The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Right or Wrong? :: Using Cards n Things with Copyrighted Content (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
MagicallyEverAfter
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of MagicallyEverAfter
I recently bought a Frozen themed stripper deck because I want to add a trick with fairy tale characters and it got me thinking.

Can I use products in my act that are made by Disney (and or Bicycle) or some other authorized manufacturer?

I have been playing around with several ideas and it occurred to me that all or some of them might be illegal. It would be better to identify the bad ideas now rather than get a Cease and Desist when my trick becomes the hit of my act!

So here are some ideas, are any of these okay?

The Disney stripper deck I mentioned above?

I wanted to have a trick where I guess the thought of thing. I don't want to use cards because I cant expect the kids to remember the pips. I thought Lorcana cards have Disney characters and that would be an easy thing to use for this purpose because they already exist and I can pretty much pick and choose what characters to include.

I have a handmade set of Color Monte cards I've been testing using the Disney bicycle cards that kids love because the story about a hustler at a fair is not as compelling to kids as the story of Snow White. A lot of these kids don't have an allowance and don't know the meaning of money... so losing $14... well... they understand the concept but its not engaging.

Saying a name of a character? For instance, I could say Ebenezer Scrooge had a dream but could I say Scrooge McDuck had a dream?
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3523 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
From my understanding, personally using them should be ok, yet if you were to be producing those tricks for sale is where you would get into licensing procedures.
MagicallyEverAfter
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Can "Guess a Disney Character" be part of a trick?

I mean, I know character costumes get people in trouble... I just don't know what the law is when you are talking about Disney characters or Star Wars(Disney) or Marvel (Disney) I mean, let's face it... Disney went out of their way to buy up everything kids love so... can we talk about pop culture or not?
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3523 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Are you selling "Guess a Disney Character" as a product? It is in this area of copyright and licensing that would bring trouble.
If it is something you are only using personally, I would think you will be alright.
MagicallyEverAfter
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Quote:
On Mar 29, 2024, Wravyn wrote:
Are you selling "Guess a Disney Character" as a product? It is in this area of copyright and licensing that would bring trouble.
If it is something you are only using personally, I would think you will be alright.

LOL No but if its a paid gig I thought that might be an issue, selling a service. I guess I'm just confused why someone couldn't wear a costume but could tell a story and show a card with the same image. Copyright law has never been totally clear to me.

Thanks for your input.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5932 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
If it really is a concern you should consult an actual legal professional whose focus is IP Law. Disney has a reputation for strongly protecting their intellectual property.