The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Knots and loops :: Making rope gimmicks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
Does anyone have any experience in making rope gimmicks like snaps? It seems very tricky and I’m sure there is a technique to it. The ropes fray, therefore sewing them is difficult. Plus, to make it convincing, the snaps needs to be recessed into the rope. Trying this is a mess.

I still would like to try if someone knows a way of doing it.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Pavel knows and sells his special rope magic. He has not released his method to my knowledge and no one has attempted to rip him off as of yet. Not even India.

This is not the only type of rope gimmicks available. There is the screw and magnet type as well.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Pavel is not releasing his method is an understatement. When asked about his rope, or his rope gimmicks he only laughs.

The good news is Pavel will custom make anything for you that contains his gimmicks.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Andre Hagen
View Profile
Inner circle
1432 Posts

Profile of Andre Hagen
Pavel's custom work is worth every penny. No one can touch it.

Andy
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
There are a few India snap ropes: Huge ugly seams and they are camouflaged by using a stripe or multicolor rope.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2290 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
Try this: Using a powerful bonding glue, glue the snap to a half-inch length of 3/8" wood doweling. When dry, apply clear drying elmer's glue to the dowel and insert it into the rope. Use the elmer's glue to prevent the rope from fraying. When dry trim to the desired length just above the fastener end. A better finished product without the hassle of sewing.
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
The idea of the snaps is not new to Pavel, he just perfected it. Tarbell I think was the first to use it. If you read his section on it he gives himself credit for it. He does not go into details on how to make it.

But, Pavel's rope are worth the money. If you really study them up close and also try to duplicate it, you can appreciate the work done on it. I think I have an idea on how to do it, but like KOTAH said there is a lot of sewing.

If you want to save money, then go ahead and give it a try. It will take a lot of rope to learn how to do it. But, if you have the extra money, buy it. It is good. The only problem I have is he doesn't go into too much detail on the handling, but I have figured a way that I like. After I did, I liked his trick very much.

I want to learn to sew them because I want to use the Super Walking rope and only bought the simplex. Poor people have poor ways. Such magicians as Tommy Wonder and David Bamberg have mentioned that a well made trick is worth it's weight in gold.
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1181 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
I've not done it with snaps but I have with magnets and with screw gimmicks - The gluing method is OK but it's hard to trim the ends at a consistent 90 degrees to the rope (need some sort of jig I think) and even then unless you are very good you get a visible line where they join. The sewing method seems to produce a less detectable join probably because the joint is not so rigid and has a bit of "give" in it.
Jolyon Jenkins
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
You have to be careful with the sewing method. If you tie the knots at the end too tight, then the ends don't match up because there is a gap in the middle. Also, you have to be careful that the metal doesn't show up. The only way around it I can tell is to sew string around the holes in the snaps ahead of time before sewing it on the ropes. Make several layers this before making sewing it to the ropes.

This job is slow if you want to do it this way. It is a learning process like I said before. Pavel has been doing this for awhile so he is used to it.
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1881 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
Actually Pavel teaches how to add at least magnets into the ropes in his L&L dvds.
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
I have a system down now on how to make the ropes with the snaps. I can show anyone that wants to learn. I will have to send you illustrations as it's easier to show you. I will not tell you how to make the Super Walking Knot as that is Pavel's trick. However, because the snaps are an old technique going back to Tarbell, I'll gladly show anyone that wants to know how to put snaps into their ropes.
Goldfield
View Profile
Veteran user
Traveller
389 Posts

Profile of Goldfield
Quote:
On May 26, 2008, mtpascoe wrote:
I have a system down now on how to make the ropes with the snaps. I can show anyone that wants to learn. I will have to send you illustrations as it's easier to show you. I will not tell you how to make the Super Walking Knot as that is Pavel's trick. However, because the snaps are an old technique going back to Tarbell, I'll gladly show anyone that wants to know how to put snaps into their ropes.

Hello sir
Would you be willing to share your illustrations on how to make snaps gimmicks for ropes please?

Thank you
Goldy
The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love & be loved in return.