The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Ellis Ring Effects (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Is there a compendium of effects that use a (Jardine) Ellis Ring?

I realize that there are a number of threads here that mention individual effects, but I was wondering if there were a source - booklet, DVD, what-have-you - that covered several such effects. 101 Uses for a Jardine Ellis Ring, or the like.

Thanks!
magicstudent
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of magicstudent
I only know one single effect (sorry), but I think you have to know this one.
It's Paul Wilson's "The One True Ring" you can check the demo video in his website http://www.rpaulwilson.com/videos.htm
I think it will be included in his new DVD set by L&L.

Jeff
I'll Be Back!
-Schwarzenegger-
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
Quite a while ago Jay Marshall and friends at Magic Inc in Chicago,
put out a booklet for their “Jinking Rings” set.

Jay’s set of Jinking Rings was an Ellis Ring along with a few other gaffed rings,
greats like Charlie Miller and Dorny had contributed wonderful routines.

Give Magic Inc a call and see if they still publish that book,
or maybe have used copies around,
or give Rich Hatch at H&R Books a call to track down a used copy.

Hope this helps some,
Walt
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
The last name 'Howie' is the guy that did a huge book on the Ellis Ring. Check out the ellis style wedding band from Joe Porper.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2007-12-20 15:18, Pete Biro wrote:
Check out the ellis style wedding band from Joe Porper.

It looks great, but probably wouldn't fit me too well. I wear a wedding ring with a dove and olive branch - the dove in white gold, the leaves of the olive branch in jade. Furthermore, the last time I performed the standard ring-on-thumb effect for a young lady she screamed and shook her hand, sending my Ellis ring flying. Not so bad with what I'd described as a shower-curtain ring, but I'm sure she would have been crushed if she'd done that with a wedding ring.

Posted: Dec 20, 2007 8:27pm
Thanks for the ideas, gentlemen. I'll now do some reconnoitering.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Check out the routine for a "hexagonal ellis ring". It looks very nice, but apparently has a little extra gimmick on the ellis ring.

http://www.kreis-magic.com/product/list_en.htm#pdf
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17429 Posts

Profile of joseph
The Wilson demo is great....Someone also recommended you get the nice quality ring like the Johnson version, instead of the cheaper ones..
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
I agree, the wilson demo is a nice effect, but I can't do it. My hands are so dry that I can't palm somthing that smooth.

Has anyone tried the hexagonal ellis ring?
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
phread
View Profile
Elite user
md
486 Posts

Profile of phread
I too was looking for such a thing...so this is what I have been able to locate.

Ganson-art of close up vol 1
Trixer- conjuring trix
Bey - routines for the jardine ellis ring
Bertram Millidge- two routines
John Howie's routines with the ellis ring
goutam guha- tricks with the ellis ring

horace bennet has some routines one of which is in the ganson book. other bennet books can be gotten from jerry mentzer. If there are any contemporary routines I am unaware of them. However, some of the moves for other ring and string effects can be altered to your needs those on the ring leader dvd or the willmarth ring and rope book.

dug
Deckless Wonder
ElwoodBlues
View Profile
New user
Once a free trader on Bestine IV
17 Posts

Profile of ElwoodBlues
Quote:
Not so bad with what I'd described as a shower-curtain ring...

That's ok, but any other ideas as what you would say this "ring" is for?

I have 2.... 1 is an old brass ring from a 'Merry-Go-Round'(Carousel); the one you had to grab as you spun around, like on the B & B Carousel at Coney Island.

The other, well.....

Any other ideas?
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
My vote goes to Franklin Taylor's effect on the thumb and to Horace Bennett.
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
kakronen
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of kakronen
All I know is I had someone demo it for me on my thumb with a hankerchief and it completely fooled me. I bought it instantly. It was one of those magic moments
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
And it so overlooked by so many.
perryvath
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of perryvath
I call mine a 'bridle ring' and use a strip of leather which I call one of the 'reins'.

It fits my spooky story about a ghost horse that is occasionally seen to pass right through solid objects at will - every Holloween.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
In England I saw a Jardine Ellis ring made by Kreis, which cross sectional shape is hexagonal. So Magician can show both side of the ring. This ring has many possibilities. Comes complete with 2 hexagonal ellis rings (one gimmicked)at http://www.MJMMagic.com

The ring on the thumb is in Kaplan's Fine Art Of Magic, a great book wich content, from the author's own admission, owes a lot to a genius named Sam Leo Horowitz.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Porper has made an Ellis-type ring from a man's wedding band. Very nice too.
mindshrink
View Profile
Special user
Delhi,India
916 Posts

Profile of mindshrink
I bought the rings long time back.....havent used them till I saw the interpretataion of Barrie Richardson---Mentalism based.(Theatre of the mind)
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Quote:
On 2008-11-05 11:52, mindshrink wrote:
I bought the rings long time back.....havent used them till I saw the interpretataion of Barrie Richardson---Mentalism based.(Theatre of the mind)

This one I don't know (apologies to Barrie Richardson). What is the effect?
sdmagic
View Profile
Special user
697 Posts

Profile of sdmagic
The effect can be found on page 80 of Theater of The Mind. Here's the effect:

A spectator is invited to assist in a demonstration of the power of suggestion. They extend their left hand and a Perrier bottle is placed onto their hand. Next a brass ring is introduced and dropped over the neck of the bottle. Finally these items are covered with a dark cloth napkin or large handkerchief. The performer talks about the power of suggestion then invites the assistant to feel through the cloth and raise the ring to a point half way up the neck of the bottle.

"You believe you are holding a bottle and that you are removing a brass ring... Perhaps it is all an illusion.." The spectator is asked to remove the ring. Once it clears the top he moves it sideways.. everything is still covered. Now he hands the ring to the magician.

Spec reaches across and covers the top of the bottle through the cloth with his other hand and grips it tightly.

Performer than whips away the cloth to show the ring is still in place around the neck of the bottle!

Its a great effect. I encourage you to buy Theater of The Mind which is packed with good magic.

sdmagic
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
WOW great idea... gotta try it today on the boys at Dean's Shoppe.
Posted: Nov 6, 2008 3:06pm
I tried it and the ring doesn't sit right... the S lifts up a tad. Maybe a narrow neck wine bottle would work?