The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: New to magic? :: Magic as a hobby (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
xandermagic
View Profile
New user
Denmark
28 Posts

Profile of xandermagic
I am a 31-year-old man who practices magic as a hobby.

I have some props to do some effects. The props I have and practice on are

Flite by steve thomsen
Floating bill
Biddle Trick
Sponge Balls

I like to perform for family and friends.

For the flite ring flight I practice the fren
*ch drop to make the ring disappear but maybe the tak*e vannish would be a better move.

Im very bad with cards so doing the biddle trick is for me a bit complicated but I learn some basic sleights to perform it wich is good.

I just wanted to share some of the things I do.
Deckstacker
View Profile
Elite user
Sunny SoCal
442 Posts

Profile of Deckstacker
You say that you are "very bad with cards," and at a full half-century older than you, I am not very good at performing sleights, either. Actually I was never very good when I was your age--just too lazy to do the required practice I guess.

I therefore would suggest that you might wish to try your hand at a couple of so-called "self-working" effects that rely more on what I would consider "procedure" rather than manual dexterity. My latest favorite is Benjamin Earl's 'Red Herring,' which your being from Denmark made me think of--minus the curry sauce, of course! (smile) But there are lots of other really good self-workers out there for you to play with. --Have fun!
Never try to teach a pig how to sing. You will waste your time, and it annoys the pig.
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1227 Posts

Profile of mlippo
I agree with Deckstacker's reply.

Since you said you're not able (at least for the moment) to perform sleights with the due precision, makes me, as well, suggest you to put your hands on a few self-working card tricks books: I think one of the best choices would be Roberto Giobbi's Card College Light, Lighter & Lightest series of books.

"Red Herring" is a wonderful trick, I know because I perform it, but it is just ONE trick. And it needs a good presentation. In books (any book) you find at least a few dozen of tricks to pick from.

Mark
Deckstacker
View Profile
Elite user
Sunny SoCal
442 Posts

Profile of Deckstacker
I likewise completely agree with mlippo's reply. "Self-Working Card Tricks" by Karl Fulves is another great choice. But if I may just give one more plug for Earl's 'Red Herring,' because all the shuffling etc. takes place in the spectator's hands, you can lean on your your own confessed lack of card-handling skills as the reason you choose to perform it--a nice subtlety that you can play up and make work for you.
Never try to teach a pig how to sing. You will waste your time, and it annoys the pig.
xandermagic
View Profile
New user
Denmark
28 Posts

Profile of xandermagic
Thank you so much for both of your sweet replies and for taking the time to reply. Now I know where to look. Smile
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Inner circle
Beverley, UK
1339 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
Xandermagic ...
get yourself to:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_q......d+tricks

enjoy the experience ... and welcome

WulfieSmith
Loudini313
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Loudini313
Hey there,

I am at the exact position like you - in age and “sleight” of hand.
What I can highly recommend, is to learn an easy stack like the Si Stebbins.
So I don't need a lot of moves, but there a still wonders possible to create.

Best
Luke
kShepher
View Profile
Elite user
Washington, DC
470 Posts

Profile of kShepher
For sleightless card magic I highly recommend John Bannon's Destination Zero, and Giobbi's three volume "Light" series. Both are world class card magic without sleights.
jared23m
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of jared23m
When it comes to the difficulties with learning sleights, I second the recommendations of self-working tricks and stacks. Another thing to consider is buying gimmicks that fit your particular style. They don't have to scream "gimmick." Not like one of those tennis racket looking velvet bags that silks come out of (I hope I'm not offending anyone). But there are many tested, workable gimmicks out there that actually look like normal objects and I definitely recommend using them to your advantage.
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Special user
New York, NY
595 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
It is unclear why you are bad with cards. Perhaps your sources of instruction were inadequate in not giving detailed instruction or enough practice to improve your skill. If so, a beginner in cards can do no better than Roberto Giobbi's Card College, volumes 1 and 2. Alternatively, Harry Lorayne's Close Up Card Magic provides tricks that employ some sleights which are taught. However, most of the material therein does not require difficult sleights. Finally, in reality, sleight of hand requires practice, practice and more practice. Good luck.
So many sleights...so little time.
"Slow...deliberate...natural." Bill Tarr

Cheers,
Teddy
Chaikuni
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of Chaikuni
You can always get better! I've been doing magic for as long as I can remember. I am also 31. There was a moment around high school where I got embarrassed and quit doing it because I was the "magic kid". But every Christmas time, I find myself falling back into it.

I initially got into cardistry, unique shuffles and off XCM and can still do it from muscle memory.

Practice!
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2840 Posts

Profile of Bob G
For sleights, Harry Lorayne's The Magic Book is a nice complement to Card College, and it's at a beginners level, unlike his Close Up Card Magic. (Sorry, Teddy. Smile ) Also, for books that use some sleights, but a minimal number of relatively easy ones, try Bob Longe's books. I especially like his "101 Amazing Card Tricks."

Bob
umutK
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of umutK
You can search Daryl's work on cards. There are tons of things you can learn
Mik-Kado
View Profile
New user
Antwerp, Belgium
36 Posts

Profile of Mik-Kado
I'm also in a kind of a "re-beginner" state...

In the past I performed close-up magic for small parties, weddings, etc...
I ended up doing sidewalk performing and busking, what I find the most rewarding type of magic (but this is for everyone different ofcourse).
After I changed to my current job as a busdriver, I quit all of my magic activities due to lack of time and variable working hours.
Moreover, 2 daughters came into our live and I didn't get any more time...
My last performances as a busker were around 2017 or so. After then I never performed any magic anymore...

So now it feels like starting over again... But I am determined: this year I want to get back out there as a streetperformer!
I still have all my props, all my stuff, and my streetshow is still in my mind.
But it will take a lot of courage to go out and stand there again....
Live your most beautiful life.