The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Ickle pickle Chained (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
The Balloon Animal
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of The Balloon Animal
Has anyone bought this, it's gotten me some great reactions for such a simple principle
God Bless

Michael Lynn Jr.

The Balloon Animal

Music, Magic and Awesome Balloons

www.balloonanimal.com

www.twistergifts.com

www.twisterart.com
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
Saw a friend do this earlier and it's simply a wonderful visual effect
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1293 Posts

Profile of GlenD
Yes indeed, it's a great way to introduce magic and progress onto other routines. Sometimes the specs will actually do it and when that happens I applaud right along with them. Their victory is usuallyshort lived when they ccan't repeat it! Smile
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3712 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
I've been doing this for 6 - 8 years. You can buy both a ring and light pull chain at Home Depot. If you work with kids, they are fascinated by it - I do it once where the ring falls off, then have the kid say a magic word, and the ring attaches. The kids line up to have their turn! Also a great visual (and ice breaker) for adults. I've only had two or three people able to do it in the past.

Jim
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
Yes a great little effect and very baffeling too.
Todd
Jay
View Profile
Elite user
Northern New Jersey
409 Posts

Profile of Jay
For the people who do this effect: What is your premise or presentation? I have this, and I like doing it, but I've never gotten a great response from it…and I think it is because I just do it as a "Hey, watch this" type of thing. I'd like to hear some creative ideas about the effect! Jay
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1293 Posts

Profile of GlenD
I have a couple of ways I introduce the effect... One is simply to get it ready and say something like "Watch this, now what do you think will happen if I let go of the ring?" wait for an answer... then " do you think it's possible for the ring to tie itself in a knot before clearing the chain?" Then let it go...

Another presentation I sometimes use (it's a gospel presentation) is "we need to stay connected to God, otherwise we will eventually be headed for a fall"!

Glen
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4226 Posts

Profile of warren
I used to use this all the time Smile I used to do a 3 phase routine with it ie the link, unlink and for the finish did a bit where the ring is threaded on the chain which is put over the spectators thumbs ending with the chain coming free whilst leaving the ring on the spectators thumbs.... it always went down well.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Is this the bit in which the ring is held against the doubled chain, and you flip it as you let if drop, so that it ends up in a girth hitch?

George Blake had a handling in which the ring was removed almost as fast. It can be done with a flexible piece of twine or very flexible rope.also.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
Yes it is Dick.A light weight chain is draped
over the thumb and pointer finger and hangs down
about 12 inchs or so.A ring is brought up thru the chain
and let go.When it hits the bottom of the chain.It is
knotted around the chain.A great little effect.It takes
a little knack to get use to doing it.
Todd
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hi Todd!

OK,Thanks! I am very familiar with it. It might almost be more of a juggling feat. It depends on how it is presented.

Perhaps I can clarify your explanation: The CHAIN is knotted around the RING. Your pronoun "It" has a faulty antecedent reference.

I have done it for years with a soft laid piece of light cord. "Soft laid" may be "translated" as VERY flexible.

An English magician, George Blake, explained in his lecture notes, how to "instantly" remove the ring from the knot, which is commonly called a girth hitch, or a cow hitch.

The more flexible the cord, the better, and,the weight of the ring is definitely a factor. It also helps if the hand holding the ring is holding it at the "bottom".

The two vertical "standing parts" of the chain or cord should be at least the same distance apart as the ring's diameter.

If while holding the ring so that most of the cord or chain is passing thru the ring, the ring's "bottom" edge is given a slight "push" between the standing parts, the "inertia" will cause a girth hitch to "automatically" form with the ring in the hitch.

The rope ends could be knotted together, and the knot held in the left fingers. When the ring falls, the illusion is that the ring has penetrated the rope and a knot has formed around it. (Few people understand how the hitch is formed.)

If I have time this week, I'll dig through a file stuffed with lecture notes, etc. and see if I can locate Blake's "handling". If so, I'll PM you.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
A very nice version of this came out
about 5 years ago.I can't remember the maker.

But the ring was made of silver and the chain
was the type most wear around their neck as jewelry.

It sold for about 80 bucks.And it had a lot
of extra handling ideas also.
Todd
MagicDan3333
View Profile
New user
Sun Prairie, WI
38 Posts

Profile of MagicDan3333
Nice effect, I have seen it performed and the audience enjoys it.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
EIGHTY DOLLARS!!!!!?????!!!!! I am speechless!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The late great Bruce Postgate from Canada marketed a nice complete act with this idea. He used a 3 or 4 inch ring and beads necklaces, they were sold on the open market as door entrance drapes. Can still find them on line. Linking necklaces and ring on an off necklace. Kind of like Marti Gras jewelry and things the hippy's wore in the 1960's.

Can't believe how much fuss is being made over this self working trick. There are all kinds of models on the market from China and other places.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I had forgotten my friend Bruce's "beads" routine, (My mind was wandering. --But, it's too weak to go very far!)

I agree, Bill, about the fuss! --and EIGHTY BUCKS!!!

Some of these guys should READ THE BOOKS~~~!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Jun 4, 2015, MagicDan3333 wrote:
Nice effect, I have seen it performed and the audience enjoys it.

A TRICK is PERFORMED. An EFFECT is what the spectator(s) SEES, or THINKS he SEES. I'm sure that you mean well, but, you should learn to use the correct terms!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Magic Dan 3333....You're not the only one! Check back on this thread. A number of posters have and continue to make this mistake.
dman11
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1075 Posts

Profile of dman11
Where can any other handlings to this other than just dropping the ring be found?
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4226 Posts

Profile of warren
The routine that I used to perform with this is the standard ring on followed by a ring off whilst the spectator holds one end of the chain, then to finish the ring is threaded on the chain which is then hooked over the spectators thumbs, they then put their thumbs together for extra security and I then pull the chain off the ring.I learned a 4th phase last year using just the chain where the chain penetrates the spectators thumb that I saw another magician perform which took me ages to figure out as nobody knew where the move came from, so there are more phases to be learned its just a case of looking out for them.