The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes :: Card Craft by J.K Hartman (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2012-11-26 16:36, Card Mechanic wrote:
Any trick [or even a sleight] that is worth it's salt, is worth [at least] $100. There are far more than 1 and a 1/2 effects in Card Craft... FAR MORE!

Worth every penny of $400 USD.

I agree that CardCraft is a fantastic book. Another Café member and I have an ongoing PM conversation about Hartman's work. My only issue as stated previously is that I really don't feel it warrants an after market price that is equalling Greater Magic (Kaufman Edition). This is no offense to Mr. Hartman at all. I have CardCraft and I love the book and all of his others. Greater Magic is considered a foundational book. Richard Kaufman called it a one volume course in magic. CardCraft on the other hand, while a great book, is not a book I would imagine that scholars would label a foundational book. I have read that there are no plans to reprint either book - I am fortunate to have both - but, given the reviews that Hartman's latest book Card Dodgery is getting, it might be a good thing if Vanishing, Inc. acquired the rights to CardCraft from Richard Kaufman and reprinted it. But, perhaps the cost of reprinting would be prohibitive and perhaps there is not enough interest. That said Card Mechanic, I DO think that Hartman's work is among the best kept secrets in card magic. So many people have this strange belief that everything Hartman created were just derivatives of classic effects. On one hand I am glad the fallacy exists because those of us who love his work have some very exclusive material. On the other hand, I really wish more people would take a chance with Haertman. His previous book, Card Dupery garnered a few votes in either the 2007 or 2008 Book of the Year Award here - but it and every other book in that year was blown away voting wise by Joel Givens' Sessions. If Greater Magic is selling for 350 USD, then I think that 175 USD is a fair price for CardCraft - personal opinion of course. The aftermarket for magic books is really strange. I have given up on buying a few of these that I have wanted because I simply cannot justify 400 - 500 USD for the Berglas book. Andy Nyman's Bulletproof was published at near 100 USD and now the price is going up quickly yet someone is selling a mint AoA 3 volume set here for 50-55 USD! Someone else is selling the first Apocalypse for 55.00 USD INCLUDING shipping! That's 30.00 USD LESS than the original publication price for 1/4 of one of THE most important magic periodicals ever to see print.

But again, just opinion and YMMV

Namaste,
Vlad
duanebarry
View Profile
Special user
883 Posts

Profile of duanebarry
Nyman's Bulletproof was actually published at $250, with a pre-publication price of $200.

http://www.geniimagazine.com/forums/ubbt......r=190436
jbadman
View Profile
Special user
London
986 Posts

Profile of jbadman
Must admit, I like CardCraft too - don't intend on letting my copy go - probably wouldn't see one again. Jamie Ferguson - very weird comment; I can only guess you've never actually read it?
http://www.underground-collective.com - check out our new DVD now!
Bill Citino
View Profile
Special user
Doylestown, PA
837 Posts

Profile of Bill Citino
Needed to resurrect this thread somewhat. I was just fortunate to get a copy of Card Craft on eBay (literally, just won it today) and I cannot wait to get it in the mail. Vlad, I mirror your comments regarding price and got lucky.

With that said, does anyone have any recommendations for effects/routines out of the book. I plan to take the plunge and read it cover to cover, but thought I would throw that question out there to all of you to here comments.

Thanks!
Bill
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6142 Posts

Profile of motown
Congrats and enjoy it.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7035 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Hey Bill, congrats on the book, is this your first Hartman book?
alexhui
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong
1956 Posts

Profile of alexhui
Gladful that my thread 6 years old is still living today.

The book is thick but it's a short read for each effect. So it's more fun to read from cover to cover. This way you will find more interesting stuffs.

Alex Hui
Hong Kong
To support 100% honest and unbiased reviews: Donate by PayPal

For BRUTALLY HONEST consultation for your upcoming projects, PM me.

YouTube: Alex Magic Review
YouTube: Themis Magic World
Instagram: @AlexMagicReview
Instagram: @ThemisMagic
Bill Citino
View Profile
Special user
Doylestown, PA
837 Posts

Profile of Bill Citino
Thanks guys. This is not my first Hartman book, but it was the only one I needed to complete my book collection of his work (not including the pamphlets he released). However, I have not read the other books yet. I know, I know. I started collecting them back when I started grad school so my magic reading has backed up a bit. Plus, I'm somewhat OCD when it comes to reading stuff in order; this kinda worked out here. I'm familiar with his work from Apocalypse and some other sources though. I really can't wait to dive into this.

-Bill
Bandaloop
View Profile
Regular user
Dodging attacks for the past
195 Posts

Profile of Bandaloop
Quote:
On 2013-01-16 17:20, Bill Citino wrote:
Needed to resurrect this thread somewhat. I was just fortunate to get a copy of Card Craft on eBay (literally, just won it today) and I cannot wait to get it in the mail. Vlad, I mirror your comments regarding price and got lucky.

With that said, does anyone have any recommendations for effects/routines out of the book. I plan to take the plunge and read it cover to cover, but thought I would throw that question out there to all of you to here comments.

Thanks!
Bill

SO you're the one Smile You outbid me at the last second. I had my top at $145 Smile Congrats
Bill Citino
View Profile
Special user
Doylestown, PA
837 Posts

Profile of Bill Citino
Quote:
SO you're the one You outbid me at the last second. I had my top at $145 Congrats

HAHA. Sorry, Bandaloop. I was the one and trust me I understand your feelings. It's happened to me before. I was curious if it would've been anyone on the Café lol. For what it's worth. There were some other copies posted last I checked.
Ghost Counter
View Profile
New user
Plymouth, England
36 Posts

Profile of Ghost Counter
Over ten years on, Card Craft is back in print again. Having read many views/reviews here on the forums, I decided to buy it and got it here in the uk from Vanishing Inc priced at £76.25.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6142 Posts

Profile of motown
So nice to see this wonderful book back in print. Thanks Richard!
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
macc
View Profile
Loyal user
207 Posts

Profile of macc
I hope Card Dodgery will be back in print too.
macc
View Profile
Loyal user
207 Posts

Profile of macc
All books produced by Vanishing Inc are now available as eBooks. I just ordered Card Dodgery.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7035 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Card Dodgery is a beautiful book. If you can, try and attain the real book.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7035 Posts

Profile of magicfish
"All books produced by Vanishing Inc are now available as eBooks"
What a shame.
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1408 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
Quote:
On May 4, 2024, magicfish wrote:
What a shame.

What a misanthrope.
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1339 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Those of you out there who are thinking about purchasing the Card Craft reprint should be aware that it is missing a page. The publisher outsourced the reprint to China and did not keep a close enough eye on the project. Nor did he say anything about it after the error was caught. You will have to ask him for the PDF of the missing page. I don't want to spend a $100 for a magic book missing a page of its contents, so I'm glad I purchased an original copy years ago.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7035 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On May 5, 2024, Tim Cavendish wrote:
Quote:
What a shame.

What a misanthrope.

Yes, yes you are.
Perhaps you'd like to leave your mom's basement and come attack me in person you ...
Misanthrope. Ah heck, I hate big words, but I'm too much of a gentleman to choose a smaller, more accurate synonym to respond to your characteristic vicious, unprovoked, personal attack.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6142 Posts

Profile of motown
Quote:
On May 6, 2024, magicfish wrote:
Quote:
On May 5, 2024, Tim Cavendish wrote:
Quote:
What a shame.

What a misanthrope.

Yes, yes you are.
Perhaps you'd like to leave your mom's basement and come attack me in person you ...
Misanthrope. Ah heck, I hate big words, but I'm too much of a gentleman to choose a smaller, more accurate synonym to respond to your characteristic vicious, unprovoked, personal attack.
I thought his comment was quite odd myself.
– Karl Germain