The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Professor's Nightmare - Three Questions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
J.Dunaway
View Profile
Loyal user
241 Posts

Profile of J.Dunaway
I used my new encyclopedia, the Magic Café search function, but I didn't find the answers to two questions I have. Well, I suppose I sort've found the answer to one. But not the other!

What is the ratio of the three ropes in Professor's Nightmare?
Before I start chopping up my rope to make my own, I decided to see if there was a very specific ratio to cut at.

Also, aside from the piece of paper containing a "closer" for the Professor's Nightmare by Jim Kahlert, how do you cap off your PN performance?

-------
As a sidenote, I'm inquiring about the ratios so that I can possibly use Darryl's Comedy Trimming to have the rope cut just too darn small, restored, and use it with two other ropes immediately for the PN. The rope I have versus the ropes I received for the effect are different styles, size, and color.

Off topic: Does anyone have a creative way for making rope look older in a fast manner? My girlfriend suggested tea with a quick wash to stop the crusty but keep the stains. Good? No?
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Here you have the three rope sizes to start with:
short rope: about nine inches long
long rope: three feet long
Med rope: double the short rope with the ends up and double the long rope and put it so it hangs from the dangling center of the short rope. Cut the med rope so it is the length from the top ends of the short rope down to the bottom ends of the long rope. In the example given it would be 22.5 inches long.

You can make them longer or shorter based on your height.

For the closer I just make it one piece again. On a side note there are a couple nice methods to set up a rope that is, say, eight feet long (whatever) so that you can do a couple snips and be in position. If you are into dvds check out Paul Greens In The Trenches or the Cellini on Slydini lecture dvd. Another great routine to be found is The Mongolian Pop Knot available from School For Scoundrals.

I was going to suggest tea as well, it is used to age paper.

Ho ho ho
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5475 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
I like danny tongs pro nightmare..he puts the ropes back together at the end...its strong
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Yes, that is a great ending. if you add Cellini's double restoration at the beginning from kozmo's art of #2 dvd, and you put your prof. nightmare in the middle you've got one heck of a routine.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Jeremy L.
View Profile
Special user
800 Posts

Profile of Jeremy L.
I have one long question, one medium length one and a short one...wait... I have three questions of all the same length. Smile
Jeremy L.
Do you buy ethically?
Magic Fakes
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I'm sorry, yes, the Danny Tong dvds are also very much worth looking at. Dannys and Paul Greens dvds are top notch all the way across the board. As for Kozmo Magics other Cellini dvd that has the Slydini set up etc I wasn't aware of that one so I apologize.
J.Dunaway
View Profile
Loyal user
241 Posts

Profile of J.Dunaway
Thank you for the responses, especially on the ratio there. Alright, I'll pursue these leads. Any ideas on making rope age? Is tea my main lead?

In addition, I was wondering where you fit your P.N. in? Do you find it more effective for your routines in the beginning middle or end? ... Why?
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Check out the mongolian pop knot for more insight.
Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
The references we gave, Tong, Green, Mongolia, all are routines that incorporate the PN.
J.Dunaway
View Profile
Loyal user
241 Posts

Profile of J.Dunaway
Quote:
On 2007-01-27 13:28, MagicSanta wrote:
The references we gave, Tong, Green, Mongolia, all are routines that incorporate the PN.

Gotcha, thanks much
Nala Nosmoht
View Profile
Special user
Surrey,B.C. Canada,
641 Posts

Profile of Nala Nosmoht
The 2 book set "The Magicial World Of Slydini" also has a great combination version: C & R'd into the professors nightmare, ending with a complete restoration.
Michael Bilkis
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

Profile of Michael Bilkis
I start with one piece of rope ala Slydini and cut into the all equal portion of professors nightmare. The routine ends with me balling up the ropes and then they shrink, stay the same and get longer. I then throw the ropes into the audience.
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5488 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
RE: rope lengths... I believe that the standard set is 9", 20" & 29".
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
With those dims the middle piece would be 19 inches but close enough for rock and roll. Basically you want a size you feel good handling, is visable, and just do your middle piece to meet the combo short and long leangth. I like a longer long and middle piece but tend to go shorter on the short.
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
I'm wondering, is the Gene Gordon routine for Prof's Nightmare in print anywhere?
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
kvanliewpe
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of kvanliewpe
I 2nd Slydini's routine with patter to fit your style. Excellant reponse for many years.
SeasideShowman
View Profile
Elite user
Myrtle Beach, SC
443 Posts

Profile of SeasideShowman
The lengths of the ropes if presented as a algebraic equation would be:

a/2 + b/2 = c

(oops, is that too much information ?)

Never liked this trick much until I saw Daryl's handling of it then it all made sense. The 'classic' handling of it always seemed too 'suspect' to me.

Be Good,
Cap'n Mike
=================
"I didn't care if they were laughing at me or laughing with me ... as long as they were laughing" - Unknown
www.MagicAtTheBeach.org
"I'm with it"
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3885 Posts

Profile of Julie
Quote:
On 2007-01-29 17:44, DStachowiak wrote:
I'm wondering, is the Gene Gordon routine for Prof's Nightmare in print anywhere?

Hello

I believe Gene Gordon's routine is in the book by David Ginn, Gene Gordon's Magical Legacy. If you don't own this book, I respectfully suggest you track it down. Besides having some GREAT routines on everything from close-up to stage (and "mentalism"), it's also a great auto-biographical account of a very important magician and dealer of his time. An interesting slice of history...

Julie
murf
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, TX
264 Posts

Profile of murf
As I recall, Daryl's advise for the lengths was to make the short rope just long enough to reach from the tip of the thumb to the tip of the pinky of your outstretched hand, and the long rope as long as you can comfortably hold between your outstretched arms (approximately your height). Of course, the CORRECT answer is "whatever works best for you".

Murf
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I like having the shortest rope a bit longer. I think it's easier to handle and makes some of the moves and displays better looking.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.