The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Black's Magic PK Ring (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
MagicMan1957
View Profile
Inner circle
1445 Posts

Profile of MagicMan1957
Does anyone own one of these from Black's Magic Shop?

Are you happy with it's appearance and POWER?

I,m looking for reviews from actual buyers of this.
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
I can't find Black's Magic Shop on the Web, but I imagine the one they're selling is the same as the one everyone else is selling: the Wizard PK Ring.

The Wizard is a ring made completely out of neodymium. There is no stronger magnet made. I find it works great for many tricks, but thanks to the laws of physics (specifically, the inverse square law) its range is limited to about 2 inches for a shimmed coin, and maybe 3 inches for a shimmed card. You won't be able to lift a Chevy with it from 20 feet away, if that's what you're looking for. Smile

As with all bare magnet gimmicks, you have to watch out for talking - if you pick up a metal object and it hits the ring, you'll hear a loud 'click'.

As far as appearance goes, it looks great. I've got the 'silver' one, which is the natural magnet color, and I wear it everywhere. It looks like a normal brushed metal ring. I've heard from the gold ring owners that theirs look like a normal wedding ring.

Hit the searchbox above with 'Wizard PK Ring' for more.

Hope this helps.
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
MagicMan1957
View Profile
Inner circle
1445 Posts

Profile of MagicMan1957
This is their website Airship....

http://www.blacksmagicshop.com/
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
Hmmmm... no photos, but I see they list FOUR styles: nickel, silver, gold, and onyx. The Wizard PK Ring is only available in two styles, I think: silver and gold. You can check it out at the Wizard web site: http://www.wizardpkring.co.uk/

Wizard originated the PK ring. I hope that makes a difference to you in which ring you buy.

Also, no other ring can be STRONGER than the Wizard PK Ring, since it's pure neodymium, and that is the strongest commercial magnet on the market.

By the way, I'm not affiliated with Wizard, but I do like the ring I bought from them.
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5488 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
MagicMan1957,
Airship is correct, although the statement "no other ring can be STRONGER than the Wizard PK Ring, since it's pure neodymium, and that is the strongest commercial magnet on the market," should not lead you to assume that this is an all powerful magnet. It is strong enough to hold a shimmed coin, zippo lighter and similar, not-too-heavy items, but is fairly limited in terms of actual strength. It is a bit "talky" depending on what you use it for but this can be remedied with the help of some tape or other padding. I have the gold one and like it quite a bit, although I do wish it was stronger and a bit slimmer. I did recently see an ad by the folks at World Magic, the true inventors of this ring, (these are the same guys that Airship is referring to) stating that they will soon introduce a second style of PK ring which will, in fact, be slimmer AND 25% more powerful than their original ring. I'll likely buy that one too.

Black's magic shop does offer what I believe to be a knock off version at a lower price, so the choice is up to you, but I (like Airship) prefer to support the originators even at a higher price for several reasons.
1. I want to encourage the inventors and innovators and make it worth their while to continue along their path of innovation and invention in the future.
2. The folks at World Magic devoutly stand behind their product and offer world class customer service.

I'm not affiliated with any of the guys at World Magic. I am simply one in a long line of satisfied customers.

Best of luck!
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
Not sure how they're going to offer slimmer AND more powerful, unless there's now a new rare earth magnet stronger than neodymium. If so, from what little I understand about the topic, it's likely that a stronger magnet may also be more brittle and prone to breakage. It'll be interesting to see...
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5488 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Apparently it is slimmer, but a little thicker. I've seen a few folks complain about their original ring being brittle and breaking, but I haven't had any issues with mine (of course, unlike them, I haven't dropped mine... yet). From what I've heard, the folks at World Magic are very good about assisting with the replacement of broken rings.
Jeff Corn
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1190 Posts

Profile of Jeff Corn
You guys keep mentioning this company originating the magnetic ring, but Subterfuge was released a while before this ring and the Omega ring has been around for years. The concept of a magnetic ring is far from new.
Yes, that is my real name. Yes, I am a real person. No, you probably won't agree with me.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
That's exactly why I'm not too concerned about anyone "ripping off" another over a simple ring. As Blacks Magic states, their product has been around longer than the ones marketed to magicians, just sold to a different clientele.

Sometimes it's good to have choices.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5488 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Sorry if it came across that I was giving them credit for the idea of the magnetic ring. I know that this is not the case. I was simply giving them credit for this particular version, the Wizard PK ring. Even so, I agree that it is good to have choices (I even said so in my orignal, though admittedly opinionated, post).

Best regards!
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5488 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
I must admit, this does sound (and look) good. James, how does a current PK Wizard owner go about obtaining a sample?
DanielTyler
View Profile
New user
New York
95 Posts

Profile of DanielTyler
Personally I think the Subterfuge Magic System is far superior to any other magnetic rings, but there are endless threads on this debate
- Daniel Tyler

www.tylermagic.com
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
Just one more observation - the Black's rings come in sizes 8-12, including half sizes, while the Wizard comes in only three - 19mm, 21mm, or 23mm. However, the Wizard's 23mm I own is, I believe, equivalent to about size 14, so the Black's just isn't an option for a big guy like me. I've got to admit they look good, though. Smile
jclark
View Profile
Special user
510 Posts

Profile of jclark
LOL! Dang Airship; you have some steak fingers don't you. Smile Okay, the thing is it costs me a lot to tool them up for the next size. We've had requests. So, let me get with my designers and see what I can do. MIGHT happen. No promises, but I will give it a shot. Okay?

Daniel: maybe so but I can't go that route. For what it is made to do, our PK ring does well.

MagiGuy: Simple. Email me at the site (j clark AT blacks magic shop . com) and remind me of this post. We will send you one out. You have to pay shipping charges. If you want it, we will charge your card. If not, send it back and no harm no foul. Fair enough?

Cheers,

James
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5488 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Actually, that is TOO fair. I'll tell you what... how about if I just flat out buy one knowing that I can return it if I don't like it? Hmmm... this may be the start of a beautiful relationship. Smile
jclark
View Profile
Special user
510 Posts

Profile of jclark
I am fine either way MagiGuy. Your call. Stop by blacksmagicshop.com and make the order. I will send it out and, if you want, you can indeed return it. Make sure you get the right size; wouldn't want you to pay for shipping again if not needed if you do want to keep it.

James

PS - LOVE Seattle. Lived in Scotland for many years; similar rain patterns. ha ha
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5488 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Rain? What rain? Smile

Thanks James!
jclark
View Profile
Special user
510 Posts

Profile of jclark
LOL/ No problem. Customer service is important to me as one of the owners. I've never quite understood the magic community's thoughs on that: if you buy it that's it. I mean seriously, what are the odds that everyone is out to screw you over??? Worst case is a few people try to rip off ideas, secrets, etc by sending them back to us. But a ring? Or device of some kind? Come on. For the most part we will accept any returns simply because I hate the fact that someone might have spent hard-earned money on something they find out they not only do not like but can't use for an act; it just may not fit in. That is also why I am happy to send rings out. We keep a credit card on file "just in case" but so far everyone we sent it to has wanted the ring. Ours are better; it is that simple. ;-)
sal
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of sal
OK, I HAVE TO GET INVOLVED here , I have a small magic shop here in Orlando FL, and Sell BOTH rings The PK WIZARD AND THE BLACKS MAGIC, I can honestly tell you that the BLACKS RING IS BY FAR THE BETTER RING...PERIOD, I HAVE HAD CUSTOMERS COME BACK AND PRACTLY BEG ME TO PLEASE TAKE THE WIZARD RING BACK AFTER THEY FOUND OUT THAT A "FRIEND OF THERE'S" HAD BOUGHT THE BLACKS RING FROM US.I certenly have been thinking to sell only one ring after the inital stock runs out. They Look more like real Wedding Bands, There rounded on the outer surface and are just a better looking ring, and you have a CHOICE of 5 different styles, but I don't really like the Onyx Type so I do not stock them.
I have been using the Blacks Ring Myself BEFORE the Wizard Ring Came Out, OH and B.T.Y Has Any one else noticed that the Wizard ring is only Magnitic on the Sides(very thin) north and south Poles? And the Blacks Ring is Magnetic on the complete surface or is THIS AND ILLUSSION created due to the roundness of the surface of the ring? I have to agree with Dave Van Vranken and Jeff Corn here on the "Been Around Before the Wizard Ring" as I stated eirler I was USING A Blacks Ring BEFORE the Wizard Came out. As for Customer Satisfaction CALL THEM UP !! Talk to Troy and JClark You will NOT get BETTER SERVICE ANYWHERE ELSE. I have had only Great Experences with Them Personaly.There More then Happy to take ANYTHING Back and Just Replace it. Just My Thought's on this. Smile
sdmagic
View Profile
Special user
697 Posts

Profile of sdmagic
Here's my 2 cents. I have both. The Blacks is better. Looks more like a real ring. They both have excellent magnetic qualities, but the Blacks looks more natural for sure! I also appreciate the 1/2 sizes. Ultimately it is a matter of personal preference - these are both excellent products... but I'll be using the Blacks and the PK Ring is gonna end up sitting in the bottom of a drawer. I need a ring that doesn't attract attention, and the Blacks ring fills that requirement nicely (just looks like a regular wedding band)...very cool.

sd