The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Slim Kings Café Experiments explanations DVD (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
funstuff
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of funstuff
Thought I would add a small review for Dave’s DVD. First I want to say that it was received very quickly and he responded to all my PM’s very promptly, not to mention gave his contact phone number in case I needed to contact him for any advice/help. Now that is great customer service!!!

On to the DVD itself. The production quality is exactly as has been described. Basically home video edited onto a DVD for playback. There are no fancy menus, no packaging or DVD case. I knew what I was getting beforehand and its only $20 so no real big deal as its the info on the DVD that I'm interested in and not how its presented or packaged. My only complaint is that it would have been nice to have "chapters" instead of one hr or so long video. Reason being that if you have to quit somewhere in the middle when you return to it you have to fast forward to your spot as there’s no scene selection or fast forwarding by chapters available. Just a small minor complaint.

The content on the DVD is excellent. Slim (Dave) goes over 3 effects he did on the radio and the Café. Lets you hear the radio performances to hear his presentation and the dj's responses. The methods are explained in pretty good detail and like stated earlier he offers his personal contact number if you need extra help. And as a bonus he points you to a book that can be had for about $2 that further explains the methods as well as much more info that can be used for effects.

The effects are great for over the phone but not suited for in person (though I guess could be done by the right person). If you ever wanted effects to do over the phone or internet then this DVD is one worth getting.
CinChiller
View Profile
Elite user
Germany
404 Posts

Profile of CinChiller
Interesting. And where can I get this dvd?
The Gaff Book Collection - the right tool for your booktest.
Music for mentalism and psychic entertainment.
Visit: http://stores.lulu.com/dankworth01
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18108 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Thanks for the great review!
You can just PM me if you are interested. I was wondering if anyone noticed the "Shout Out" to the Magic Café at Universal Studios durring the last few seconds of the video. I don't know how to put chapters etc. in the video. It is truely a home video with a few out-takes from some other stuff at The House of Blues and Universal Studios.
Any suggestions on how to make a more effective video without going to a full blown production would be great. Perhaps I could change the video somehow as I go from effect to effect? Change my hat or something very visual as you fast forward to your chosen effect....Just brainstorming.
Thanks again, and I am willing to assist anyone with this video, as far as getting on the air.
Dave
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
DoctorCognos
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of DoctorCognos
I too recently obtained Slim's video and found it more than a little entertaining and a lot better production quality than I expected.

I really liked the "tour" feel of it as he showed bits of Universal Studios and the House of Blues. And I even his commentary of the radio programs, as he would let the audio get to an appropriate point, stop it, eat some pizza and explain what was happening, why etc.

What do you mean no menu? The video started up, and there was a big button in the middle of the page that said "play video!" That is a menu. OK, it wasn't chapter by Chapter, but it played start to finish very well, and Slim got you the information you needed when you needed it.

Good stuff. Fun, and quite informative!

I did notice a number of Café references. But may have missed something at the end. Don't worry though, I will be watching it again. And again. And again. You are funny guy Slim!

As I told Slim in a Private message, this video was just like eating Chinese food. As soon as I was done, I wanted more! Very good stuff, and the price is way too cheap!

I don't want "just anybody" to get access to this kind of thing Smile

The Doctor
The Doctor Knows.....
Christopher Taylor
View Profile
V.I.P.
British Columbia Canada
2321 Posts

Profile of Christopher Taylor
Adding my two cents on Dave's DVD: On first viewing I honestly thought, "This is weak". I soon realized though that that impression was due to the slightly disorganized presentation of method with effect blended together at the begining. Second time through, I followed along with the participant with a pen and paper and I thought, wow, I can use this stuff! It made me very curious about Dave's other remote viewing ideas. The style of Dave's presentation is very off the wall but after going through it a couple of time I found it fun. This is highly recomended material (but make sure you're not hungry when you watch it).

Christopher
Christopher Taylor

Member P.E.A.

www.taylorimagineering.com

MAKING MENTALISM MORE IMPOSSIBLE
Phil C
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
903 Posts

Profile of Phil C
Hi,

Is their a description of the contents of the DVD or a link?
Thanks
funstuff
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of funstuff
Basically just pm slim king if your interested. He will provide you with more details, if its still available. The contents are what was listed above.... effect wise, there are the effects and methods for the 3 effects slim did thru the Café forum ( RV type effects ).

And I know there was a menu Smile it just sucked when family came home and I had to quit mid way thru and goback to it later. Though its a great excuse to watch everything a second time Smile
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
The DVD was a refreshing. Not over produced, it clearly showed the application and performance of the 3 effects performed on the radio. It also gave you a real feel of what Dave, Slim King is like. The shout outs to the Magic Café were a nice touch.

Dave, the pizza was not lost on me, I know it looked good, but it is a pie. Or should I say PI. Nice touch. Smile

I also enjoyed the tour of Universal. Thank you for a nice, refreshing surprise.

Well worth the meager money spent.

I cannot wait until the next one!

Tony
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18108 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Thanks again for the kind words...LOL
Just PM me with any questions. Next DVD...Cards or Coins? ( Or Anagrams) I've learned a lot from making this one. I can't wait until everyone is using these on the Radio. Feel free to call or PM me with any problems or ideas.
The secret about the book....The fifteenth word of every chapter is "OF".... Nuff Said!
Thanks
Dave

Posted: Jun 23, 2006 7:05am
----------------------------------------
I just wanted to see if you guys saw the part with Madonna?
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Yes, I caught that, over the head and behind shot. Come to think of it, not a bad shot at all. Smile

T
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18108 Posts

Profile of Slim King
My next DVD will be Card Tricks Done Over The Radio. Let me know if you are interested.
Thanks
Dave
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
Hello, I too am one of the lucky owners of Slim's dvd. I found it hilarious and interesting. I liked the casual style of following slim about his daily buisness, whilst explaining what he has done with a few pearls of math magic, I thought he really had taken a good concept and improved upon it.

Warning, I had to stop the dvd several times to make toast, as Slim's pizza guzzling was inscessant. Do not watch this if you are on a diet, or on the wagon...

Highlight was the mobile phone number divination, Slim does a good job of concealing his methods, and explains how, very clearly and repeatedly...

Slim is a good showman, lucid, and probably dyslexic...as are most magicians, it seems...

Would of liked to have seen the outcome of the Café remote viewing boxes thing...

The clips of the radio shows were impressive, so if you are into these kinds of remote effects you should try and get a copy...

By the way Slim, I heard your magic Café shout...

A slice of life, a slice of mentalism and several slices of Pizza.

Corona
Rick
View Profile
Elite user
Va.
452 Posts

Profile of Rick
I just got my dvd today..well worth the low price Slim charges for this dvd..I must say,it's been a long time since I have wanted to see more of an instructional dvd after it's done and this is one of them. First the tour of the house of blues is great,then the radio calls and the predictions and then all the explanations..for this price,you can't beat it..I've seen some crummy dvd's here lately..this is so the other way. If you want to do reading's over the phone with numbers,please give this dvd a try.You'll be pleased as I and other's here on this thread are..thanks Dave..looking foward to seeing your next dvd.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18108 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Thanks for the great reviews!
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5942 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Who is that "dandy" guy that is mentioned by the DJ? Smile
John Nesbit
View Profile
Inner circle
United States
1421 Posts

Profile of John Nesbit
Quote:
On 2006-07-20 18:58, Tom Cutts wrote:
Who is that "dandy" guy that is mentioned by the DJ? Smile

I caught that one too Tom, lol.
This DVD is so focused on the "goods", that I almost forgot about that pizza ! Smile Needless to say that whole experience was very "appetizing". Tour, material, value is excellent.
Can hardly wait for the next one Dave !

John
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18108 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Did he really say "Dandy"?
I'm back in town and ready to work on the Cards DVD.
Corona Smith is truely Psychic!
Kevvy
View Profile
Special user
702 Posts

Profile of Kevvy
Just received the dvd. Good stuff presented with a laid back vibe.
The temptation to raid the fridge while watching the dvd almost proved too much for me.

Looking forward to the 'Card Tricks Done Over The Radio' dvd.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18108 Posts

Profile of Slim King
How'd you get this so fast. I just sent it? ( Sorry about the previous delay)
Get the "Self Rising" pizza.....It's much better than the regular!
Thanks for the review.
Dave
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
I got the DVD today and watched it from start to finish. I was very familiar with the methods, but Slim Took it a few big steps past what I knew and I love that! I actually found it very refreshing that it was raw and in your face. Gives you a nice tour of Universal and Slims world.

I can tell I am influenced easy. After the DVD was over I found myself ordering Pizza for some unkown reason?

Nice Work Slim. don't change a thing in the next DVD. If you go Hollywood I will be upset!