The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magic...at a moment's notice! :: Favorite Impromp. effects (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Alan Jackson
View Profile
Elite user
Cardiff, UK
432 Posts

Profile of Alan Jackson
The symbol which is written on a sugar cube and which appears on a spectator's hand always seems to provoke a good reaction.
There are 10 kinds of people: those who understand binary numbers, and those who don't.
shawlie
View Profile
New user
Netherlands
99 Posts

Profile of shawlie
Everyone should know the unlinking safety-pins. It amazes me. I think the sugar cube trick is pretty good, too. Knowing a few instant and fake knots is also pretty handy.
kirkcharles
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of kirkcharles
Besides the Encyclopedia of Impromptu Magic,
I would recommend checking Fisher's Body Magic, Schindler's Magic with Everyday Objects and Fulves' Self Working Table Magic.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10964 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
My favorite is Dr Sacks dice routine, I always cary a pair of dice with me, or I will take a hanky and do my mouse routine. Great for kids also...............
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Kathryn Novak
View Profile
Special user
PA
574 Posts

Profile of Kathryn Novak
Mine's not really magic as much as a joke, but it'll get a laugh out of almost everybody.

I borrow a pencil from my spec, wave my hands over it and tell the spec that the pencil has now been imbued with the ability to write ANY color they choose. (Note: I do not say IN any color they choose.) I tell my spec to pick a color, take a business card and write their color on the back. After they've realized what I said, they have my card and I've made my escape. Smile
If anyone sees my sanity, please return it to

me.
stevehw
View Profile
Veteran user
Collinsville, Mississippi
303 Posts

Profile of stevehw
2 in the hand and 1 in the pocket routine with whatever I can find that will work.

Steve
DonB!
View Profile
Regular user
Minnesota
170 Posts

Profile of DonB!
A quick combination of tricks, starting with an unexpected vanish of a PEN (Flip Stick vanish), then push the pen up through my chin (cigarette type vanish) and remove it from either my nose or ear. If the pen has a cap, part of Recapped, and finally make the pen vanish (Paper balls over the head) to finish. I walk away, and have satisfied the request. Smile
RandomEffects
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, MA
323 Posts

Profile of RandomEffects
One of the best new impromptu routines I have seen is Garret Thomas's The Ring Thing. I had the pleasure of seeing Garret lecture at CEMK and then perform the trick for a lay audience all night long. This trick destroys people, it is visual, baffling, quick, and needs nothing but an ordinary ring.
And in any bar I always do Ash on Palm, it's simple but it kills.

Mat
Florian Rago
View Profile
Loyal user
Lincolnshire
202 Posts

Profile of Florian Rago
I quite like pencil through cheek. It's totally 100% improptu and is rather fun.

Florian Smile
Socrates
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of Socrates
The elastic band through thumb.

Socrates

'Act as if it's impossible to fail' - Dorethea Brande Smile
Schaden
View Profile
Inner circle
Purgatory
1253 Posts

Profile of Schaden
I do some mind reading. I think I have posted what I keep in my "kit" on this site. I think the Light and Heavy dime is the best "On the Spot" trick. But, of course it uses some prep. Metal Bending is a great one to do. Maybe, even some hypnosis. I suggest you carry around some effects in your wallet that can be used any time. This helps the
"on the spot" feeling.
Jim Davis
View Profile
Special user
What is....? Utah
945 Posts

Profile of Jim Davis
Rubber band up the nose.. or "How I met My Wife"
Diamond Jim Davis "The Cardslinger" ~~~ Magic from the '80's....................the 1880's!
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>Don't just be a magician, be a human interest!
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>[url]www.periodplayers.com[/ur
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
When I look at impromptu magic it has to be effects where there is no advance preparation at all. No TT, no pulls, none of that. Impromptu is magic you can do at any time when asked to do magic.

Eliminating coins and cards. I like doing a cups and balls bit with coffee cups and balled up napkins. Or Salt Shaker thru the table is a classic. Rubber bands, strings and rings and ropes all make for great impromptu effects. I also like to try to use personal items.

If you carry gimmicks to do impromptu you are really crossing over into Jazz magic where you are awaiting the right time to pull off your magic that is set up and ready to go. It still appears impromptu to the lay person but it really isn't.

Smile
Daniel Faith
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1937 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
Slydini vanishes
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
MR2Guy
View Profile
Regular user
Nashville
179 Posts

Profile of MR2Guy
Well, at a moment's notice implies when I'm not "holding". I do agree that there is nothing wrong in always being prepared, but in those other times...

Ashes in palm. Killer trick when you sell it.

Twisting the arm. ditto.

Think of any number force.

Take care

Jason
Question every rule.
There are no absolutes.
Paul D
View Profile
Elite user
NY
455 Posts

Profile of Paul D
I have a person look deep into my eyes and tell them to calm themselves and concentrate then I scream Rarrghhh! It getsem everytime.very scary stuff.
Astonishment as Therapy...?
Mark Storms
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle, WA
393 Posts

Profile of Mark Storms
I will put my vote in for a few effects...

Hundy 500- Greg Wilson (Just carry this in your wallet everywhere)
Positive Negitive- Max Maven (Killer mentalism- Just a buiness card)
Perfected Center Tear- Osterlind (same as above)
Find out what you cannot do.., Then go and do it!
marcjh
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles
139 Posts

Profile of marcjh
Depends on the venue and who I'm performing for:
When I was asked to perorm at a pool party I did
Crazy Man's Handcuffs
An Impromtu Pen through Bill
Fizz Master (Paul Harris)

If I have a jacket on: Twisting Arm Illusion

In General
Silent Mora's Traveleing Marbles (see Foolers Doolers-- a really great effect)
Michael Close's version of the Stewart Judah's Shoelace/ Drinking Straw routine
Piano Trick (Can use matches or business cards, or anything)
cassius2m
View Profile
New user
Simi Valley, CA
68 Posts

Profile of cassius2m
I have had quiet a bit of success with Greg Wilson's Florida Keys over the past 3 years. More recently I have been using Ghost Bills by Andrew Mayne.
Then of course there is always a number of things to do with the change in my pockets

-Clay
blazes816
View Profile
Special user
Wichita, Kansas
522 Posts

Profile of blazes816
Balducci, or double jumping rubber band.