The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Helping hands :: Men as assistants (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1234 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
LOL! Yes, some video exists... but it hasn't been transferred onto the net yet... hopefully it won't be either!!! LOL
escapologist2001
View Profile
Regular user
Connah's Quay, Wales, UK
127 Posts

Profile of escapologist2001
I've just come across this thread - should have spotted it years ago.

I use male assistants for the sawing in half routine. Do people think I'm gay? They may well do. If they do, they're right. I am.

Most of the acts I do are at gay venues - private parties cabarets etc, and it's quite nice to get a nice guy from the audience and perform the jig-saw illusion on him.

There's already been mention of the sexual aspect of magic - usually a handsome male magician and a beautiful female assistant. Why shouldn't there be a gay equivalent? Or lesbian equivalent come to that ????

Lothar, did you ever get your guy zig-zagged?

Robin
KerryJK
View Profile
Special user
Northampton UK
621 Posts

Profile of KerryJK
A plot I've worked on using my Harbin sawing involves sawing a guy based on a misprint. I get two volunteers up, one girl, one guy, making a big build-up to them assisting with the classic illusion of Sawing A Lady In Half. The equipment is unveiled, along with a flamboyant painted sign announcing "Sawing a laddy in half".

Cue much embarrassment, hand wringing and lines about the guy who painted the sign ("I spelt it out to him.."), before taking it as a cue to have the girl help saw the guy in half instead of the more traditional way round.

I haven't performed this enough yet to comment on how it is received, but it also has the benefit of being easily adapted on the fly, should the prevailing wind make sawing the better option on a particular occasion.
Lothar
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of Lothar
I recorded a performance of my zig zag.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX1Be34UWhk
Lothar
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of Lothar
I gotta get back on my soapbox-

I just saw the latest episode of Australia's Got Talent- after searching for 3 hours. (The important thing is that I found it.) I only watched it for "Merlin award winner" Cosentino. He uses his brothers in his illusions, which makes him one of my favorites. Anyway- the bumper ad AGT runs right before Cos' segment shows him saying "This is a dangerous stunt I have never done here before." He ends up performing the broom levitation , with his red head female assistant. This is a guy known (by me) for creativity, great escapes, and complete originality. I really hope he keeps illusions in his act. He has an upcoming TV special that will be mostly street magic and dancing with his red head.

I guess it's up to me to carry the torch. My thin model sawing is my newest illusion. it's big enough for 5'8"- 6'0" and made of solid steel. I'm thinking the background song may be "Iron Lung" by the band Big Pig, lol.
escapologist2001
View Profile
Regular user
Connah's Quay, Wales, UK
127 Posts

Unfortunately your youtube link is blocked in the UK :-(

Robin
Lothar
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of Lothar
Try this one: (I might need to "Friend" in order for you to see it.)

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10150839199496501

Sorry for the rant. I should lay off the O'Douls.
escapologist2001
View Profile
Regular user
Connah's Quay, Wales, UK
127 Posts

No, can't see that page either :-(

But feel free to add me as a friend - Robin Fox
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
I primarily perform as an escape artist. When I did nightclub gigs in the late 70s, my assistant (called my 'stage manager') was a burly guy who doubled as a bodyguard if needed.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Rodentia
View Profile
New user
Southern California
81 Posts

Profile of Rodentia
I think it all depends on how it's presented, the character performer and assistant, the context of the show..I work with fire and have my safety as my "assistant", that's how he's referred to when we meet people, but it's because it's an easy reference.. He's so much more..he has his own character and his own talents, such as voice acting, that add so much to the show..

I think people are over thinking a lot of this..if the show is entertaining, if the audience leaves happy..the labels don't really matter..
Fire is a demanding Mistress...

http://combustiblecircus.com