The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! :: Icecube: cold fusion at its best (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
I recently brought out the old fake ice cube trick....
we were in a restaraunt, and after dinner, I pulled an ice cube from my pocket, and it proceeded to leak on my hand...my friends, baffled, asked where it came from, and as I pointed to the air, I did a french drop of sorts and put it in my pocket, leaving my hands nice and wet..I squeezed my hands together instantly "melting" the cube...'twas great to see the look on their faces!...bwoy we live for this stuff don't we?
any other ideas for this prop?
just wanted to share a anecdote for an otherwise dry ice cube!
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1941 Posts

Profile of Clifford the Red
Hahaha!

That's great! I love how magical things can happen to a magician out of nowhere! Keeps people on their toes Smile
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
RBerteig
View Profile
Regular user
Monrovia, California
146 Posts

Profile of RBerteig
Babakali, I like the way you think!

A related idea I have played with off and on is a burning ice cube. The image I really want is to fish a cube out of a drink (ideally the glass held by your victim) and then wave it over a candle so it catches fire. Hold the burning cube for a bit then drop it back in the drink to extinguish it.

The methods I have figured out are all imperfect but I am sure it could be a real moment of wonder anyway.
Ross Berteig
Wizards in my Parlor
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
Sounds amazing brother! Now are we talking lighting the fake ice cube, after somehow planting it in their drink...or is it a real one your dealing with?
In any case I would love to find the method....its the "icing on the cake" (no pun) for people you always freak out on a regular basis,at a moments notice...its these quickies that in my opinion solidify the other magic we perform, i.e. mentalism, transportations...if you get my drift. Peace
Nightmare Weaver
View Profile
New user
The Shadows
62 Posts

Profile of Nightmare Weaver
Might work if you fish it out of a 151 proof rum or grain alcohol drink. (I wouldn't drop it back in their drink though.)

Excuse me. I'll be at the bar. HEY BARTENDER!
In the shadows, just on the edge of your nightmares. That's where you'll find me.
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
Any place to get a fake ice cube that doesn't have a fly in it?
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
Yes Midnight....
go to the trickery web site...its a marvelous prop, even gets "wet" when you need it to....I live here in the "artic tundra" of upstate NY, and the other day I pulled it from my pocket exclaiming how darn cold it is....wonderful, bewildering reactions...I do stunts randomly all day long...permanently infected with magimylitis!
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
Many thanks.
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
RBerteig
View Profile
Regular user
Monrovia, California
146 Posts

Profile of RBerteig
I found some glass blocks that look remarkably like plausible ice cubes at a craft store. Glass doesn't melt in one's pocket, and a depression on one face provides room for a suitable fuel. They don't feel quite right in the hand (especially not a room temperature) and so probably don't survive much direct examination.

This is just one of the many images and ideas lurking in the back of my mind waiting for the right catalyst to make that difficult move from imagination to effect.
Ross Berteig
Wizards in my Parlor
Shenaniganz
View Profile
New user
Cypress, CA
100 Posts

Profile of Shenaniganz
I forgot where I saw this written up, but it uses the fake ice cube. You pull out a pack of gum- Dentine Ice, or one of the other multitudes of gum or mints with Ice in the name. Offer one to your spec, and tell them how much you love this gum, its makes my breath icy fresh- then 'blow' into your fist and show the ice cube.
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
I Love it Shenaniganz! thanx for the tip!
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7036 Posts

Profile of magicfish
I just got my first cube, second hand from my magic shop.
Can't wait to use it. Just not sure how!