The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The words we use :: All Screwed Up (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
grahamk5
View Profile
New user
Accra, Ghana (ex-London, UK)
89 Posts

Profile of grahamk5
I love this effect but was wondering if anyone uses an alternative patter to Doc Eason. I feel uncomfortable using his because of the "sucker" effect.

Is there any other alternative than telling it as a trick which someone did to you (so you become the sucker)?

Thanks
Graham
SOHartist
View Profile
Loyal user
Ft. Myers, Florida
211 Posts

Profile of SOHartist
Could you tell me more about this trick? And if you can, I'd suggest you being the sucker. (no offense) Smile
grahamk5
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of grahamk5
The plot is as follows…
3 nuts are shown.
2 go in the hand and one in the pocket.
Hand is opened to show 3 nuts again.

This is repeated a few times but the last time there is now 2 nuts and a bolt.

The bolt goes in the hand and the 2 nuts in the pocket and the 2 nuts are made to magically pass into the hand. When the hand is opened the 2 nuts are shown to be threaded onto the bolt.

Strangely I dreamt last night that someone had posted a patter which involved a dog which kept returning to it’s elderly lady owner!
Myrddin
View Profile
Regular user
Belgium
108 Posts

Profile of Myrddin
I like a straight forward patter in most of my routines. A card is a card, a bolt is a bolt and a nut is a nut. So a card will never be a detective, a bolt won't ever be a dog in my routines. Smile

However "All Screwed Up" is an ideal trick to play with words and such : bolt vs bold, now I screw it, it drives me nuts... Because you're English speaking, I'm sure you'll find a patter along this idea, if it suits you...

Peter Vanspauwen
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of marko
This is a great trick. I like the patter Doc uses. With the 'two-in-the-hand, one-in-the-pocket' scenario, it's very difficult to get away from the 'sucker' scenario. "I have three, I put one in my pocket, how many are left?" If you're polite about it, it's not a 'challenge' situation. If you say "No, there's three, gee you're dumb!" you're asking for trouble. With the right attitude, it's fine. It's a comedy effect, so treat it with the light-heartedness it deserves, and you'll get a good response without turning into a 'sucker' thing. Pretending the props are something else (like a dog and elderly lady) wouldn't work because the comedic pay-off involves the literal representation of the props ("I 'screwed' up!"), not what they symbolize.
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
grahamk5
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of grahamk5
Thanks for the replies. Marko that was very helpful.
Thanks
Graham
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
While Doc Eason may have popularized it, the effect actually is by Gary Frings and first (to my knowledge) appeared in Genii magazine back in the early '60s.
Doc Eason
View Profile
V.I.P.
Aspen Colorado
429 Posts

Profile of Doc Eason
Peter,
You are close...it is Christopher Frings and it was in a Genii mag in the late 70’s.

I have met Christopher and cleared this with him ...and I give him credit when I do my lecture...

Dollar for dollar, it is one of the most commercial routines out there...the best...

doc
Doc Eason’s Rocky Mountain Magic

PO Box 50 / Basalt CO 81621

doc@doceason.com

http://doceason.com

http://doceasonmagicshop.com
Ty Argo
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
525 Posts

Profile of Ty Argo
Where might one learn this interesting effect?
Oh Doc, by the way, you're not planning on coming around Ohio for a lecture anytime soon, are you?
Thank you.
Dyslexics UNTIE!!
grahamk5
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of grahamk5
Ty - You can find this on Bar Magic: The Real Work A 'Doc'umentary Volume 3. All the stuff on the tape is great and it also includes Docs handling of the Anniversary Waltz.

Graham
preston91
View Profile
Regular user
clearwater,fl
186 Posts

Profile of preston91
Doc also sells this effect individually at http://www.doceason.com.
I like it and use it often..
Paul
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
2326 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Hey guys. I’ve started a new magic review show with my son Ryland. On this weeks show we review All Screwed Up and discuss the pros and cons of the trick.

Here’s a link to the review show.

https://youtu.be/_DAkgpsLZX4

Any questions let me know.
jdub
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of jdub
Ryland did an awesome job!
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
Only three EZ payments for a PDF of my
1855 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Quote:
On Jul 23, 2003, grahamk5 wrote:

Is there any other alternative than telling it as a trick which someone did to you (so you become the sucker)?

I am surprised that no one mentioned the third way to "sucker" patter this. First way is the audience is the sucker. Second way the perfomer is the sucker. And the third way is the sucker is referred to in the third person. Smile
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.