The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: Fish called custeau (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
ssucahyo
View Profile
Inner circle
1954 Posts

Profile of ssucahyo
Hi,

Anybody know A Fish Called Custeau? The small fish in the tank can find the choosen card? Sound unbelievable right? I saw in Hocus Pocus.
Any comment?
Cheers,
Cahyo.
EvanMagic
View Profile
Elite user
Manitoba
471 Posts

Profile of EvanMagic
Chris Korn did this on Mondo Magic. It's an amazing trick if its in the right environment. Places like a restaurant, stage show, or maybe a kids party wouldn't work out too well. Possibly a kids party if you want all the kids crowding around it. If you work in a petstore this is one awesome trick. People would pay big money for that fish, even though the fish cant really do that:P:P. For what I am doing I don't need it.

Hope this helps,
Michael Berends
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
220 Posts

Profile of Michael Berends
Hi,

Mago Anton puts this out. Kinda neat if you ask me.

You can see a video of the effect here.
http://www.magoanton.com/ingles/videos/videos3.htm

The site is in Spanish.... All you have to do is click on picture (screenshot) to the right of the description to see the video.

Hope this helps,
Michael Berends
www.michaelberends.com
"IMPOSSIBLE HAS JUST BECOME AN OPINION"
TOTALLY MAGIC
View Profile
Elite user
Las Vegas,NV
436 Posts

Profile of TOTALLY MAGIC
It's a cool trick but I really don't think I would use it in a show.
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1197 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
Why hurt an animal for a little excitement? There are more amazing effects out, that show the skill of a magician not a fish half dead! I watch this and it makes me nauseous, this magician should never have done this. DJ
Carron
View Profile
Special user
UK
958 Posts

Profile of Carron
This trick saddens me each time I see it anyone who would do that to an animal should not be allowed out in society its only a trick and so cruelty to the fish i.e. feeding it metal pellets is simply unnacceptable and then on top of it all charging $700 for the privelige

Tom
ssucahyo
View Profile
Inner circle
1954 Posts

Profile of ssucahyo
Thank you very much for all your very kind valuable advice. I will consider more before I get it. Yes, I agreed not to hurt the fish. As I do not clearly know the details how to treat the fish, but I though the bearing can be taken out of the fish after the show. Not to hurt or kill the fish.

Cheers,
MagoKiko
View Profile
New user
Spain
12 Posts

Profile of MagoKiko
I see you don´t know the secret of this trick. But please, how do you say "feeding it metal pellets" ??? That is false, and the fish is absoluty normal after the trick, same as before. As we use rabbits or doves, there is a moment to force them to do something strange for them, but nothing more. So we don´t hurt the animal, and do it suffer? I don´t think so, at least not more than a bird for example used for typical aparition, etc,etc. The unnacceptable thing is only to see people writing with metal pellets in their brains. :-P

Cheers!
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1197 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
Ok it may start again,

Watch the fishes movement! It is unnatural and the fish is being forced in its direction. Imagine if this was happening to you? a dove or rabbit is simply placed in holders that are not uncomfortable, infact most of the doves love preforming and hanging out in holders. One of my keets favourite places is my pocket. He just hangs out in there and I put some seed in and he just thinks its a big party, he doesn't come out. What I am saying is that the work with animals like birds is not cruel like this effect is. Anyone watching can tell the fish is being forced where to go. I showed it to many laymen and they cringed.

please avoid this, fish are living creatures too, they do have a consciousness, they are aware of things happening around them, and most of all, they can feel pain. Let them have their free will in the water. And don't argue the point just because you know the creator and or wasted 700 on the effect and now have to use it. This is the lowest possible thing any magician could ever do to impress an audience, this is a sickening effect!

DJ
MagoKiko
View Profile
New user
Spain
12 Posts

Profile of MagoKiko
Imagine you are a dove in a straitkacket, asphyxiate during 30 minutes, tight close to the heat armpit of your owner, and then he pushes out you, because you was tied down with a little rope around your neck and he pulls out it, so you are forcing to go in that direction. And everybody applaud thinking it is all right !! It is always a happy trick, don´t you think?!! ....except if the dove appears died. I kwnow it has happened sometimes, also I know some people take care a lot their animals. The real problem is all can see the fish every moment, but nobody see doves or other birds, rabbits, fishes hidden in a thumb tip, etc, because they are hidden, most of times suffering or at least forced to do something strange for them. They are pushed, confined in little hiddden boxes, sometimes appearing with fire or smoke, with violent moves, etc. Are they feeling "pain"? Most of times I don't think so, as the fish. Of course for 3 seconds the fish is forced (like pushing it with the finger) in one direction, that´s all. After the effect the fish is absoluty normal. Is it "pain"? As other animals I don´t think so if we have some care with it. Probabily sometimes they will be unconfortable, even they will be fed up with us or may be the contrary. I remember Amos Letkovich talking about his doves, they love him. I also think the fish can love us, don´t you? The problem is the fish has not memory, it forget everything in 5 seconds. If the fish wanted to kiss us they would forget it before it could. That´s a problem to be in love, but even that we can try it just hopping one day it remember all our effort. :-P

Other point is to understand the consciousness of animals. One day somebody will tell us we are maltreating a bug, because it is feeling pain, even if it is not nervous system!!! And believe me, it has already happened.

If you are extremly susceptible with animals, and you think all animals must be free, and magicians or even anybody can use them for nothing, ok, that´s your opinion and I accept it. But the unnacceptable thing is if you think that only with this fish trick, exactly the same stupid think if you think owner and fish are the only people who can fall in love, because we know it happen with owner and his doves for example!

By the way, I don´t do that trick, but if you want to know the lowest possible thing any magician could ever do to impress an audience look better the real problems. Magicians who serious maltreait their wifes, or their children. Magicians with relentless sex pursuit, acting with drugs or just really bad temperament and wickedness, or simply doing a deplorable and regrettable bad trick. That are real problems in magic.

So be a good magician and leave the fish in peace with its life loving, hating or feeling indifference.

Cheers!
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1197 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
MagoKiko,

Have you ever seen a dove worker produce a dove. If the magician is good there are no fast or violent movements at all. Infact the movements are so smooth and easy you cant even see them happen. I am not argueing that this effect is the only effect where an animal is placed into a wrong situation. What I am argueing is that this effect hurts the animal and is wrong. Some other aminal affects would recieve the same responce from me. But a Café member was asking for the oppinion of people who have whitnessed this effect and what they thought of it. I simply gave my oppinion, so who are you trying to defend here?

DJ
MagoKiko
View Profile
New user
Spain
12 Posts

Profile of MagoKiko
DJ,
"so who are you trying to defend here???"
No, I also simply give my opinion. I see a morbid susceptibility. Because I kwow the exactly method and some people said false things (see feeding it metal pellets). You wrote this is the lowest possible thing any magician could ever do to impress an audience. Those things are unnacceptable in my opinion. I know real maltreait in other effects or magicicians, so even I understand your symple give me your opinion, in the same way I say it is wrong.
I think a dove (for example) usually suffer more than the fish does, but because we can not ask the animals that is a subjective question so all people can give us their opinions in that way, and we will accept them.

Cheers!
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1197 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
I accept your arguement. Lets agree to disagree on this one...

DJ
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
I don't agree with the 'dove in a straight jacket' analogy but I will say that I can't see very many reasons or places to perform this effect.

Between the limitations of the trick and elevated cost there is only one thing that I'm interested in...why would you purchase this effect and what do you expect to get out of it?
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4865 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Mago, as a dove worker for many years, I have to take exception to the description of what is happening to a dove while it is in a pocket.

1. If properly placed in the harness, it is not a straightjacket condition. The dove is just as comfortable sitting in the harness and pocket, as it is on a perch. They are not asphyxiating. Done properly, there is plenty of air for them to breathe.

2. The dove is not in the pocket for 30 minutes. Most are in and out in 7 or 8 minutes.

3. They are not kept in the heat of the armpit. They are well forward of the arms entirely.

4. In a harness, the line or "rope" is not around the doves neck or even close. It is attached to the harness. The dove slides as if on a sled and not pushed or pulled out. Even barehanded, the "rope" is not around it's neck.

I didn't intend this to be a lesson in Dove magic, but Mago, if you're going to compare things to make a point, you should use examples that are equal and accurate.
Where the magic begins
MagoKiko
View Profile
New user
Spain
12 Posts

Profile of MagoKiko
Dave,
I knew what I said is polemic for dove workers, and also I expect no fish workers would write here, even I talk about fishes hidden in a thumb tip (a lot of magicians do a fish aparition using it).
I know you are talking about the typical dove workers aparition. Obviously there are a lot of kind of harness, handling, minutes before the dove appears (it may be 7 o 8 minutes if the preparation of your act is close your starting, and if your dove act is the first in your show) Anyway there are more methods and debatable unconfortable situations for doves, hidden in little false bottom box, sleeves, tubes, etc.
I know a good dove worker will take care about that. But this is not the point, because we can not ask the dove if they are unconfortable, even suffering or just the contrary.

The point is that is a subjetive question so we can imagine everything, so every comparision is accurate, we can only say our opinion. May be they are enjoying o crying. That is why I think we have not equal talking about mistreat or care for them. Anyway, for me it is enough if we use the common sense...

Mr. Muggle,
"why would you purchase this effect and what do you expect to get out of it?"
A think a good magician will expect be lucky to have a friend (the fish) and together astonish and enjoy people.
;-)
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4865 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Mago, that's fine. It just bothers me tremendously when none dove workers point out all the supposed problems and dangers of working with doves when they really don't have a clue about what really happens. There are exceptions of course but most dove workers do consider the feelings of their doves. Putting them in a sleeve, box or tube is no more dangerous that putting them in a harness when done correctly. Believe me, if the bird is uncomfortable, it will let you know. I've found that most dove props need some type of adjustment to provide air and comfortability for the bird and a good dove worker will take the time to do that.

Since this topic is about fish, we probably should get back on topic.
Where the magic begins
Crispy
View Profile
Loyal user
Louisville, KY
207 Posts

Profile of Crispy
Fish sticks anyone?
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
Quote:
On 2006-02-10 13:19, MagoKiko wrote:
[...]Mr. Muggle,
"why would you purchase this effect and what do you expect to get out of it?"
A think a good magician will expect be lucky to have a friend (the fish) and together astonish and enjoy people.
;-)

I suppose a fish for a friend is better than a snake in the grass Smile

But seriously... Is this effect really that strong? Even if your not worried about the fish, this aquarium isn't like a stack of box's where you have good visibility unless your fish (and aquarium) is much larger...

Hey! How about a catfish card sword...card on whisker anyone?

;)
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
MagoKiko
View Profile
New user
Spain
12 Posts

Profile of MagoKiko
Mr. Muggle,
"Is this effect really that strong?"
You can see the video. About visibility you can use another aquarium or another picture instead of cards (ej. ouija with letters and numbers), but this is obviously a close up effect. A great one in my opinion, even for tv, or to do in theatres with cam, screen and projector.