The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Nothing up my sleeve... :: Thank you, so much... (522 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9..15..21..27..32~33~34
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Speaking of “skills”… I bring you here simplicity at its best by one of the very best of our time, bar none. I noticed him mentioned in another thread and thought of when he first came on this wonderful show. Just a treatise for me that keeps proving that less is more. In this case, the award is not in necessarily winning the prize but was more greatly given in tribute of his fine abilities (just listen), perhaps some of the finest the world has ever known. And y’know, I often mention the big, small, and all of us here, well with that you know Albert Goshman, is somewhere smiling down from on high. Smile Anyway, these few minutes are a great lesson in the art both in demonstration and appreciation of this wonderful worker…

*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
dj
View Profile
Inner circle
1185 Posts

Profile of dj
I think this is Shoot Ogawa's latest creation. Amazing routine!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeVGbmHsMuE

I experienced Shoot Ogawa live once.

What can I say?

Awesome!!!

He showed his coin routines (he and Apolo Robbins) in front of my eyes.

I was about 50 cm away. That means really close up.

Even though I know coin magic and I know a few things, I still really didn't know how he did it.

He blew me away. He really blew me away.

Shoot is an incredibly good coin magician and I think the problem is marketing, how best to publicize his stuff.

Maybe I'm wrong but that's my impression.

Darko
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Yes dj, he is quite a unique worker, just fascinating to watch and to listen to as well…what you say here and Penn & Teller so honorably said about him in the performance, is about what Dai Vernon said about another such master that was, David Roth. Smile

Hey, you guys know I like to speak of everyone that progresses us forward in the art, and this guy just keeps up the pace with his wonderfully creative coin magic. Some of us just stay in our lanes as to whatever sorta coin magic we do and of course that’s cool too, but some just keep stretching the boundaries to see what’s out there. This is a new one from him, with all the ingredients he usually puts into his unique magical brew. Mixed just right, as only he can, it brings about some powerful stuff, again & again…And as usual, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND you check it out... Smile

www.dannygoldsmithmagic.com/rooted
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

badwords
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of badwords
Thank you so much for this thread. I've spent hours watching all this well-curated magic at work recently.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
You are most welcome, so glad you are enjoying the string here. Happy to have you aboard our good ship here on this part of The Cafe…Welcome! Smile

Hey, I was waiting for my wife and grandson to come out yet another store most recently at the mall. While waiting at a sitting area, a young woman and her son came to rest a while. She was tired and her little 6yr old was bored. We struck up a conversation and I noticed how disinterested the little boy was in shopping (me too) Smile and so I asked if I could show him a little magic. I begged him near and pulled a coin from his ear. (He wasn’t impressed) but then I also pulled one from his mom’s ear and he began to take notice. He was a bright little boy and I could see his little mind working to figure this out (his mom was just baffled as she clearly recognized my hands to be empty after pulling the coin from her sons ear) Smile Anyway, I then took the two shiny half dollars and did a simple old bit of trickery. The little boy followed every move, carefully he and his mom (she asked if she could film it so his dad could see later) watched as the coin jumped invisibly from the left to the right hand to join together magically in one hand. The over-studious look left his face and was replaced immediately with pure wonder, and then came a big smile as he stared at his mom who was also staring in bewilderment at him. Smile He was no longer bored but noticeably excited. His mom thanked me again & again for lifting their spirits with magic. What fun! Smile

It all didn’t take much but to set the hook and remember an old classic. Simple stuff, but often times that’s all it takes. Smile And here’s a real classic old-timer showing the way..

Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I know Lubor Fiedler is smiling down.. Any magic applications here?

MarcelR
View Profile
Regular user
Cologne, Germany
139 Posts

Profile of MarcelR
Vanishing the black "holes" from doublesided chinese coins. That's the first thing that comes to mind. They've always bothered me.
You could make the drinks disappear at a bar, but I guess a lot of people would use it for vanishing the money from a bank.
I suspect there is far more criminal potential here than magical. I also see a potentially problem for magic. If this were public knowledge, many laypeople would immediately have an "explanation" for a lot of effects.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
It’s always nice to learn a bit from some of the best as many times that’s how they learned as well.Try this one as it teaches a lot of the basics as to presentation, flow and use of our kind of deception… Smile

Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
People here seemed to really enjoy this tutorial. Classically fun piece to play around with out there. Smile

Another story for you…

I was at the deli section of the supermarket just the other day and ran into a playful couple waiting for their order of sliced meats & cheeses. I decided to show them some magic while we waited and they were all in for it. Smile I decided to show them my Grandpa’s Famous 3 Coin Trick, my version of Gadabout Coins. They were a younger couple and I took them through the deceptive phases. Their amazement each time caused more people to gather round and by the time I reached the final phase, even the guys cutting the meats were anxiously watching. Smile Now, I like to turn the corner a bit on the last phase, and instead of going 2 to the hand, I go 1…Why? Well, I like to say that sometimes 3 coins is 2 coins too many for a lot of folks, and this keeps them willing to stay the course. Plus it helps to silence the coins going to the pocket. Smile At the end, everyone was audibly blown away by the vanishing of all the coins and I was nicely applauded as I picked up my order, smiled and left. Smile

I’m telling you, this effect is a wonderful one to perform, because of all the magic and especially the interactivity right up close. It is just the perfect coin trick as it’s got everything in it, including loads of deception and fun. If you only had to learn one coin trick, this one would be a hard one to beat. Smile

Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Y’know, sometimes it’s just so nice to see simple and good magic. No long routine or meandering patter, just some on-the-spot good coin magic. This guy is really good at it, and quite creative. I like seeing when people mix the old with the new for something amazingly refreshing like this…

Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I just wanted to circle back and remind folks of the wonderful new book by one of our own here using the coin box. Nev has put together a cadre of effects with this classic piece of coin magic. It’s always nice to see people delve deeper into the art and fashion their own stuff, and then think to share it with the craft. This was a real labor of love for Nev, and I do hope you give it a whirl as coin box magic is just so deceptive and amazingly fun to present. Not to mention it’s important to support good magic as it is what progresses us all along the journey. Smile

GJo
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of GJo
Quote:
On Apr 25, 2024, Mb217 wrote:
I just wanted to circle back and remind folks of the wonderful new book by one of our own here using the coin box. Nev has put together a cadre of effects with this classic piece of coin magic. It’s always nice to see people delve deeper into the art and fashion their own stuff, and then think to share it with the craft. This was a real labor of love for Nev, and I do hope you give it a whirl as coin box magic is just so deceptive and amazingly fun to present. Not to mention it’s important to support good magic as it is what progresses us all along the journey. Smile

Perhaps Nev could add a link to his promo video, so folks have an easy way to buy his book.
Nev Blenk
View Profile
Regular user
Northumberland UK
128 Posts

Profile of Nev Blenk
Thanks for the mention MB. Below is from my original post.

The last few weeks I have been uploading routines from the book onto Instagram @nevblenk including some new ideas that didn't make the final cut. I will also be adding them to youtube asap.

I have had some fantastic coments regarding the physical quality of the book (eg the colour photos) but I understand that shipping from the UK to around the world can be expensive. Therefore if anyone is interested in a PDF version please get intouch.

Best wishes to you all and once again thank you Marion

Cheers
Nev

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Coin & Box by Nev Blenkinsopp
112 pages
8.5 x 11 format
Full-colour photographs

Hello friends. My new book is now available to buy directly from me.
It consists of 25 routines, 21 using coin boxes and 4 without. Some use additional items and gaffs that you will already have or can get hold of easily. If you are familiar with the box work of Roth, Gallo and Latta you will be ok with the routines in the book.

Price is (UK pounds)£25 + shipping
UK Shipping £4
USA/ Canada £12.50
Singapore £12.50
Europe £10

Paypal only to nev@nevblenk.co.uk

I am based in the UK so unfortunately the price to ship overseas kind of sucks. If you have any questions please ask and feel free to email me if you wish. My day job is a bit hectic so I will answer messages ASAP.

I have been fortunate to have some well-respected coinmen assist me with earlier book drafts and have written a few kind words.

There are totally new concepts and refreshing updates to some old ideas. If you love the Okito Box and you want to know what to do with it, Nev is one of the few guys making innovations - Rick Holcombe

Within these pages, you will find routines where coins travel in and out of the box, transpose with others, change colour, coins that shrink and how about a routine where the normal ending for a box routine happens in the middle! - Joe Cole

Coin & Box by Nev Blenkinsopp is a refreshing new look at some dynamic Okito magic. It is chock full of routines, moves, and clear explanations, along with some beautiful photography to help guide you every step of the way. It's been quite a while now since we’ve had such a gifted worker share a book on this wonderful part of coin magic. It should find its way to every bookshelf on this part of the art. I highly recommend it - Marion Boykin
Coin & Box - book available directly from me.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLA8lRnEJbbzlw6Ai1R4M_Q
Instagram @nevblenk