The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Gaffed & Funky :: Stick or Spray (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Simloki
View Profile
New user
Midwest USA
10 Posts

Profile of Simloki
...and we're not talking deodorant here Smile. I'm trying to gaff some cards and wondering what are the pros and cons of r**ghing stick versus a spray can (which is what I've used in the past). The spray seems to leave a visual hint when looked at in the right light---I'd like to avoid that.

Thanks!
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
A stick will be worse at leaving visual evidence.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Back in the olden days, we used liquid ruff--g stuff and a cotton ball. Smile
Simloki
View Profile
New user
Midwest USA
10 Posts

Profile of Simloki
Quote:
On Oct 13, 2022, Julie wrote:

I may try spraying onto a cotton ball first and seeing if that smooths out the texture a bit. Thanks.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Use a VERY THIN coating at first, let it dry thoroughly and in the unlikely event this doesn't do the job, apply another THIN coating.

Also be aware many have discovered it is more useful to coat a limited area as opposed to the entire surface of the card(s).
DelMagic
View Profile
Special user
721 Posts

Profile of DelMagic
If you ever use a liquid like we did in the old days of roughing, do not use cotton balls. Whatever you use, make sure it is lint-free. I used lint-free cheese cloth.

Check out this thread for another alternative. (page 32)

https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......tart=620
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On Oct 13, 2022, Simloki wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 13, 2022, Julie wrote:

I may try spraying onto a cotton ball first and seeing if that smooths out the texture a bit. Thanks.

I use Liquitex Matte Medium in a plastic bottle and apply it with a cotton ball. I found the stuff at Hobby Lobby, years ago.
Paul24243
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Paul24243
As Julie said, only a thin coat, start the spray and steadily pass over the top half of the card/s and then back over the bottom half.
Jansor
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of Jansor
I recently posted about Krylon Matte and Non-Skid sprays I discovered as an alternative for R&S.
Here is the post: https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......orum=203

The Krylon Matte Finish Chalky is hard to see and to feel, so the cards look and feel normal. You can even hand them to a spectator and they won't notice anything unusual about them
Magical Moments
View Profile
Veteran user
340 Posts

Profile of Magical Moments
Quote:
On Oct 12, 2022, Julie wrote:

I used to use that little glass bottle from Louis Tannen. I believe I still have one of those bottles with the Tannen name and trademark on it.
markymarkmagicuk
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
303 Posts

Profile of markymarkmagicuk
Was interesting to read Julies post, as it brought back my memories from the 70s when Harry Baron sold me a small glass bottle of roughing fluid (his secret formula) a golden color liquid that you did indeed apply to cotton wool and smear over the cards. This stuff was amazing and working for years.
I've since tried all the roughing sticks and had moderate success but they usually leave traces, I'm convinced I'd get same results by rubbing a candle over the cards!!!!
I always revert back to the various Matt clear coat spray cans these work well and last well.

For those who are as old as me will remember we used to use sugar dissolved in hot water, wiped this solution over cards, when dried they had stickiness to grip cards, but probably not a good idea if you're performing at a outdoor picnic, you may get swarmed by wasps, or witness the ants marching off with your cards!!! Now that would be an amusing sight!!! LoL
Nikodemus
View Profile
Inner circle
1179 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
I like Science Friction (which is a spray). You only need it on one card for it to work, rather than both cards. Also I find it more reliable with my dry hands.
badwords
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of badwords
I started using Mack's Ear Plugs as a sort of stick recently as recommended in the post below. Only thing is I find getting the cards to separate during something like a spread way too impractical. So I use a spray for something like an ID and these plugs for color changing deck finishes, finishing packet tricks clean, Monkey in the Middle, etc. Really recommend trying out these Mack's.

Quote:
On Oct 19, 2022, Ed Wilde wrote:
Here is a hack that Juan Tamariz shared with John Archer, who I heard it from in a lecture. I figured that if it was good enough for them it probably works, and it does. The product is a Silicone Putty. It is soft, as you would expect a putty to be. But you can use it somewhat like a crayon and apply it to a card. Another card will then stick to the “treated” card. No need to apply to both cards. The cards will stick together easily with light pressure to adhere them. You can toss the card pair in the air, drop them on the ground and they stay together as one card. When you want them to split a light sideways pressure is all it takes, similar to R&S. No noise when they separate like other glues I have used. You can experiment with whether to draw an X across the card with the putty or a stripe at top or bottom. It all depends on how easily you want them to separate and how much you want to toss them about as “one card”. The putty is sold as an ear plug. In the states it is sold as “Mack’s Pillow Soft Earplugs”. You can find it at a pharmacy (Chemist) with other ear plugs. I got mine at Walmart, who sell their own brand of the product for a few cents less that Mack’s. It is invisible and clear, like most R&S treatments. Hard to notice unless you are looking real close and know what to look for. Spectators never see it since it is clear. Highly recommended.