The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Trick coin trickery :: Rubber Bands for Gravity Flipper Coins (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Salby
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1257 Posts

Profile of Salby
I have a Schoolcraft Walking Liberty OxF and a Lassen Gravity Flipper.

Besides getting rubber bands from the original creators, are there other magic online stores to purchase these that are just as good?
You know how to make God laugh?........... Tell him your plans!!!
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2356 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Visit your local orthodontist's office. (no joke)

Or you can forget rubber bands entirely. See my notes here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/29h2osli3ju3t......CX8xDXra
Salby
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1257 Posts

Profile of Salby
This is a good idea, but a lot of work.

Anybody know of places to get these bands?

I've seen people post to buy dental bands (3/16) with a "light force". I bought them, but the bands were too big (too much bulky slack) and too thick to fit into the grooves of the gimmick.

Where else?
baronborrelli
View Profile
New user
South Jersey
46 Posts

Profile of baronborrelli
I use the fake Morgan flippers (double sided and good) but ran out of bands. I will look at the elastic thread, but was wondering what size rubber band to use (they are on Amazon). I will look for 3/16 and 1/8 and try them out, making sure they are thin.

Any experience with this, anyone?
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3529 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
A one time fix with the elastic thread will be equal to many rubber band replacements.
Motor City
View Profile
Special user
Metro Detroit Area
589 Posts

Profile of Motor City
Quote:
On Feb 2, 2021, Salby wrote:
This is a good idea, but a lot of work.

Anybody know of places to get these bands?

I've seen people post to buy dental bands (3/16) with a "light force". I bought them, but the bands were too big (too much bulky slack) and too thick to fit into the grooves of the gimmick.

Where else?

Going to an orthodontist office is definitely good advice. Ask for a sample of each size and force. One of those should work for you. However, Inigmntoya gave you good advice. It takes no more work to insert the nylon band than the rubber band and the nylon bands last for a very long time. Schoolcraft sells the bands for their coin already made up. As I recall, the replacement comes with two bands which will last for a few years.
Salby
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1257 Posts

Profile of Salby
I bought those elastic bands from Schoolcraft. I was able to fit it in a Lassen Morgan Dollar. It won't fit in a Lassen WL half dollar (the knot is too big to fit in the groove). This knot can cause a problem when the groove is too narrow. Lassen's grooves are narrower than Schoolcraft's. Apparently, my WL Flipper is a Lassen product also.

I have a OxF Quarter Flipper from Schoolcraft, but Jamie told me that they don't have elastic bands for Quarter Flippers. He suggested dental bands (5/16) (light - 2.5oz). I bought 2 different brands of this on Amazon. They are too tight (the coin parts stay straight like a folding coin and won't hang down with gravity).

Anybody know a good brand to get on Amazon for Flippers of the 3 sizes?:

- Quarter
- Half Dollar
- Morgan Dollar
DrVG
View Profile
Loyal user
273 Posts

Profile of DrVG
Hi gentlemen, any. Updates on this hot topic?
Thanks
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1813 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
Did you read the second post? All you need is there.
cytoplast
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of cytoplast
Roy Kueppers sells some bands that supposedly last a lot longer (like not supposed to break!). They are a bit wider than the standard bands we get but I can attest that it fits in my (Kueppers) WL version and works like it did when I installed it a few years ago. I haven’t tried the elastic thread or orthodontist route yet but I’d likely try the thread myself next time.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2356 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
I'm still cranking away with elastic cord.

Quote:
On Apr 26, 2024, DrVG wrote:
Hi gentlemen, any. Updates on this hot topic?
Thanks