The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: All tied up! :: Funny Mark Wilson Escape Story (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Mark Wilson told me this story himself at a convention in Houston about 20 years ago.

Mark has an illusion called "Aquarius," which is basically the Metamorphosis done with a large aquarium with chains around it. He was doing this in Las Vegas. When he practiced it in L.A., he was using distilled water, because the water in the taps was murky, and you couldn't see through it. He brought the reserve tanks with him to Vegas and kept them in his rehearsal area. But he discovered that the tap water in Vegas is clear, so that's what he used in the show.

One night, he was getting ready to do the Aquarius, and the girl started to get into the tank. She stopped and said that the water was too hot. The stagehands had filled the tank from the wrong tap. It was about 180 degrees. So, with the audience's indulgence, they brought the other tanks out, drained off some of the water, and replaced that water with the cold water in the storage tanks. The water in the tank for the illusion was still fairly warm though.

They put the girl in the tank, brought the cabinet around, and Mark did his normal, "through the split in the curtains talk, which ended with One-two" and the assistant said "Three-It's Me!"

Nani was looking through the window in the side of the cabinet, and she ran offstage in tears. They wheeled the cabinet away, and there was Mark in the tank. They undid the chains, and Mark emerged from the tank -- as red as a lobster, with steam coming off his jumpsuit!

His cigar-chewing booking agent came up to him after the show and said, "Mark. The bit with the steam coming off your shoulders -- leave it in!"

This was the same guy who booked Ann-Margret into that gig at the MGM where she fell off the stage lift!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Bill Great Story next time you See Mr Wilson. ask him if he was Steaming MAD Smile
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
He wasn't. He thought it was pretty funny. But Nani was really torqued about it.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Bill I meant Steaming Mad in a fun way. Guys always see the Humor in it and the ladies get miffed. and it can happen just the other way.
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Great story. Thanks.

Ros
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2257 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
Great Story. Amazing how, the more you torture yourself, the more the audience likes it. Blood thirsty spectators.
Wolflock
Pro Magician & Escapologist
Member of JMC (Johannesburg Magic Circle)
South Africa
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
I know a guy who used to work for Mark Wilson. I should print this out and give it to him. I wonder if Mr Wilson would get mad if we called him Red Lobster ? Smile
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2257 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
Sounds like a catchy title for a Table Hopper. The Red Lobster.
Wolflock
Pro Magician & Escapologist
Member of JMC (Johannesburg Magic Circle)
South Africa
Moxahalla
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
751 Posts

Profile of Moxahalla
Its actually called the ACQUARIAN Illusion--by Alan Wakeling.