The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Looking for better Chinese sticks and Pom Pom poles (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4375 Posts

Profile of rannie
Can anyone direct me to where I can find nice Chinese Sticks and Pom Pom poles?
Most of the online shops don't have them.

Thanks!

Rannie
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
Vincent
View Profile
Loyal user
New York Metro Area
270 Posts

Profile of Vincent
Rannie,

As Far As Pom Pon Poles Go I Think That Kovari Has An Excellent Product.
I've Tried Many And Wound Up Keeping The One From Kovari.

As Far As Chinese Sticks Go I Know That George At Viking Mfg. Had Some Decent Sticks But I Think They Are Currently Out Of Stock.

Again, Kovari.
I Also Have Had Several Other Brands And Keep Working With The Kovari Sticks.
Mikame Sticks Are Nice But A Little Too Noisy.
You Can Check With Denny Haney And Denny And Lee Magic Studio In Baltimore As He Usually Carries The Kovari Sticks.
There Are Two Types:
One Is A Regular Set Of Chinese Sticks.
The Other Has The Cord And Tassle Grow To An Impossibly Long Length.
Not Sure Of The Name Of The Second Type.
Call Denny In Baltimore, Maryland, And I'm Sure He Would Be Glad To Help You.
I Hope That Helped A Little.

Best,

Vincent Smile Smile Smile

Posted: May 17, 2008 5:32pm
Rannie,

Apparently The Rolls Royce Of Chinese Sticks Is Being Made By Gen Grant.
Not Cheap But People Like Harry Murphy Use Them And That's A Heck Of A Recommendation.
No Website For Grant But I Believe His Email Is: ggmagic@aol.com.

Best,

Vincent
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4375 Posts

Profile of rannie
Thanks a lot Vincent!I appreciate the help.

Best from Manila,

Rannie
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I carry the Kovari sticks if you're interested Rannie.
PM me.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
dandan_01
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of dandan_01
Just saw a new product: Kovari's Ultimate Chinese Sticks. It looks great, but I'm not sure whether the pricing is good? What is the normal pricing for a good set of Chinese Sticks? I'm interested in getting one too. Smile
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
The Kovari sticks are expensive. I believe the list price is $240.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
General Grant makes great sticks. They are well made out of polished brass. He makes both round and square sticks. He also makes a set of mini-sticks. The mini-sticks are around $100 and the other sticks are around $200, but I'm not completely sure of the price.

The really cheap sticks work surprisingly well. The $10 sticks work better than some sticks that cost up to $100.
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1062 Posts

Profile of Mediocre the Great
I've never been fond of this effect, but Martin Lewis has a nice twist. He shows you how to construct your own - and then destroy them at the end of the trick, as you break them into little tiny pieces. Of course you need to make a new set for each show, but the prep is not that hard and it's worth the effort.
Mediocrity is greatly under rated!
--------------------------------------------

Rich Hurley aka Mediocre The Great!
www.RichHurleyMagic.com
Paulo Cabrita
View Profile
Special user
820 Posts

Profile of Paulo Cabrita
I have the ALI BONGO's Pom-Pom.Is very good! I buy for 16 years ago, but when I get it was not the Ali Bongo routine. Any body know where I can watch this routine?

Paulo
Bill Wood
View Profile
New user
Nova Scotia
98 Posts

Profile of Bill Wood
I have a set of Chinese sticks that are made by Davenports in England and I am very happy with them. The working is very smooth, also they are big and bright yellow, perfect kid show prop. You can find them on the Davenports web site.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Ali Bongo's original routine for the Histed Sticks (AKA Pom Pom Pole) is in a hard cover book "Magic Circle Magic".
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Paulo Cabrita
View Profile
Special user
820 Posts

Profile of Paulo Cabrita
Thanks Pete for the information.

Paulo
Angelo the Magician
View Profile
Loyal user
Vienna(Austria/Europe)
217 Posts

Profile of Angelo the Magician
I wonder if anyone is able to perform the pom pom poles as magic.

Okay, it is possible for children younger than eight and for some (but not all) very old people, but I think everybody who sees it, knows how it is done. This would be a good piece of magic hundred years ago, but not nowadays, in a technical time.

Perhaps some or more spectators have fun watching it, but where is the magic? Does anyone see it and think "Oh, this is impossible, it can`t be, it is real magic!"

I am very interessted in your opinion!

Kind regards!

Angelo
Bill Wood
View Profile
New user
Nova Scotia
98 Posts

Profile of Bill Wood
I was lucky enough to see Ali Bongo perform the Pom Pom Pole live. When he cracked that pole apart and showed us no inner workings the audience was as fooled as it gets. He had us. It was the rhythm of his patter and the movement of the pom poms, it was very magical. But like all magic it can be done bad and it can be done...magically.
Angelo the Magician
View Profile
Loyal user
Vienna(Austria/Europe)
217 Posts

Profile of Angelo the Magician
Okay, I also saw him, he is a very, very great magician - but he performed this effect 30 years ago!!!
And in old magic books (about 150 years old) you see the following trick: A dark room, one single candle and if you put a piece of window-glass behind it, there suddenly appears a second candle!

Kind regards!

Angelo
csantill
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of csantill
Hi,
I recently (about a month ago) so Kevin Spencer perform this in Austin (Spencer's Theater of Illusion) and my daughter (7) and my wife (30's) had no idea how it was done and they were both amazed. (Let me back a little they thought they knew how it was done until the final when he split it into two pieces. )
It was a very enjoyable trick but it does require the patter and rhythm to be great.
jeff22
View Profile
New user
tulsa. ok
4 Posts

Profile of jeff22
Suggestion did you try any of the collectors sales such as Ron Allesi,Martinka,or Kenna Thompson magic.some time they have very nice ones at resonable prices also try Fantasom Magic.
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
I was fooled the first time I saw the Pom-Pom sticks. When I learned how the Chinese sticks work I was doubly fooled by the pom-pom. Eventually I figured it out.

With all of the high tech stuff going on, I've heard some really amazing explanation of the Chinese sticks. One of my favorites was an electric motor in each stick connected to a little bit of radio controlled circuitry. When one stick senses the tassel is being pulled down, the other stick turns on the motor, and vice versa.

I almost wanted to divulge the secret to prove them wrong.
Marty Sasaki

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Marty... I made set with electric motors years ago. But now have a much better system. See my set on Stevens chinese sticks teach in.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
Pete,

I watch the video often. I like some of the things you can do with your sticks that you can't do with the tradional sticks and have used your third tassel gag a few times with good reactions.

I like the tradional sticks but might make up a set like yours at some point.
Marty Sasaki