The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: I.B.M. Youth :: Magic Club advisor (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Professor Corleone
View Profile
New user
Northern California
2 Posts

Profile of Professor Corleone
Hi! I started a magic club at a local high school in California. Should I get my kids signed up with a local ibm chapter? How does that work? Sorry about being so naive about ibm and thanks for directing me. I also am curious about joining the ibm. Thank you!
Tim Snyder
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago, IL
112 Posts

Profile of Tim Snyder
I am a member of SAM and also Subscribe to Genii magazine. I am not a member of IBM.

I don't think it is important / helpful for your kids as a whole to be encouraged to join IBM. You have enjoyed magic without ever joining. If you have a student or two who seems especially serious about the art, then I would encourage them to look into joining one of the societies. For someone new to magic, I might encourage them to subscribe to Genii magazine even before joining an organization. The magazine gives you a nice feel for / understanding of the whole magic community.

There is so much cheap and free material available today for anyone interested in learning magic -- YouTube and used DVDs from the big auction site. I would use these materials to illustrate the enormous variety of magicians and the types of magic they perform. As students started to formulate their own style and preferences, I would point them towards groups, organizations and conventions that would help them to become "good" performers in their selected style.

Your average club members can just enjoy fooling around with magic after school. Clubs, organizations, magazines and conventions run from about $50 to $150. The Magic Café is free. I have learned as much here as from anywhere else.

I hope your club at the school is a fun experience for everyone!

Tim
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1169 Posts

Profile of Russo
Surfing "Café' Youth Learning Magic - a good Library has many Books on Magic and How to do, even how to make the effect.. Both Adult and Childrens sections - I know - I worked p/t for 16 years at a County Library - AND could get / barrow from other Libraries in the County. And did many PAID Shows at many Libraries.
Shawn Farquhar
View Profile
V.I.P.
Canada
760 Posts

Profile of Shawn Farquhar
Wow Tim, that was some incredibly bad advice!

Did you know that as an IBM Youth member they can attend the convention for FREE? Nope, I suspect you did not. Yes the Cafe is free and is a valuable asset if used correctly. It can also be a toxic place for a young person and if no monitored can be harmful. Not everyone here plays nice. Also not everything here is accurate, like telling someone misinformation, like you have done!

Did you know that as an IBM Youth member they can attend the Lance Burton Teen Seminar for free each year. This is the premiere seminar, hosted by Lance Burton, Jeff McBride, and Larry Has, with dozens of guest magicians sharing their magic and knowledge and magic.

They also get The Linking Ring magazine, yes a magazine which you "encourage them to subscribe to Genii magazine" which is currently $58 a year for a subscription. Membership to the IBM for a Youth is just $50 and includes a magazine that is always 100's of pages in content monthly and even features a Youth section and contests with prizes only for them!

The 1221 Society is another benefit of joining. This is a youth created and run society within the IBM that meets via Zoom monthly to share ideas and make friends. Face to face on ZOOM people are much more friendly. They have guests each month that do Q&A and even teach magic to the members.

I haven't even discussed the local aspect of Rings, Mentors, the contests, the convention, the JAM sessions that give free access to events around the world...

You began your post Tim with "I am not a member of IBM." and it's clear that's a fact...almost everything else you wrote, is not a fact. Professor Corleone came asking for advice, we should in all good faith give Professor Corleone advice that is accurate and helpful. I can see this post is from 2021, but it's important that if anyone else should stumble on this thread, they know facts, versus opinions. I do agree with your closing statement, "I hope your club at the school is a fun experience for everyone!" I do as well.

Sincerely,

Shawn
Past IBM International President
SAM Life Member
om_darji
View Profile
New user
South Orange County, CA
24 Posts

Profile of om_darji
I considered signing up with my local IBM ring, along with encouraging my Magic Club students to do the same. Depends on your local ring. Generally mingling with other magicians is great but just make sure the kids know what they're getting into. My local IBM ring is relatively welcoming but any minority magician needs to know that many magic clubs are minimally diverse. Just a safety thing. One of the worst experiences I've had with magic is walking into a cramped room of stuffy old white men and having no clue how things are going to turn out.

Then again, my local IBM Youth Ring has 1 member. Yeah. Research your local area before you make a decision, and thanks for providing all the resources you can for your magic club students!
Candidly,

Om Darji (he/she/xe)