The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: The Miser’s Dream by Chris Capehart (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Title: The Miser’s Dream by Chris Capehart
Medium: DVD
Arena: stand up, kids shows
Available: Any shop, Kozmo Magic, distributed by Murphys Magic Supplies

When I think of Chris Capehart I think of the linking rings, now when I think of him it will be of him doing The Miser’s Dream. Chris Capehart is one of the better street magicians, that is street magician as in a magician who performs on the street rather than a glassy eyed kid doing a trick on a street. He is very well respected by magicians and while I’ve never seen him lecture he also seems to excel at that aspect of the art. The quality of this DVD is outstanding, which is what we have come to expect from Kozmo Magic. The sound, the camera work, the editing, all as good as you can hope to find.

On this DVD we have Chris performing The Misers Dream for a bunch of kids in a theater setting. To be honest I never thought of performing this old standard for kids but it certainly works for Chris and it will work for most anyone if they apply the aspects to the routine that make it work for kids, which Chris does. For those not familiar with the Misers Dream it is a routine where coins are produced from the air or behind ears and placed, audibly, into a metal can. The empty hand reaches out, a coin appears in the fingers, you hear it be tossed into the can, this is done with coin after coin and is pretty cool. Chris’ handling of the kids is a good thing to study, he really knows this aspect of magic and I didn’t even know he was a kids show performer! The kids reacted really well to the routine and it played for several minutes. There is one move that some frown upon, that is the joking drop of coins from a behind, but in this case it worked and the kids loved it.

Also shown is a very nice coin across routine. This would work great for any audience and Chris does it for the worse age of spectator, ten year olds, and it works and the kid helping him wants nothing more than for it not to work. The routine has the coins across then goes into a continuous production of a coin, which uses a method I’ve never seen, and then ends up with the complete vanish of the coins, again using a method I’ve not seen. The coin routine is very good and while some practice is required it is with in the grasp of most. The sequences work well together here and I liked the routine very much. Being a non-coin guy I’m always looking for coin material I can do.

There you have it. A high quality DVD with an excellent handling of a standard of magic, the Misers Dream, and an excellent coin routine. You can find the DVD at your favorite magic shop and if they don’t have it they can get it from Murphy’s Magic Supplies, if they don’t buy from Murphy’s it is time for a different magic shop because you will want to see this DVD if you are interested in this kind of material.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Capehart rocks!!

Frank at the Ambitious Card has this DVD. If you order $40 or more, you get FREE SHIPPING for U.S. orders!!!!

here's the link:
http://theambitiouscard.com/mSearchResul......GO=GO%21
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
andrelimantara
View Profile
Special user
Surabaya, Indonesia
871 Posts

Profile of andrelimantara
This DVD provide nice Miser's Dream routine.
You get a lesson as well performing for kids.

very nice performance from Mr Capeheart

Cheers
Andre
"Good performance comes from good practice, Great performance comes from the heart - Andre Limantara"
magical expressions
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of magical expressions
Highly recommended!
Paul
gman
View Profile
Special user
Lancaster, pa
751 Posts

Profile of gman
Worth the money.

George
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
Certainly a keeper.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5454 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
The search function would have shown you this discussion on the DVD:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=111

And for a more general discussion including Chris’ work try:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......;forum=6
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
GWSchott
View Profile
Veteran user
Southeastern Michigan
361 Posts

Profile of GWSchott
Just got the DVD last week and it's great.
Yours In Magic,
Gordon
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Harry, I entered into search and looked at the first three or four pages and did not see any reference to the DVD or I would have attached it. Exactly to what extent must a search be done and how can a separate thread some distance in time, in this case half a year cause such distress? I understand as the other thread was of your origin I doubt anyone else would have found it by stumbling across it as it would have been burried under hundreds if not thousands of posts. I do apologize if you feel I stepped on your original post and as a 'staff' person you certainly can take this thread and attach it to yours. It certainly would not bother me.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5965 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I just bought the DVD and I'm finally making some progress in the routine I'm developing. I love how he goes into the details of the handling, that other resources just seem to gloss over. If you learn everything that he teaches, you'll be ready for anything.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Capehart's Miser's Dream DVD is a must have. Beautifuly filmed ( before a live audience ) and produced. I LOVE it ( I just watched it again ).

Barry Gitelson
View Profile
Special user
Kona Hawaii
981 Posts

Profile of Barry Gitelson
This dvd has gotten such great reviews that I had to order it and am now awaiting its arrival.
"Your talent is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God." Author: Leo Buscaglia
Joey Evans
View Profile
Special user
Fort Myers, FL
535 Posts

Profile of Joey Evans
Quote:
On 2007-06-22 19:41, MagicSanta wrote:
Harry, I entered into search and looked at the first three or four pages and did not see any reference to the DVD or I would have attached it. Exactly to what extent must a search be done and how can a separate thread some distance in time, in this case half a year cause such distress? I understand as the other thread was of your origin I doubt anyone else would have found it by stumbling across it as it would have been burried under hundreds if not thousands of posts. I do apologize if you feel I stepped on your original post and as a 'staff' person you certainly can take this thread and attach it to yours. It certainly would not bother me.

I for one like when someone posts a new review on a DVD even if it's been reviewed before. It seems a different thread will have a different take, especially if it's been a while since the last post of the first one.
The Visual Comedy and Magic of Joey Evans

http://www.Evansmagic.com/

The Impossible Has Never Been So Funny!
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5454 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Magic Santa, I was only posting a couple of links that would have taken the curious to discussions on Chris’ Misers Dream DVD and a general discussion of his work. Sorry if you feel I was out of place.

I don’t understand the comment about causing distress. Who is distressed? You? Me? Well not me. If you feel that I stepped on your toes then I am truly sorry. I didn’t feel that you stepped on mine.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I don't think you stepped on my toes I was just making a general statement to you and the others that like to say "this was discussed" in one manner or another. Often the search doesn't locate the topic or I may not feel like scanning hundreds of post to find the common one. Your post implied that no search was done, it was, you just went deeper.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I LOVE Magic Santa's reviews!!!!!!!

DaddyDoodle
View Profile
Loyal user
Northern Hemisphere
277 Posts

Profile of DaddyDoodle
Fantastic DVD. If you do the Miser's Dream and haven't seen Chris do it, WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?!?! Great stuff. Two TTs up!
Smile Tally-ho! And Tuscarora too! Smile
deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
864 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
As a matter of interest, how long does the routine last? I know this is a bit elastic.. but on his actual live performance.. how long does the show go?

Tks
DCB
"With every mistake - we must surely be learning..." George Harrison.
thefliss
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of thefliss
MagicSanta, how does it compare to the Levent series?
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2773 Posts

Profile of sethb
Chris' DVD is primarily his own method and take on performing the Miser's Dream. Although he briefly discusses equipment and methods, the DVD is more a demonstration of his own routine, patter and moves.

BTW, the moves are beautiful! I had to slow down the DVD and watch his coin productions about five times to figure out how he was producing the coins. It almost looks like a barehanded production from an empty palm that faces the audience, exactly the opposite of most Miser's Dream coin productions. But you will need to have a very good Classic Palm in order to pull this off, which is a problem for some people (including me!).

The Levent DVD set is more of an encyclopedia of equipment, gimmicks, sleights, moves and historical info about the Miser's Dream that you can pick and choose from to create your own version. It is superb, a superb value for the price, and also highly recommended.

Each DVD is useful in its own way, and owning both wouldn't be a duplication or a bad investment, in my opinion. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC