The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Daryl vs. Ackerman DVDs - Pros and Cons :: TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
kirkmax
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of kirkmax
Hi All,

I feel as though I've established solid foundation of basic card work, and am looking to go to the next level. If you wouldn't mind, could some of you that have seen both sets, talk about the pros and cons of each. What are the differences? Which has clearer explanations? Which has the most useful moves? etc.

Thanks
Steve Suss
View Profile
Inner circle
1193 Posts

Profile of Steve Suss
I am fans of both magicians and recommend both although I admit I have not seen all. One advantage of the Daryl videos is I believe they are on sale at L&L. Other than that you can't go wrong with either of these gentlemen. Daryl has a very clear way of describing card magic while Ackerman learned from Marlo and certainly knows his stuff and communicates it effectively.
jcards01
View Profile
Inner circle
Waterloo, IL
1438 Posts

Profile of jcards01
I can only vouch for the Ackerman Video's/DVD's. They are excellent. He teaches well, and the material is advanced. The nice thing is each one is a separate topic so only get what you are interesed in.....shuffles, false deals, utility sleights, etc.
Jimmy 'Cards' Molinari
www.jimmycards.com
Airborne Ranger
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Airborne Ranger
I have both and you can't go wrong with either. I suggest you borrow, buy, or otherwise obtain a DVD of both and see who's style of teaching you like best.
Marco S.
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of Marco S.
I don`t have any of the Ackerman DVDs, but Daryl`s are truly great.
Alewishus
View Profile
Inner circle
parts unknown
1228 Posts

Profile of Alewishus
Daryl's are great and so are the Ackerman tapes of which I own all of each of these gentlemen.
The Ackerman tapes go over stuff that you don't find in the Daryl tapes; he has a whole tape on faro work, one on shuffle work, and one on false deals.
Daryl covers some of this stuff - no faro work, or bottom dealing etc.
Ackerman's stuff is more advanced, but there is also so much on the Daryl videos that I'm happy to have both sets.

A.
Sack subs, ok Ross?
We miss you asper.
Small-hands Luke
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Small-hands Luke
Anyone who has both and thinks one is better than the other for any reason?
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
Daryl is better as a reference.
Ackerman is a little better to learn important sleights.

Both are good.

Hideo Kato
2hot
View Profile
New user
Sydney
89 Posts

Profile of 2hot
For general magic daryl is a very good source. The ackerman DVD's are more tilted to the gambling side of magic
Abiloko
View Profile
New user
Barcelona (Spain)
55 Posts

Profile of Abiloko
Both are complementary. If you study with Daryl's encyclopedia and the Card college from Giobbi, maybe you miss some sleights or some aclarations, and you can find them on Ackerman's Advanced series. Both are very good sources of reference.
Regards.
Best is yet to come ¡¡¡
HGM
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of HGM
I havent got Ackermans but I think that Darly is agreat teacher but like I said I havent seen ackermans

Harvs
Aubrey_T
View Profile
Regular user
Paso Robles
175 Posts

Profile of Aubrey_T
Both are amazing sets and both are superb teachers. I look at it like this, Daryl lays perfect groundwork while Ackerman has finishing school touches. In my opinion it's the difference of reading Card College first than Revolutionary Card Technique afterwards Smile
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
The L&L Daryl shoots are better produced. Ackerman did quite a bit on the pass, which daryl skipped. Whether Daryl uses/likes/kates the pass, he should have taught it.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Jim Morton
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of Jim Morton
I agree with Abiloko and Magic Chris. The Daryl tapes are better for beginners. Ackerman is aimed at intermediate to advanced students. As Magic Chris mentioned, Daryl skips the pass almost completely. He does talk about the spread pass, but you will learn more about this from the Paul LePaul book (which you should have anyway) than you will from Daryl. Also his work on gambling sleights is virtually useless. I get the strong impression that he is so worried about people learning how to actually cheat from his tapes that his hobbled his explanations to prevent this. Ackerman is a much better source for learning to false deal.

The Daryl tapes have one big advantage of the Ackerman tapes that no one has mentioned and and that is that it is easier to stay awake while watching them. Ackerman's voice is so soothing and uninflected that I always find myself drifting off while watching them. It drives me crazy because there is some really sensational stuff on these tapes. This is no aspersion on Ackerman's talent, which is considerable. The Ross Bertram home movies do the same thing to me, although not as quickly. Maybe it's me. Smile

Jim
2hot
View Profile
New user
Sydney
89 Posts

Profile of 2hot
Agreee with jim. If ackerman wasnt a magician he should have recorded bedtime stories. ...dont even comment on the nails. But I prefer ackerman dvds over daryl(which is still very good) as I am more interested in gambling routines
ClouDsss
View Profile
Inner circle
1799 Posts

Profile of ClouDsss
Allan is boring, daryl is interesting

But it just isn't right to compare these 2 set of DVDs as they are geared towards 2 different levels

Daryl's for beginners

While Allan's is for more intermediate sleights

Cheers!
Think outside the box, cos people are all thinking inside now!! - ClouDsss
Jim Morton
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of Jim Morton
Quote:
On 2005-10-21 11:45, ClouDsss wrote:
Allan is boring, daryl is interesting

ClouDsss,

I did not say that the Ackerman tapes were boring; they are not. Sleep inducing and boring are not the same thing. Boredom means something that causes lethargy or restlessness due to lack of interest. Nothing could be further from the truth. The tapes are very interesting, it's just that Allan has this incredibly soothing quality to his delivery coupled with the static nature of the film shoot that inevitably finds me drifting off to dreamland. In spite of this, I am still more likely to watch them than the Daryl tapes, which really are for beginners. I figure that eventually I will see all of each tape between naps. Smile

Jim
Alewishus
View Profile
Inner circle
parts unknown
1228 Posts

Profile of Alewishus
Daryl is interesting?

You're kidding, right?

I've watched those tapes several times over - he's not interesting.
Engaging, yes. Interesting? No.

A.
Sack subs, ok Ross?
We miss you asper.
ClouDsss
View Profile
Inner circle
1799 Posts

Profile of ClouDsss
Wow thanks for the grammar lessons guys. Next time I will be sure to use google to check for definitions before posting here

Cheers!
Think outside the box, cos people are all thinking inside now!! - ClouDsss
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2005-10-20 14:33, Jim Morton wrote:
I agree with Abiloko and Magic Chris. The Daryl tapes are better for beginners. Ackerman is aimed at intermediate to advanced students. As Magic Chris mentioned, Daryl skips the pass almost completely. He does talk about the spread pass, but you will learn more about this from the Paul LePaul book (which you should have anyway) than you will from Daryl. Also his work on gambling sleights is virtually useless. I get the strong impression that he is so worried about people learning how to actually cheat from his tapes that his hobbled his explanations to prevent this. Ackerman is a much better source for learning to false deal.

The Daryl tapes have one big advantage of the Ackerman tapes that no one has mentioned and and that is that it is easier to stay awake while watching them. Ackerman's voice is so soothing and uninflected that I always find myself drifting off while watching them. It drives me crazy because there is some really sensational stuff on these tapes. This is no aspersion on Ackerman's talent, which is considerable. The Ross Bertram home movies do the same thing to me, although not as quickly. Maybe it's me. Smile

Jim

Jim, man you got it right on the LePaul book. One of the BEST kept secrets in magic.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier