The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Which Rubberband DVD? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
NYCJoePitt
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of NYCJoePitt
Just starting with rubberbands, which one DVD should I get first?
1) Dan Harlan's MAGIC WITH RUBBERBANDS VOL 1
2) Dan Harlan's BANDSHARK
or
3) Joe Rindfleisch's EXTREME RUBBERBAND MAGIC

Thanks,
Joe
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Joe,

Welcome to the magic Café. You can start with Bandshark, or Extreme Rubber Band Magic, or Michael Ammar has a good rubber band DVD. Also, I personally recommend all three. Then I suggest you get the Vince Mendoza manuscript, Dan Harlan magic with rubber band vol 1, 2, 3. Vinny Marini the godfather has a great DVD. Russ Niedzwiecki's Pinnacle is also excellent. Kids love Alan Wong's Stargazer. Then I suggest you do a rubber band search at the Café and learn the boomerang rubber band --- the absolute most impressive rubber band trick ever conceived by man.

Have fun!

Al
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10974 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Dan, thanks for the plug.

Joe, since you are getting started in band magic, get every thing you can... Al recommended all sorts of beginnings and they are all higlhly recommended.

vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Hi Joe,

I started with The Bandshark by Dan Harlan. It has some really good, well explained, basic routines on it that got me hooked and allowed me to further explore this area of magic, using many of the resources mentioned above.

Good luck. Mark.
NYCJoePitt
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of NYCJoePitt
Is CMH in either BANDSHARK or EXTREME?
Thanks,
Joe
Okami
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
157 Posts

Profile of Okami
CMH and other basic stuff is in BANDSHARK.
OiNutter
View Profile
New user
Newcastle, UK
83 Posts

Profile of OiNutter
I greatly recommend Extreme Rubber Band Magic. That was the first real thing I got on rubberband magic, apart from the odd trick in other things and I found a lot of the stuff quite easy to pick up and very effective. Plus I personally prefer Joe Rindfleisch's style of presentation. I found it much more fun and enjoyable.
www.oinutter.co.uk

I could read your mind but I'm afraid of what I'd find
NYCJoePitt
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of NYCJoePitt
I ended up going with Dan Harland's BANDSHARK. I'm really enjoying trying different effects with rubber bands, but it does take a lot of practice. I'm a little disappointed in the quality of the explanation. Seems like on Ammar's card dvds (the only other set I have) there is a lot more verbiage about "what angle to look for," "what looks better" and "how to practice." All in all though, it's a good purchase.
Thanks for the advice.
Joe
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4465 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
Go for the Extreme Rubber Band magic. You learn some of the moves and you learn in the other DVDs, but its more, EXTREME. Its more inpossible effects and I highly recommend it
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
GarySumpter
View Profile
Special user
UK
857 Posts

Profile of GarySumpter
Extreme Rubberband Magic arrived today.

I watched it when I got home.

Now I'm not someone who watches for 5 minutes then posts a review, I watched the whole DVD and thought it over as I bought it especially as I want to put together a workable rubber band routine.

I can honestly say that I am HIGHLY disappointed, definitely THE worst DVD I have purchased.

There is not one thing that I will do from the DVD. The so called 'Extreme' rubber band magic refers to a bunch of crappy gag effects that aren't worth anything, several of the effects on there are old tricks with no real added value.

I highly recommend anyone considering this DVD - buy something else, perhaps the Harlan tapes / DVD's ?

Sorry Joe, just stating my opinion!

Gary
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Yes Gary!

I highly recommend Dan Harlan...I have all three Rubberband Magic Vol's...a virtual gold mine, IMO..

Also, I do like Russ N.'s "Pinnacle"...

These should fulfill NYCJoePitt's and your Rubberband Magic needs! Good luck!

Doug
GarySumpter
View Profile
Special user
UK
857 Posts

Profile of GarySumpter
Yes Pinnacle is good too, not a full routine, but nice moves to add in to existing routines!

Gary
mischiefManaged
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of mischiefManaged
Quote:
On 2005-09-06 23:45, NYCJoePitt wrote:
I ended up going with Dan Harland's BANDSHARK. I'm really enjoying trying different effects with rubber bands, but it does take a lot of practice. I'm a little disappointed in the quality of the explanation. Seems like on Ammar's card dvds (the only other set I have) there is a lot more verbiage about "what angle to look for," "what looks better" and "how to practice." All in all though, it's a good purchase.
Thanks for the advice.
Joe

Joe, If you like Michael Ammar, you probably could get his DVD recommended above. You can see it here:
http://www.mjmmagic.com/pages-productinf......mar.html

I just ordered it, and hope to learn some basic, but cool moves. I'm new, and this will be my first DVD from Ammar, but I've heard good things about him, so I'm really looking forward to receiving it.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
But guys Ammar, Harlan, and Reindfleisch is rubber band magic 101. The perfect place to start.
Al
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5488 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
For what it's worth (and I am a big Dan Harlan fan), I LOVE Bandshark, followed by Rubber Band Magic 1 - 3 (many full routines, so plan on some practice time). If you come across Harlan's early lecture notes or, even better, the 1988 sneak preview issue of the Minotaur, you'll be happily rewarded with Dan's Traveling Cash routine (which has more to do with rubber bands than cash). Then you should check out the Rindfleich book, Elastrix 2. Joe's DVD is good as well (I don't necessarily agree with Gary Sumpter, but everyone is entitled to their opinion). Vinny - The Godfather - Marini has a cool addition with Liquid Penetration. Check out his Godfather DVD (plus, he's just a cool dude, all around!!). Some would even say that Harry Lorayne rejuvinated the band craze with Snap! back in the sixties (many variations and takeoffs on that one), and a number of items he published in Apocalypse through the years. Band magic never gets stale and there's so much terrific material to glean from. My advice... buy everything you can find. You won't be disappointed.
okbohn
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of okbohn
I have gotten so much use out of CMH--awesome to have something that powerful on you at all times!
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17429 Posts

Profile of joseph
I would recommend Bandshark, followed by Harlan's 3 video set, and Pinnacle.....
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Harlan's volume 1 thrilled me the most. I don't put his volumes 2 & 3 on the same level.
BobbyJ
View Profile
New user
Tucson, Az
48 Posts

Profile of BobbyJ
I started with Ammar dvd. Then I got Bandshark. Both are a good way to start.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Hey Bobby
Welcome to the magic Café. Next month on February 22 the much awaited Vince Mendoza DVD will be released.
Al