The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Martin Sanderson The Business DVD review (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of 1064857
Name: Martin Sanderson: The Business

Author: Martin Sanderson

Price: £25.00 (including P&P) http://www.sanderson-magic.com/DVD/

Publisher: RSVP Magic

Date: Now! April 2006

Pages/Length: 1hr 54min

Difficulty: Between 2-4 for most aspects and 6-7 for others (in terms of confidence in the Corporate magic world)

Out of 10: 10

Contents:

Effects:

It’s a Steal

Boxing

Simplex Signed Aces to Pocket

The Impromptu Chop Cup

Simplex Signed Card in Sealed Envelope

Trade Show SF7 or Storm Force 7

Corporate Funnies (squeak and protective cover)

The Business Section:

Various aspects of real world work -

Getting the initial phone call and work
Table approach and management
Solutions for approaching a table
How to get everyone's eye contact and attention
Eye contact, playing it big and amplifying your effects

Reception approach and management

Working receptions at cocktail parties

The Business Card and You
REVIEW

Its a Steal: This is a stunning hard hitting effect. Bearing in mind I was having trouble with my side steal, this was a great help. Good tips on the action and cover. The 3 way cut is also explained here! A card is selected by a spectator by being peaked following a corner rifle (not touched), and then literally appears in the performers opposite hand - very clean.

Boxing: Spectator chooses a playing card. A prediction is written on the playing card box and is shown to be different from the chosen playing card! With no moves, the prediction becomes the chosen card. Very, very easy to do, and a nice clean up. Needs a little initial set up that a child could do. I will be using this.

Simplex Signed Aces to pocket : The 4 aces are seen and vanish from the deck and 1 appears in your right trouser pocket. Another then appears in your left, and the remaining ones in your back trouser pocket. Nice compact tidy routine. Haven’t really gone into to this one in much depth as I got distracted!

Impromptu Chop Cup Been caught short without your chop cup? Wanted or been asked to do it? Then this is the solution. Could be done with a paper cone or a paper cup (as Martin does). The routine is similar to his proper chop cup one, but his tips on working it are worth their weight in gold.

Simplex signed card in sealed envelope - Wow. Cannot afford a card to wallet gimmick? Then don’t worry. This will cost you less than £5 and your set for 50 goes! And it’s a killer simple routine. Martin completely explains this, and details each step. The title says it all. I need not say anything else really.

Trade Show SF7. For those of you who have storm force 7, or have seen his lecture, or even the first DVD, then this explains the corporate application of this effect to business. For those who don’t fall into either of these categories, then the effect is out of this world. To the right market, I have no doubt this will earn you the price of the DVD over and over again. My only concern was now everyone will be doing it! Basically a spectator chooses a "buzz word" or catch phrase. Each buzz word is written on the face of a blank deck of cards. There are 52 different buzz words which can be personalized to the client you are working for. They merely think of the buzz word and don’t even touch it. The backs are shown blank. You then write a prediction on the back of a card. The chosen buzz word is revealed, and you then reveal the prediction which you made matches, with a closing line such as “showing the company is one step ahead”. There is no way words alone can describe how powerful and personal this effect can be - you have to watch it to believe it and see the potential for yourself. If you look at other "corporate" DVD’s which talk about putting company sticky labels on a deck of cards etc... and then doing the normal routines, then this just blows them out of the water.

Funnies Sorry but I just wet my pants at this. Basically two gags which I won’t spoil, but Martin lost the plot on camera with a laughter fit....some light entertainment (other than his tweed jacket earlier on....again you have to watch the DVD)!

The remainder of the DVD is entitled the Business Section. Without repeating the contents of the DVD, this section covers all aspects of finding work to managing the public while working. There are tips here for both novice to seasoned performer, and again, purchasers of the DVD are taping into Martin’s years of experience.

Summary:

If you have seen Martin’s work or lectures then you'll get the high standard you've already experienced. For those who brought Corporate Close up you will not be disappointed. You will also be pleased to hear that this DVD will not require you to go and buy additional props, although they were some of the best & necessary investments I made! If you are new to Martin’s work, then I cannot recommend this investment enough. Even if you take away just one or two effects then you will have benefited. But you won’t. It will be more than that!
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Thanks 1064857 for the indepth review. Glad to see no additional props puchase! I see many many killer effects here.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
This has my interest for sure.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
D J Hawkins
View Profile
Veteran user
Reading, UK
350 Posts

Profile of D J Hawkins
Just want to echo the comments here. This DVD (along with Martin's first disc) contain the real work. As well as some killer magic routines, he also gives incredible advice on all aspects of running a successful business. It's probably one of (if not THE) most valuable DVDs to have been released in recent years. If you need any more persuading to buy it, just remember Martin is one of the most successful Close Up performers in the UK, and has just been awarded the ultimate accolade - Member of The Inner Magic Circle with Gold Star. If you want to run a successful business as a Close Up performer, you need this DVD !!!
David Hawkins

djhawkins2014@gmail.com
Craig Kyle
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of Craig Kyle
Hey DJ I am loving the dvd as well..some great advice.

We kinda look like twins if you squint a bit don't we?
John Ekin
View Profile
New user
Orlando, FL
6 Posts

Profile of John Ekin
I recently "discovered" Mr. Sanderson and can't speak highly enough about both the DVD's he's released.

I just rec'd Martin's Business DVD and it's also a home run. There are so many great DVD's with all sorts of technique available that I usually feel buried with all the moves, etc.... the magic seems to get lost. Martin's work is for REAL WORLD performers who are making a living, or would like to make a living from their magic.

The previous reviewers have done a good job reviewing the individual routines (which are all succinct and to the point, with strong impact), but what I most need and appreciate from Martin are his suggestions on the Business of Magic. Believe me, this is no small thing when such a well respected, working pro, tips some of his inside techniques on how to sell over the phone, how to work a room etc. To me, this is real gold and although the causal performer may not appreciate it, any working guys out there really need to see this.

We can be proud there are guys like Martin out there bringing up the level of play for all of us.
BUY THESE DVD'S (I got mine in about a week from the UK... very good service too!)
theboss
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of theboss
Martin is a great guy, great magic, great ideas but seriously messed up hair... What is that all about Martin?

Your good friend

James Brown
P.S. My dvd is better than your dvd! Nah Nah!
floridamagic
View Profile
Regular user
lakeland Fl
157 Posts

Profile of floridamagic
I loved the first Sanderson DVD and can't wait to get the second. Erick
GeorgeSantos
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1106 Posts

Profile of GeorgeSantos
No review for his ring to envelope?
"David Roth is the greatest coin manipulator in the entire world.."

-Dai Vernon "The Professor"

I AM A FILIPINO MAGICIAN
magicsoup
View Profile
Elite user
461 Posts

Profile of magicsoup
Ring to envelope is something I haven't tried but looks really good to me. I think it would be an awesome finish to a ring and string routine.
GeorgeSantos
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1106 Posts

Profile of GeorgeSantos
Is the Ring to Envelope gaffless?
"David Roth is the greatest coin manipulator in the entire world.."

-Dai Vernon "The Professor"

I AM A FILIPINO MAGICIAN
Chris Jones
View Profile
Elite user
467 Posts

Profile of Chris Jones
This DVD is full of original magic. martin sanderson thinks in a kind of paul Harris way.
mgshn
View Profile
New user
46 Posts

Profile of mgshn
The Ring in Envelope is, to quote Martin, something he just came up with and which *should* work. IMHO it may not be practical and he even appears to have problems with it during his demo.

OTOH, his Tradeshow SF7 could be worth the price of the video if properly applied. That and the advice sections make this a worthwhile investment.
Baggins
View Profile
Regular user
london
148 Posts

Profile of Baggins
Corporate funnies is my fave bit. Great mischief and comedy combined.

Nice.
Mac_Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami, FL
1440 Posts

Profile of Mac_Stone
About the card in envelope, is like doing a card to envelope/wallet but with out the wallet(you just reach into your jacket and pull out the envelope)or is there more to this(double backers, switches, etc.)if there is more to it I'm not looking for methods I just need to know.
magicsoup
View Profile
Elite user
461 Posts

Profile of magicsoup
For card to envelope you also need to use a gag card. It's available at s tores I think and looks like a good routine.
Mac_Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami, FL
1440 Posts

Profile of Mac_Stone
Quote:
On 2006-06-01 14:12, magicsoup wrote:
For card to envelope you also need to use a gag card. It's available at s tores I think and looks like a good routine.

Do you NEED to use it or could you replace it with something else?
magico
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
863 Posts

Profile of magico
The gag card is part of the reason for going into your pocket. To answer your other question, the spectator removes the envelope from your pocket. No gaff cards are used. It is a great effect.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I have a clip on my website...
http://www.theambitiouscard.com/mSearchR......anderson

I am going to get a copy and see how it is.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
sileeni
View Profile
Veteran user
UK.
361 Posts

Profile of sileeni
I know both Martin, and Russ, who produced it. This DVD has got to be one of my favourites.