The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The International Brotherhood of Magicians! :: 2024 Convention (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4856 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
I haven't been able to get to a national convention for a long time. I was checking this one out and am I reading things right, the hotel is $179 plus tax per night? I know hotel rates have gone up but this seemed like a lot for a convention rate.
Where the magic begins
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1044 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Yes, it is currently $179 through the IBM link if booked before June 7, though it looks like the hotel could sell out before then. That is actually quite a good price for that area. Regular rate is in the $300s.

The West Coast has become very expensive for conferences. I was planning a conference for my regular job and looked at conference hotels we used previously in San Diego. Rates were 70% higher now than when we last used them pre-Covid.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4856 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Thanks Frank. Not sure if I can make it anyway. We are moving from NJ to Michigan in May and that's expensive too. Have to check the money tree in the back yard. LOL
Where the magic begins
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1044 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
I hear you, Dave. It is going to be a pricey one. I won't be able to make the IBM International this year either. Though, I do think it is important for the IBM to rotate the location of the main convention across the U.S. and to maintain the regional ones across the world. It is only fair.

Welcome to the Midwest! You won't have any problem finding conventions to attend here: Abbott's Get-Together (July/August) and Magic Close-up (March) in Colon MI, MagiFest (January) in Columbus OH, FCM in Danville, IN (July), Ring 1's Gateway Close-up Convention (April) in St. Louis MO/Collinsville IL, among others. And even the Tennessee conventions like KIDabra (August) and Ring 58's wonderful Winter Carnival of Magic (March) are within driving distance of Michigan.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4856 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Yeah, we're moving to Kalamazoo. I lived there before for 4 years. I just retired so I'll have a lot of time to check out the magic.
Where the magic begins