The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Table hoppers & party strollers :: Sponge? balls (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
jonzola
View Profile
New user
canada
42 Posts

Profile of jonzola
I ask the spectators if they know what they are. They call out balls, sponges, clown noses...etc. I say "no I have checked with the little red ball people and I have checked with the clowns, they claim they didn't make them." I hand it over to someone and say "I have no idea what they are....I found at the dump."
The spectators reaction gets a good laugh because they usually drop them.

Then I tell them don't worry...they are claen...I have had them for years...they are my pets...this one is named HERE...this one is named THERE. I love them...they can do cool tricks."
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
Hi, I'm Tex Austin and I'd like to show you my balls.
obsidian52
View Profile
Veteran user
United States
386 Posts

Profile of obsidian52
I had a friend that did a sponge ball routine calling them eenie, meenie and when he vanished them all he said, "there ain't no mo" has anyone heard of this routine on video or PDF or someplace??
Chamberlain
View Profile
Special user
629 Posts

Profile of Chamberlain
Quote:
On Dec 19, 2019, obsidian52 wrote:
I had a friend that did a sponge ball routine calling them eenie, meenie and when he vanished them all he said, "there ain't no mo" has anyone heard of this routine on video or PDF or someplace??

Its by Carl Andrews - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3OxFkxIUYs
Eldini
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas
127 Posts

Profile of Eldini
In my show I refer to sponge balls as “magical beings”. They make mischief, multiply, won’t disappear, etc.

I also appreciate simply not calling them anything.
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2543 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
I don't think that you need to call them anything; people can see what they are - sponge balls!

I also don't use innuendo....it isn't required as more often than not, women audience members will do that for you. You can then get more of a laugh with a slow burn technique.
Barry Allen

Over 15 years have now passed - and still missing Abra Magazine arriving every Saturday morning.
jdub
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of jdub
I just refer to them as balls...
ugdini13
View Profile
Loyal user
Chino,Ca
259 Posts

Profile of ugdini13
In a strolling setting, I ask them if they have seen a magic show in Vegaas, and how they have assistants they often say yes or say how they are usually showgirls etc...then I go on about introducing my assistants and act is if I am going to introduce my assistants with a round of applause, than I pull the Sponge Balls or Rabbits out of my pocket, and go into one of two routines that I do.

Kelly
"Perfection is in the details, but detail is no Perfection"-Dai Vernon
nyborn
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of nyborn
Quote:
On Jan 2, 2006, Pete Biro wrote:
Eric Lewis used a line I always got a kick out of... he called 'em "Round Red Rubber Rhomboids."

I couldn't get through saying that once let alone three times fast.
madmalone
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of madmalone
I call them red balls (if Im using red saponges of course)
obsidian52
View Profile
Veteran user
United States
386 Posts

Profile of obsidian52
I Had a good magician friend out of the washington DC area whose sponge ball was eenie, meenie and there ain't no mo (the mo ball vanishes.... anyone ever hear of this routine with sponge balls
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7576 Posts

Profile of RNK
Majority of the time (within context) it's not what you say but how you say and present it. I have so much success with the simple sponge ball to square routine. I think out of the almost thousand performances there has been only 2-3 times people recognized and were familiar with it. I pretty much always just say, "this is what a magician calls a sponge ball" before going into the routine. In my experiences with this, it definitely does not diminish the effect/routine/reactions because I said "sponge ball" instead of "ball". I believe this is because of how I ultimately present the routine and have lots of energy and fun with it. Makes a big difference not just for this effect but all effects.
Check out Bafflingbob.com
bmilanowski
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of bmilanowski
I ask if the person has any pets at home. I say I have pets and show them my pet sponge. I use yellow balls, so they look like a typical yellow dish sponge. "My pet is named Juan because there's only Juan of him." When I split the ball I name the second ball, Amal. "This Juan and this Amal. They're twins. Once you've seen Juan you've seen Amal."
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3096 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
An idea I had was using a red lazer light pointer. I'd have someone hold out
their hand palm up, shine the red dot on the middle of their palm, they would turn
their hand palm down and when instructed open their hand and out pops the ball.

The laser pointer is used with the rest of my routine for the transfers and
multiplication. Served me very well
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!