The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: What happened, was this... :: Just how wrong can it get? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Coppertop
View Profile
New user
UK
13 Posts

Profile of Coppertop
At Christmas I performed the annual Christmas Magic show for the extended family.

Plenty of practice ensued in the lead up to the event so that nothing would go wrong and a polished professional performance would be delivered...

I was well into the set list with no issues and had already successfully negotiated the first part of a two part routine. The second part consisted of a chosen card being placed in the deck which was in full view all of the time. After some suitable waffle and time delay the deck would be ribbon spread and the chosen card disappeared into the ether, only to be found inside a Kinder 'egg case', which was in turn inside a Christmas bauble that had been hanging on the Christmas tree from the start.

Pride goes before a fall...

I was just thinking that I was doing so well! I ribbon spread the deck of cards and there in full view was the spectators chosen card (it should have been safely ensconced in a gaff in the deck). After missing a few beats, I just said "See your card has gone, nowhere to be seen, vanished into thin air". The thing is that genuinely, everyone agreed it had gone. The spectators 'card' was duly found folded up in a seemingly impossible location and a nice round of applause followed. Happy days.

Obviously this scenario has many different outcome possibilities and perhaps I was just very lucky. It did make me think though. I have read enough trick descriptions where the author says 'this move requires you to be brave/bold'. e.g. Card to Mouth. I had never been either brave or bold enough to try some of these routines. However, the Christmas experience makes me wonder just how much you can get away with (by bravery or by accident).

So, what is the biggest thing that you have 'got away' with and have you ever done it more than once?
ThomasJ
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
1000 Posts

Profile of ThomasJ
Is it possible at least one person saw it and was polite enough to avoid mentioning it? If I understand correctly, the whole deck was spread face up and your card was somewhere visible in the spread among the rest? Most laypeople probably don't scan the indices as quickly as magicians do, so depending on the time delay between the "disappearance" and reveal, it's possible they just took your word for it and suspended their disbelief enough to enjoy your performance.

I'm not sure it's the boldest thing I've ever done, but I enjoy doing a bluff shift without any cards in the right hand, which is supposedly cutting off half the pack. Inspired by subtleties from Aaron Fisher's bluff shift replacement.