The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The clothes we wear :: Costume (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Justin Flom
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of Justin Flom
What do you stage performers out there wear for performances? I have a basic vest thing going right now, but I want to move on to a more hip look. I'd like to know of some websites or stores that would have more "modern" or "hip" looking clothes and suits. Not just a basic sport coat, more funky and stuff. I don't really know how to explain what I'm looking for. Please just throw out some ideas. Thanks!

Justin Smile
Darmoe
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
741 Posts

Profile of Darmoe
Justin

What you wear really leans hard on the kind of personna you want to present on stage. I'm presently going through a major transformation in my character. For years I wore dark (black) colors (earth tones) and took on a more Goth and Renaissance look... now, my trade mark thick head of hair and peculiar beard is gone... I'm shifting to a more 1930s/40s "detective" look... even going to lighter colors like ivory, pinks and gray... even a zoot suit or two.

I haven't a clue how old your photos are, but the look I see is good for the style I think you work in. Just keep in mind, you can change your costume from routine to routine so as to add a more theatrical edge to what you're doing. Too, costume changes lend themselves well to slipping on special devices that allow you to get away with certain things... as Christ Carey used to say DO THE STUFF THAT'S YOU and don't worry about the rest.
"I firmly believe that of all the Arts and Crafts of Mentalism, there is nothing more satisfying than one who is a first-class Reader. It is the ultimate in Mentalism..." - Tony Corinda * 13 Steps To Mentalism
LeeAlex2002
View Profile
Inner circle
1007 Posts

Profile of LeeAlex2002
99.9% of my costumes are custom made by local dress makers here in Turkey. I have just ordered from a tailor in Belgrade for the first time ( hence the other 0.01%!!).

The important factor as far as clothes are concerned is your character, your routine, your surroundings.

Look at some of the most successful acts around and see the variety of costumes worn by one performer - Siegfried & Roy, lance Burton. These guys tend to change their clothes according to their routine.
Juan Tammariz has a character costume that you will see him wear the majority of times - this fits his character, rather than what he is performing. The same goes for DC, and DB (off the street!).
A costume is a great weapon for a magician - an act can be the most polished manipulation, choreography etc. but if the costume is "wrong" or the costume has been skimped over, then the whole visual aspect of an act can be ruined.

May I suggest that you hunt around some material shops and look at some off beat patterns, styles, textures that you personally like, gather some off cuts and take them to a dress designer who will be able to advise and help. If you have a local fashion college near to you, you might get their co-operation and have the students design some projects for you.

The easiest venue to decide what to wear is when performing in the various nudist resorts up and down the country - this is not so good for the dove worker however - no tails!
Yours Magically,
Lee Alex

https://www.devilshank.com/
paulapaul
View Profile
Regular user
Nevada
173 Posts

Profile of paulapaul
Justin,

Try internationalmale.com

The site is pretty slow right now. But if you are willing to shop, "you will find interesting things there."

I just found this:
London Opera Trenchcoat
Luxurious rayon/poly gabardine. High standing collar. Multi-pleated back. Tapered at the waist. 5" sleeve cuffs. Ornate buttons. Two side on-seam pockets/inner chest pocket. Dry clean. Regular Fit. Rayon/poly. Black, Ivory. S-M-L-XL-XXL.

Not bad! Cordially, Paula
magicsoup
View Profile
Elite user
461 Posts

Profile of magicsoup
I like to we3ar a vest when I perform. I have a vest that I like and I'm getting a seamstress to copy the pattern and make me on e with aome ateriel I picked out. I try to look classic and not hip and trendy. Some salesmen have tried to sell me trendy clothes but they are hip today and old in a couple of months. The pattern I picked out is a little flashy but that is ok when you are performing IMO.
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Costume for me is almost entirely dependent on the venue I am going to play and influenced by the kind of show I will be doing.

One does not wear a double-breasted, pinstripe suit and snap-brim fedora to a Medieval Banquet, after all! I mean, really! Spats AND a plate pair of pauldrons?! WHAT would Mr. Blackwell say??! Smile

I have a variety of things that I have available, ranging from tape collered shirts with a simple rhinestone applique (small, simple and dignified), to a duellist's costume, complete with rapier, puffy sleeves and high boots, to full modern Scots Kilts and formal jacket. Not to mention my costume from 7 years at Medieval Times doing strolling magic!

I always ask the client what the dress expectations for the event are and try to dress either in accord with them or a half-step ABOVE.

This sets me slightly apart from the regular guests and helps keep me from being confused with a wandering random oddball (which I really AM!) or with one of the waitstaff.

When on stage, I follow the same routine for the msot part for the hypnosis shows. Magically, I add a little flash, but not much.

Hope this helps!

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Illusionist
View Profile
Regular user
Earth
121 Posts

Profile of Illusionist
I am also pondering this subject. what kind of show your doing is important. you don't want to do a kids show dressed like satan. or a corporate show dressed like doink the clown. ...or maybe you do ... I don't know. but I like to stick with traditional magician atire. unless I work a festival or street performance. then I dress goth slash satan with lots of fire for night shows.

Mmm... Smile rabbit stew!
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
As an old marketing professor, I am convinced that more people will remember what costume you wore on your show than will remember your name. It will also put you into a category or keep you out of one. It is as important as the tricks you do. Whatever the image you are trying to sell is, will first be judged by the wrapper. Worse than that, it will be judged by the audiences' conception of who you are and what you are, based upon their experiences or lack of. Audiences don't give many second chances. Know your audience when you chose the costume. Don't confuse them about your role. You can not win if you do.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com