The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Tricks & Effects :: Sticky Situation by Andy Leviss (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
I'm not familiar with what Jim Pace item you're referring to, Hengky, would you mind filling me in?

Jay Sankey has an effect that's advertised as being similar, but it isn't as visual, is restricted in what you need to wear to perform it, and isn't easily reset; mine is very visual, could theoretically be done naked (although you wouldn't be able to hand it out at the end), and has no reset time.

I'd love to hear what anybody who's purchased mine has to say about it, though, since I'm a bit biased ;o)

--Andy
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
lesterkirad
View Profile
Loyal user
west lafayette, in
227 Posts

Profile of lesterkirad
Well, I was kind of hoping that someone would have this and do a review. I guess I will just have to buy the trick myself and let everyone know.
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
Lester, if you check over at KJ, somebody did post a review, albeit very brief, in the review forum there.

--A
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
Hengky Ciptanegara
View Profile
Veteran user
Indonesia
389 Posts

Profile of Hengky Ciptanegara
Andy,

Take at look at this web: http://www.magicsmith.com/cgi-bin/webcart/webcart.cgi

It is similar effect with yours.

Hengky
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
I haven't seen Jim's effect in person, so I don't want to compare them, but his is definitely different than mine.

Mine uses a stick of gum (Jim's uses a block style piece of BubbleYum in that picture), and the transformation is slow and visual, happenning in stages. First you stretch out the gum and it visibly transforms into a dry stick. Then you wave it in the air and it visibly becomes wrapped.

According to the ad, with Jim's you toss the gum in the air and it lands wrapped.

I'm not sure what if any restrictions there are on Jim's; with mine you only need a pocket if you want to hand the gum out at the end, if you don't want to hand it out, you could be naked.

--A

Quote:
On 2002-09-20 05:11, Francis wrote:
I don't share the same concerns as Advisor, and don't think many would. I very much like the effect, having learnt about Jim Pace's version first many years ago, and then Andy's. I've hesitated buying any of the two all this while, but have recently decided on Andy's, due to the added phase to the effect (his earlier version doesn't include the re-wrapping).

Thanks for the nice comments, Francis :o)

For the record, the original version from my lecture notes did feature the re-wrapping, but it worked differently and wasn't as "out in the open". The original used a "Spellbound" type change to accomplish the rewrapping (based on Ammar's "Visible Spellbound"); the commercial version uses a modification to the gaff that allows the change to happen visually and one-handed.

Quote:
I'm not sure who originated the idea (really would like to know though. Andy?), but I'm very impressed with it.

I can only speak for myself, in that it was independently created.

I came up with mine and then, as I finished writing the draft of my lecture notes that included it, I came across the first ads for the Dan Harlan tape that featured Aaron Fisher's version. I contacted Dan and through him got permission to print my method, which he said was completely different. I should add that I don't know Aaron's method, I just know that Dan said it's entirely different from mine :o)

Sankey also had a similar effect in his book Sankey Panky, which I was not aware of until recently (the book had been long out of print, so it didn't turn up in my research). That also uses a different method, and is nowhere near as visual. It was recently re-released as a manuscript.

--Andy
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
my fingers hurt from typing,
2205 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
I can say that Andy's idea is very clever. And the gimmick is extremely well made. So realistic! I used it only once so far. And got a good reaction. MY handling was abit different than the instructions. But this idea of rewrapping gum is definatley a winner with an audience.

Chad
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
I'm glad to hear you like it, Chad! If you don't mind sharing your handling, maybe you could post it in the "Secret Sessions" area? Or if you'd rather not post it publicly, would you mind PMing it? I'd love to see it!
Rusty
View Profile
New user
England
77 Posts

Profile of Rusty
I received this effect yesterday and have performed it today. Fantastic response - Fantastic trick, so easy to do and very visual - fooled everyone. Great stuff!!!
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
my fingers hurt from typing,
2205 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
Andy, I PM'd you my handling. I hope you like it. If you do, you can put it in the secret sessions for everyone to read. I don't mind. I just didn't want to publish it here without you first reading it.

Chad
scheda
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago, IL
287 Posts

Profile of scheda
Is there anyone out there that has a video demo of any of the effects that have been described here? Thanks in advance.

Smile
Coming soon... Who knows!
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
As the inventor of the effect, let me just go on the record saying that that's one of the worst performances I've ever seen of my effect :o(

The effect can and should be done much more openly than that. Properly performed, it should never seem to leave sight (To clarify, if you switch the gaff for a real stick, it will very briefly (much more briefly than this performance of it) leave sight. Otherwise, it doesn't.)

Performed properly, you pull a wad of gum from your mouth. Then, without it leaving sight, you stretch it out between your hands and, as you do, it turns into a dry stick. Then you wave the stick in the air with ONE hand (NO hokey Spellbound-appearing move, and NO COVER) and it becomes wrapped.

Then, if you wish, you do the move to switch the gaff for a real stick, and hand it out. Another presentation option to not hand it out is detailed in the instructions.

Please don't use that "demo" as an accurate basis to judge the effect. Done properly, the gum should not leave sight anywhere near as many times as that performer does. He might as well have just switched a wad of gum for a stick of gum for a wrapped stick. It's a shame that people who sell an effect can't be bothered to do it deceptively.

Unfortunately, I don't have a camera for my computer, or I'd do my own demo of it.

Also, as a note for buyers, this guy is selling the effect at $10 over the suggested retail, so unless you have a hankering to spend extra cash needlessly, I'd buy it elsewhere.

Obviously I'd be crazy if I didn't suggest you follow the link in my signature to my site and buy it from me, but if you have a favorite dealer, please buy it from them if you prefer. Just bear in mind that MSRP is $14.95, so $24.95 is fairly outrageous.

--Andy
Bernard Sim
View Profile
Inner circle
Singapore
1095 Posts

Profile of Bernard Sim
I just bought the effect. Now its time to think "where can I buy chewing gum in Singapore??? Smile "
Hey Andy, bring me some gum when you have the chance to come to Singapore. Smile
Bernard Sim
Hengky Ciptanegara
View Profile
Veteran user
Indonesia
389 Posts

Profile of Hengky Ciptanegara
Why I could not see the demo movie of this effect?

Hengky
Steveblackwell
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of Steveblackwell
Andy,
Did the site that demos your routine get your permission to demo it? If not, is that allowed? And is there anything you can do to prevent them and other websites from doing this?
Magic74Josh
View Profile
Regular user
Pennsylvania
101 Posts

Profile of Magic74Josh
I personlly do not like the gimick used. I am not sure how anyone could ever pull that off. Oh well, let me know what you all think
Magically Yours,
Magic74Josh
Magic7Josh@aol.com
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
Steve,
No, they didn't, but they don't have to. As long as they don't expose the method, they can do any demo they want to to sell it. Likewise, they can sell it at any price they want. It's too bad they chose to put up such a poor demo and sell it at such an inflated price (while I suppose I should be flattered that they feel it's worth that much, I don't think it's a smart business move to so grossly mark up a product that most other stores sell at MSRP).

Josh,
I'm sorry to hear you don't like it, but I suppose no effect is right for everybody. Many people, myself included, do "pull it off" every day for audiences, but if it's not for you, then it's not for you.

Best,
Andy
Chris Becker
View Profile
Veteran user
New York, NY
371 Posts

Profile of Chris Becker
streetmagicrevealed.com is a horrible site. Not only do they provide explanations for the tricks but the performances (like Andy's sticky situation) are extremely bad, too. Can't someone tell these guys to go offline?

Somewhat angry, Chris
- - -
<BR>Cards don't cheat people. People cheat people.
jonnyt
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of jonnyt
i have to agree that the demo is really bad! he gets away with so much cause we cannot see anything outside of wat the camera captures.
anyway andy's trick is a nifty idea and when i first saw it i tot 'what? i paid for this?' but if you play ard with it you'll find that it really is effective

i have ordered jay sankey's wrap it up
Chris from magicsmith says that jay sankeys wrap it up and jim pace's all stuck up use excatly the same gimmick! well will let you know how jay sankey's compares when i get it!
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
Do any of you guys know of a place where I can see a demo of Wrap It Up? Smile
Yours,

Ivan
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17421 Posts

Profile of joseph
The demo above is horrible. Buy the trick and perform it slowly. It is extremely effective. Great item, Andy. Smile
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...