The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The little darlings :: Are you still using a live rabbit in your show? (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Mumblemore
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Mumblemore
Hi kid show magishes,

Are those of you who used to produce live rabbits (say 5 or 10 years ago), still doing it? Or has the post-COVID cleanliness trend or the animal rights movement, or some other factor, made it harder to use live rabbits?

Thanks for any advice. I would like to get back to using my rabbit production boxes, but it will take an investment in a fox-proof hutch under the deck, and I have heard some resistance to live animals at birthday shows lately.

Cheers.

Todd/Mumblemore
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2393 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
I have had absolutely no resistance, or any complaints about using a rabbit in my act for about 10 years. In my 35 years of using a rabbit, I can count the number of objections (I wouldn't call them complaints) on one hand. Quite the contrary. Its the highlight of the show.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Mumblemore
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Mumblemore
Thanks. Good to know.
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1356 Posts

Profile of danfreed
I used one around 25 years ago for a short time. I always felt like it was more trouble than it's worth. I switched to adding puppets with ventriloquism about 15 years ago, the kids love it, I enjoy doing it, and I don't have to take care of them and worry about their well being.
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1169 Posts

Profile of Russo
I used a live rabbet for a while - then found a rabbet puppet called a 'kicker Rabbet' - that kicked when holding it. - years ago. wonder if still available
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1653 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
I've been using a rabbit in my shows from 1975 and bever had a complaint or any negative remarks from any of my customers.
Every bunny I had was treated as one of with care and respect. Each one has their own personality and if you are gentle with them, you can teach them tricks. The children and parents love to see them act up.
Knowing that that people always remember my bunny if I give it a well known name (Pop Culture), years ago when Robert Redford was a big name, my first bunny name was (Rabbit Redford)-and the next one (Peanuts)-(Tina Tuna like Turner)-(Lucy Lue)- my black bunny(Beyonce) and my recent (Lady Gaga).
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7542 Posts

Profile of RNK
I just used my rabbit in 2 shows this month and everyone loved him! Always a highlight in the show.
Check out Bafflingbob.com
PressureFan
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of PressureFan
I remember the Kicker Rabbits. I started to make one years ago but never finished. Here's a thread:
https://themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=283167
stuartmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Derby England (UK)
240 Posts

Profile of stuartmagic
I always use a live rabbit in my kids shows and it is one of the reasons that I get well booked, a long way in advance. The children and adults absolutely adore a live rabbit and he is the highlight of the show and has brought smiles and joy to lots of children over the years.