The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: The best itr (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Jbayer
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of Jbayer
Ok, to be honest, I don't know where to put this, so it's going under "strings". so about a year ago I got the spider pen... it was awful.... sorry Yigal, it sucked. the motor was not powerful enough to keep a bill in the air,the on/off button didn't always work, the thread tangled easily... the list goes on... I feared that all itr's were like this, so for another year I kept using an under the chin thread hook up. but now, I got a little courage and decided I want a quality itr. Which do you suggest as "the best itr?"
Carducci
View Profile
Special user
Denver
543 Posts

Profile of Carducci
Wow,

I've never had a problem with my Spider pen (aside from wear and tear from very frequent use)

Of course, "every miracle has it's price"

If it's not keeping a bill in the air, the battery is low--this is probably the biggest disappointment for users. The secret is to keep the battery compartment unscrewed slightly so that it can't turn on when you don't want it to and to test the battery before every show. The description says you can use it for hundreds of performances, I change my battery ever show, or every other show.

I've never had problems with the on/off button (though you have to be careful when you're replacing the spool to make sure the thread is clear in the opening and not getting caught.

I've also never had a problem with thread tangling except when the thread breaks and shoots back in the reel (and even then, 90% of the time I can just find the end and reattach it to the wax, very rarely does it tangle) When I bought my first spider pen, It was at a convention years ago sold my Yigal himself. When he was demoing it, he quickly pointed out that you shouldn't let the thread snap back but keep a little tension on it as you return it to it's place.

While those are the disadvantages of the spider pen, IMHO they are outweighed by the advantages. I like how easy it is to fix the thread when it breaks, usually I will just reattach the wax to the end and I'm in business--30 seconds tops (or I put a new spool on, 10 seconds tops)

If you've ever tried to take apart (and then put back together) a 'conventional' ITR (or suck a thread) you'll know what I mean.

I also like the consistent tension and length of the thread. I believe it adds greatly to a levitation effect when you can step several feet away from the object, and animate it a little (sinking/rising on command) the speed of the motor makes it look very magical--you simply cannot duplicate this with a traditional hookup.

All that being said, the spider pen is pretty much a one trick pony, I have had little success using it for anything other than levitations.

for a levitation, I feel the spider pen is a great ITR, I've used several of the 'rubber band' style ITRs and didn't like them at all.

I will be interested to see what other suggestions are out there. I still use my SP pretty regularly, but if there is somthing better, I'm all ears!
Jbayer
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of Jbayer
... hmmm... maybe mine's defective. I replaced the batt and it's still a mess. the on/off switch is the most trouble for me, sometimes I tap it and it dosn't turn on, and the bill just floats to the floor, other times, I'm just walking along and I hear it start whirring in my pocket... I was really disappointed in it. I had built it up in my mind to be better than it was I guess. I still have the thing, I may just order a few new spools and his special spider batteries. (i've been using watch batteries that I got at the convienince store). but I'm still thinking about a traditional thread reel, which one is best?
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3713 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
I had two Spider's at one time - between the two of them I could usually have one functional unit. I finally gave up - I now use a Super Micro 2000, which I personally think is the best ITR on the market (and I've had them all).

Jim
B Hackler
View Profile
Special user
778 Posts

Profile of B Hackler
I like the original mini itr from sorcery never had any problems with the reel.
Jbayer
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of Jbayer
Ok so, the super Micro 2000 and the original mini itr... any more suggestions?
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
I've had good luck with both the original standard and micro Sorcery Shop reels.
Jbayer
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of Jbayer
Has anyone heard of the "Thread Boss?" I've heard good things there too.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I think that's made by the same people as the others mentioned here. Anything from Sorcery Shop is good.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3713 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
The "Boss" and the Super Micro 2000 are very similar. The Boss is larger in diameter but shorter. I bought the Super Micro because it was about $10 cheaper.

Jim
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5695 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
SS is the BEST on the market in my opinion...
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Jbayer
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of Jbayer
I've found a web site that sells what it claims to be "the original itr" but it's not listed on the sorcery shop site as a distributor, it's prices are really good though, anyone bought from them?

http://www.thisismagic.com/html/invisible_thread_reel.html
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
It looks like they've opened James George's site in a frame with their own advertising surrounding it. I'd prefer dealing with the source rather than a copycat site such as this. They may be perfectly legitimate, but that's my gut feeling when seeing this site for the first time.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
The Thread Boss didn't have the length I needed so I rarely used it.
Jbayer
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of Jbayer
Ok, so jaz, you are voteing micro over thread boss? I'll take that into consideration.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Quote:
On 2008-04-30 07:48, Jbayer wrote:
Ok, so jaz, you are voteing micro over thread boss? I'll take that into consideration.

Yes.
I didn't care for the alligator clip or the tension.
For table work I used the bigger Standard.
For strolling, the Micro which still gave me what I needed.
Not Super Micro mind you, just Micro.
Luck to ya,
Jbayer
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of Jbayer
Thanks so much every one! I've made up my mind, and I'm going with the micro.
Magicguy40
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of Magicguy40
Here is a link to the Micro On Sorcery's site, along with there brand new Spectra Reel, ( Which has the most Amazing Invisible Thread, it is Invisible, even in broad daylight.)

It is about 1/2 the diameter of wooly nylon.

http://itrmagictricks.com/Invisible_Thre......dex.html

Spectra Reel is on the Home page and just got a raving review in Linking Ring Magazine.

I work with James closely and he is also working with Sean Begunia on his new Electronic Programmable ITR, the thread for that reel comes from Sorcery also.

Ken
Magicguy40
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of Magicguy40
Things to think about Micro vs. Thread Boss would be the Thread Boss has Wooly Nylon which is invisible, but not as Invisible as the spectra, if you work walk around Restaurant, you want the Spectra Reel. The micro is great for stand up or if you work in a flourescent lighting environment, as this thread is very invisible underflourescent lighting, the advantages to the Micro is the distance it goes out also. Although the Boss reel has a greatly expanded retraction distance with some recent developments James has made on that product.
Magicguy40
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of Magicguy40
Things to think about Micro vs. Thread Boss would be the Thread Boss has Wooly Nylon which is invisible, but not as Invisible as the spectra, if you work walk around Restaurant, you want the Spectra Reel. The micro is great for stand up or if you work in a flourescent lighting environment, as this thread is very invisible underflourescent lighting, the advantages to the Micro is the distance it goes out also. Although the Boss reel has a greatly expanded retraction distance with some recent developments James has made on that product.