The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes :: All Out Magic - Steve Shufton (a Magic Portal review) (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
canaday
View Profile
Special user
Florida
742 Posts

Profile of canaday
All Out Magic - Steve Shufton
$45.00 (US), Outside US ($50)
https://www.shufton.com/Magic/All_Out_Ma......gic.html
(to be released April 15, 2024 Tax Day!)

The Hype:

Where it all begins:

After handing her a regular, mixed pack of playing cards, she will deal them one at a time, face-up, and stop whenever she wants...

Where it all leads:
The card she stops on matches your prediction!

Inexplicable Mental Magic!

All Out Magic is a book of hands-off mental card magic you will use!

You will find 42 pages with killer material, complete with some handy props to get the job done.

A deck is examined and mixed. She deals the cards face-up, and stops whenever she wants. A second deck is immediately ribbon-spread. A single card is seen to have an "X" on its edge. It matches the card she freely dealt to!

The performer never touches the deck!

Just you, and two regular decks.

THAT'S ALL!

Or a single face-up card is in the spread. It matches her card!

There is truly a SINGLE face-up card.

IT COULDN'T BE MORE FAIR!

It could be a premonition in an envelope on the table, or in your wallet, or in a participant's hands or pocket the entire time!

Instant reset!

*** AS A BONUS ***

My favorite, the Birthday Card Trick, is fully explained! It can feel so personal to your participant, the experience becomes emotional!

Use this effect for any anniversary - creating an unforgettable moment:

A small, examinable twelve-page booklet lists a different card for each day. She will be shocked when she looks up her own "birthday card," and it is the only one that matches the card she randomly dealt to!

Unique method!

A trick requiring a skill you may already have, it will inspire you to push your mental magic further!

Stunning mental magic.

Ideas to use for a lifetime.

Perform close up, walk-around, groups or one-on-one.

Prepare yourself for a ride into profoundly strong, powerful and entertaining

magic you will use!

My Take:

Many years ago, I attended a one day magic convention in Peabody, Massachusetts. Afterwards a few of us adjourned to Eddie Gardner’s Diamond Magic. David Hill, a young magician from Rhode Island, showed me a trick he just bought called X-Ray and told me how good it was supposed to be. Of course, I had to buy one too but unfortunately David got the last copy so I had to order mine. It was well worth the wait. An absolutely killer effect and it introduced me to Steve’s work This was so good I floored a former president of the Psychic Entertainers’ Association with it. Since then I have reviewed several books by Ben Harris, all of which were edited by Steve.

So, when Steve asked me to review his latest release, it didn’t take me long to say “YES”. If I see Steve’s name associated with a product, that’s a guarantee that it will be excellent. And, of course, this release is. And, as an added convincer, the Forward was written by Mark Elsdon, a master mentalist.

Like a lot of magicians, I am cheap. At least that is what my wife calls it. I prefer to think of it as cost conscious. So in order for me to print out a booklet of 42 pages, it has to be something special. I not only printed this out, I even bought a binder so I could add this to my library. However this is not something that you will have to deal with. You receive the booklet nicely printed in the package. Since mine was pre-release, I worked from a pdf (which still was worth the ink)

I absolutely love the first item in the book, “X” Marks the Spot. I am sure all of you have done a trick with multiple outs, with a max of 3 or 4 outs. (A contestant on a recent Penn and Teller show tried to fool them using multiple out and no, it didn’t fool them) Steve has come out with a beautiful way to have 8 outs, significantly making the effect that much more deceptive. He does offer some valuable advice that can boost the out up to 20 virtually guaranteeing that you will have a hit. It takes two decks and requires a little set up time. However, nothing complicated to make and this is an easy killer trick to perform. The volunteer deals the cards face up seeing that each is different and stops whenever he wants. You then show that the matching card in another deck is the only one with a mark on it. This is so powerful and simple I am amazed this is the first time I have seen it used. Plus, he teaches you the Cyclic Force which you will be able to use in countless other routines.

Inexplicable has been released previously. However the previous release came with a specially designed envelope instead of the sheath you get now. In my opinion, the sheath makes the routine much more effective. A version using cards with animals was also released.(Animal Instinct, still available on Steve's site) he spectator deals through a packet of cards and the one he stops on matches a card sitting on the table inside of a sleeve. You receive the sleeve and and 4 specially printed gaff cards which allow the magic to happen. Only one card is required for the routine so you actually have four different endings making it repeatable. You are also given a template you can use to make another sleeve if the one you receive wears out or you would prefer a different color. The Cyclic Force makes another appearance here. Of these two routines, Inexplicable would be my choice.

The Reversed Card. I am sure you are familiar with the Invisible Deck. Steve has come up with a whole new way to approach this plot. You already have the special cards you need although you will have to make a trip to the magic store. Once again your spectator deals down, stopping whenever it feels right. A second deck is spread and the card dealt to is face up in the other deck, the only card face up.

Now for some real gold. Shufton’s Birthday Card Trick. Steve has kept this close to the vest for many years and he has finally decided to share it. For years, I have used Paul Gordon’s Diary trick and loved it so had to see what was different with Steve’s. This is the one trick in the book that does require a “special skill”. If you have this skill, you will have a new best trick. If you don’t, this could inspire you to take the time to learn the technique. (Like Unshuffled by Paul Gertner inspired a lot of faro shuffle practicing). The birthday booklet needed is not included in the package but you are given directions to making them. If you don’t feel like the arts and crafts bit, Steve will custom make you a set.

Although this is the most complex routine in the set, your work will definitely make it worthwhile. Steve has made a name for himself with well thought out and different methods. I won’t kid you and say that you will be able to do this on the same day the mailman delivers it. You won’t. This will take a good amount of work so your success will depend on just how dedicated you are to your art.

There are only four routines in the book but each one is a reputation maker. I have been following Steve a long time and everything I have seen him put out has convinced me that the man is a genius. You will love the thinking on this and I hope it inspires you to pick up X-Ray, which requires no special cards and is easy to set up. I, for one, am anxious to see what this man will turn out next.

Buy it. Enjoy it. And Devastate your crowd (including magicians who will have no idea what has just hit them.) Highly, highly recommended.
Shufton
View Profile
Veteran user
California
316 Posts

Profile of Shufton
Greetings, and thanks for the great review, Mr. Canady. The release is on April 15th. Anyone who orders before then will get a signed copy.
Regards to all-
-Steve
Fobulous, Emergency Cash, 3D Paradox, PS-I Love You, X-Ray, The Portal, Ultimate Floating Match, Miracle Premonition... and more!
http://www.shufton.com
Shufton
View Profile
Veteran user
California
316 Posts

Profile of Shufton
I'm back soon. That's because a review just came out that you might value. I don't know if you are familiar with the detailed reviews of Jeff Stone, but he is well known for his integrity regarding all things magical. There is both a written review and a video review. See what you think:

https://mylovelyassistant.com/36065

Best to you all-

-Steve
Fobulous, Emergency Cash, 3D Paradox, PS-I Love You, X-Ray, The Portal, Ultimate Floating Match, Miracle Premonition... and more!
http://www.shufton.com