The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Trick coin trickery :: Copper/Silver/Brass with East African Dime (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
thecromulent
View Profile
Veteran user
Brooklyn, NY
390 Posts

Profile of thecromulent
I was thinking of commissioning someone to make me a Copper/Silver/Brass set with an East African dime rather than the typical Chinese coin. I've written to Roy Kueppers, whom I met very briefly at Magifest, but I haven't gotten a response. Has anybody had good experiences getting sets like this made up?

Thanks.

Evan
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2353 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Todd Lassen originally came up with the East African Dime / Peruvian Un Sol de Oro / Half dollar CSB combination. Jamie Schoolcraft and others followed suit.
Any custom coin maker should be able to make one for you, or you could post a "want to buy" listing. Lassen CSB sets won't be cheap.

Quote:
On Mar 24, 2024, thecromulent wrote:
I was thinking of commissioning someone to make me a Copper/Silver/Brass set with an East African dime rather than the typical Chinese coin. I've written to Roy Kueppers, whom I met very briefly at Magifest, but I haven't gotten a response. Has anybody had good experiences getting sets like this made up?

Thanks.

Evan
thecromulent
View Profile
Veteran user
Brooklyn, NY
390 Posts

Profile of thecromulent
Love your user name. "Prepare to die."

When you say "any custom coin maker", do you have a suggestions? I've heard that it's also tough to get in touch with Jamie Schoolcraft.

Thanks.

Evan
cytoplast
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of cytoplast
Quote:
On Mar 24, 2024, thecromulent wrote:
Love your user name. "Prepare to die."

When you say "any custom coin maker", do you have a suggestions? I've heard that it's also tough to get in touch with Jamie Schoolcraft.

Thanks.

Evan

I had a fast response when I recently reached out to Jamie. However it’s my only time so I can’t speak to consistency. They’re all small operations so will be balancing machining time vs email responding time. They are all in demand and I suspect they have far more emails coming in than they can deal with effectively.
MarcelR
View Profile
Regular user
Cologne, Germany
139 Posts

Profile of MarcelR
There was recently a thread about a C S "B" with African coins. This was magnetic set and made by Ted Bogusta. Maybe you don't have to buy a custom one.

https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......c=766981
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1811 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
It's a different gaff so a different set of coins. I can't speak to what routine thecromulent wants to do, so it may not be exactly what he wants. Certainly an option, though.

I second cytoplast - you'll have to reach out to folks to find out lead times and costs. You might need to supply your own coins. There's a whole thread about (mixed) experiences with Roy, but he's certainly an option.
I also know there are some smaller makers (Ronald Davies comes to mind https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......rum=202) but I don't know which of those do shells and/or CSBs as both of those require different tooling than C/S gaffs and split coins.
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2539 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
Schoolcraft recently made a CSB set for me where the coins are an East African Dime, a Walking Liberty Half Dollar, and a Peruvian Un Sol de Oro. I provided the coins. It took a few months to get it, and it was on the expensive side.

But it is as close to perfect as you can get, a miniature work of art. It was worth the wait.
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1682 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
There was a guy on ebay selling those. I bought a set from him.
Fantastic work.
I have just look out for him but he is not longer active.
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3624 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
I have been looking for a set like this for a while now, really hard to find, as I am still looking!
thecromulent
View Profile
Veteran user
Brooklyn, NY
390 Posts

Profile of thecromulent
Thank you all so much for your thoughtful responses! I'm going to reach out to Jamie Schoolcraft and Ronald Davies. The Ted Bogusta version seems like a different gaff, and it's sold out anyway.

Thanks again.

Evan
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1337 Posts

Profile of Leo H
The Lassen hoarders have gone to eBay. The herd was forced to find another watering hole after he died. You will have to elbow your way into the eBay auctions and be prepared to pay large sums of money.
thecromulent
View Profile
Veteran user
Brooklyn, NY
390 Posts

Profile of thecromulent
Update: I heard back from Schoolcraft, and they aren't making sets like that right now. Ronald Davies made me one, and it will be shipped to me tomorrow!

Evan
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2353 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Cool.
Let us know when what you think of when it arrives.

Quote:
On Apr 4, 2024, thecromulent wrote:
Update: I heard back from Schoolcraft, and they aren't making sets like that right now. Ronald Davies made me one, and it will be shipped to me tomorrow!

Evan
thecromulent
View Profile
Veteran user
Brooklyn, NY
390 Posts

Profile of thecromulent
I already got it! Ronald was wonderful to work with--very communicative and fast--and he gave me a great price. The gimmick is a little thicker than I expected; I have a Johnson 2C1S gimmick that is the same thickness as a Kennedy half, and I was expecting the same, but I think the relief on some of these coins made that impossible. I'm sure it will fly by in performance. And when I asked Ronald about it, he immediately offered me a full refund if I wanted it, but I'm going to keep it. I'm so happy to have this set, and I would not hesitate for a second to order from Ronald again.

Evan