for such a project?
FlyMe
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of FlyMe
Thanks for the detailed diagrams Remote guy. Could you please let me know which is the best remote that you recommend for such a project?
remote guy
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
534 Posts

Profile of remote guy
There are a few ways you could go with a remote control. The first is with a 1 channel momentary. With this remote you would press the button on the transmitter and keep it depressed until the last card is ejected releasing the button causes the fountain to shut down. The second way is to use a 1 channel toggle remote which means you would press the button on the transmitter and when the final card is ejected you would have to press the button again to shut the unit off. The third and in my opinion the best way to go is with a 1 channel toggle remote with a micro switch installed on the fountain.(check out the pictures I posted and you will see a micro switch on the side of the fountain). What this switch does is after you press the button on the transmitter you don't have to worry about shutting the fountain down, When the last card is ejected the micro switch opens the circuit causing the unit to shut down on it's own. Hope this answers your question.
remote guy
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
534 Posts

Profile of remote guy
Hey guys thanks for all the compliments on my card fountain. I have some other projects I will post in the future to get your honest opinions. Thanks again.