The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Books/Pamphlets/Notes :: Frog Tales by Robert E. Neale :: TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3782 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Frog Tales by Robert E. Neale (second edition)
---------------oOo-----------------

Description: HOW TO FOLD JUMPING FROGS FROM POKER CARDS AND DO FIVE TRICKS WITH THEM...
Finally, a complete treatise devoted to the charismatic card frog fold by its creator, origami master and acclaimed magician, Robert E. Neale. Dozens of dynamic illustrations by Earle Oakes make learning the fold and the accompanying tricks a delight.

Softcover, 43 Pages with 41 illustrations

---------------------------------------------------

Pet owners spend millions of dollars each year caring for their cats, dogs, birds, hamsters, lizards...and frogs? The point is, human beings have a natural love for animals. They find them cute and at the very least fascinating to observe. Even non pet owners visit the local zoo or marvel at the many animals when the circus comes to town.
It is no big surprise then that magicians have used animals in their acts for years. Whether it is an appearing dove, rabbit or the ever popular tiger, there is a reason for their continued use - audience's love it.

Unfortunately using live animals in your act has many draw-backs and plenty of responsibility. Not too mention the liability issues - what will you do when your four hundred pound tiger eats the woman in the front row? Yikes!

All that aside, when is the last time you saw a close up magician using live animals? Pretty rare to be sure and with plenty of good reasons, not the least of which it is very unpractical to carry around the little beasts. Besides, I'm not sure producing a live dove at the table while folks are eating is a good idea. Health issues and common courtesy pretty much make such an act impossible.

But, there are other ways to accomplish a similar goal. Meaning, not only entertain an audience - but give them that happy feeling they get when they see something cute. Perhaps you could use a frog? Not very fury, but does and can fit the cute criteria. No, not a real frog - how about a frog made from a playing card?

Years ago Michael Close released a series of books called Workers. In one of them (I think volume 3) there was a very cool card trick called The Frog Prince. While I am not a huge fan of Close's material, I do consider The Frog Prince a modern classic. I've used this and lay people go nuts - they love it, and that's good enough for me. Smile

After using this for a number of years I began to hope that perhaps one day someone would take this playing card origami idea and compile a book of ideas or routines.
Well, thanks to the good folks at H & R Magic Books, author Robert E. Neale and artist Earl Oakes, a complete book has been written, printed and available for your reading pleasure.

The book is titled FROG TALES, and though I had never heard of this until recently, was apparently popular enough that it is now in its second printing. After reading through its fourty three pages, I can clearly see why.

First we are given easy to follow tips and instructions on constructing our playing card frog. Thanks to Earl Oakes' excellent illustrations I think even an idiot can follow along. When finished, you not only have a frog (and there are several variations given), but the little critter will actually jump...very cool. Now I realize some of you will have no interest in such things, and that's okay - because those of you who actually take the time to explore this will definitely reap the rewards.

Though you can use any poker size playing card, I realize that most of you who are reading this no doubt use the standard Bicycle Rider Back design, and that's a good thing too. Why? Because now with the introduction of the Lime Green Bicycle Deck, your little frogs will actually be green...a memento your audience will not soon forget.

Okay, so once you learn how to successfully construct the little boogers - now what? Thankfully the book goes on to describe five effects that make use of your new frogs, and I believe that anyone who has an interest will find at least one idea to their liking. Bottom line: If story magic is something that you enjoy performing and the idea of using Frogs appeals to you - buy this now! Recommended. Smile

---------------------------------------------------
My rating:

Suggested retail: $15 + S/H

You can contact H & R Magic Books directly at:
richard@magicbookshop.com

To order, visit the H & R Magic Books website by: Clicking here!

H & R Magic Books
3839 Liles Lane
Humble, Tx. 77396-4088
USA

Phone: (281) 540-7229
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks