The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Periods & styles of Magic :: Magic for SCA advice (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Wilktone
View Profile
Loyal user
Asheville, NC
258 Posts

Profile of Wilktone
My wife and I are casual members of our local SCA barony and we enjoy going to local events. I usually bring some magic to perform, mostly just casually when people happen to walk past our day shade and stop to chat for a while. If I draw enough of a crowd I'll go into a two or three trick routine.

I'm looking to up my game, though, and I find myself lacking tricks that would be appropriate since most of the things I enjoy and have learned are closeup material and frequently with props that are too obviously not medieval looking. I'm looking for advice for tricks that would be good for two situations:

1. Parlor tricks that I can put into a longer show with a larger crowd standing around. I already have been performing Professor's Nightmare and a Chop Cup routine (which I might swap out with a Cups and Balls instead). The tricks don't have to be historical for the period, I just want them to not stick out as obviously modern.

2. Tricks suitable for walking around and going table to table before and during the feast. Table space is often very small or non-existent, so it would be nice to have things that don't really require much, if any, table space. Again, the tricks don't have to be historical, just not look too out of place.

While I'm also asking, have any of you SCA magician types put together an official SCA persona that is related to performing magic? I've been going often enough that it's time for me to go ahead and register an SCA name and develop my persona.

Thanks,

Dave