The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Now that’s funny! :: Can every magic trick be funny? (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
I wonder what he came up with 15 years ago? His website is still up so he must be at least enjoying moderate success.

In my head I can hear my friend and magic mentor, Dick Oslund, telling his story of how he got started in magic. He tried to be "suave" and "deboner" at his show, and afterwards he was asked, "can you make them laugh?"
He found he could, and did, and a long career was born.
So the key is "You" as Dick would say in quotes, not the trick.

If you are funny, you'll find a way, it will either come naturally or it won't. You'll either use asides or your physical humor or the basic premise/mechanics of the trick (as mentioned above) or you might be practicing your lines, or performing, and a line or story idea will just come and find it's way into the act. Or any combination of the above.

Oftentimes the ideas come when you least expect it because you're NOT thinking about it. Your taking a shower maybe, or laying down to go to sleep and an idea will suddenly come, completely formed.

Hope he found something that worked for him! And that includes NOT performing it funny if he couldn't be funny for that trick. People get turned off by fake and cheesy so if he naturally wasn't a laugh a minute doing the matrix better off just performing it how he naturally was.

God bless you Dick!
"Down the road!"
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
John magic
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of John magic
No, they all don’t have to be funny