The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Elastic IT (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
AqueousMagiK
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of AqueousMagiK
Hello I have a question about elastic IT I just purchased a 200 foot spool of elastic IT from the magic shop but it wasn't what I expected, it was a clear thread, it stretches like it should, but because it's clear it's way too visible and reflective. I thought it would be black like other invisible thread.

Is this how elastic IT comes, clear? or did I get ripped off?

I went back to the shop and he said to colour it in with a texter or something.

I also got the Ammar it DVD volume 1 and was looking forward to put some of the tricks taught in to practice.

If this is how it does come do you guys have any tips on using this thread to cut down on the shininess and reflectivity?

thanks in advance
aaron
Aaron Farrugia
BobbyJ
View Profile
New user
Tucson, Az
48 Posts

Profile of BobbyJ
Hey Aaron, I don't remember which tape off hand, but one of the Ammar tapes showes you how to color the IT with a sharpie. I strip my elastic IT from panty hose. It is clear also. Bobby
Neil
View Profile
Elite user
486 Posts

Profile of Neil
The elastic IT I got was black like normal.

I thought it was way too obvious even black to be honest.
BobbyJ
View Profile
New user
Tucson, Az
48 Posts

Profile of BobbyJ
Elastic IT is a little trickier, because when it stretches it becomes very shiney. You have to be real carefull of lighting when using it
AqueousMagiK
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of AqueousMagiK
Do you have any tips with using elastic IT and lighting
Aaron Farrugia
BobbyJ
View Profile
New user
Tucson, Az
48 Posts

Profile of BobbyJ
Pretty much the same rules that go for regular IT. Don't use it under direct lighting. Try to have the lighting behind you, that way most of the reflection is towards you not the specs. Lighter clothing is better. I only use elastic IT for a few effects. Most of the time it's in a night club so there is not a lot of bright lights.
Ludo
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Ludo
Hi, Aaron. I think I know the thread you're talking about. Painting it with ink does work but has a tendancy to rub off after a while, probably because the surface is so smooth. Believe it or not, I've found you can successfully dye it at hot temperature using black household fabric dye without it becoming fragile. It cuts down on most of the light refraction. If you have the time, try experimenting on a small length. It really is a beautiful thread to use.
AqueousMagiK
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of AqueousMagiK
Thank you Ludo, I was actually thinking of placing it into some dye but wasn't sure if it would distroy it.
Aaron Farrugia
Ludo
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Ludo
Give it a go. Keep it away from direct heat and surfaces in the process. I weave it around a few nails I've hit into a piece of wood and simmered the whole thing for about 20 minutes in a dye bath. Let it cool for an hour or so. Identify the ends with a bit of putty and you're set.
It may sound like a lot of messy trouble, but it works for me. It's wonderful stuff.
devplus
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of devplus
What kinda stuff can you do with it, because I found when I use it, it stretches and whatever I'm doing doesn't work Smile
threadz
View Profile
New user
TN.
37 Posts

Profile of threadz
We carry a flat black that is very good.
www.xtrememagicshop.com

where the magic is limited only by your Imagination!
NMaggio
View Profile
New user
Nick Maggio
100 Posts

Profile of NMaggio
The only recent purchase that did not live up to my expectations is the 200 feet of elastic IT. It is so poor, it breaks just attempting to unwind it from the spool. It is virtually useless for my original intent: making loops. Oh well...

Nick Maggio
Comet
View Profile
Loyal user
235 Posts

Profile of Comet
I may be off but can't you strip the elastic IT as well. I seem to remember doing that. it's not nearly as strong but it's a lot harder to see and if you camo it like Mike Ammar you'll be in good shape.
Joe Comet
threadz
View Profile
New user
TN.
37 Posts

Profile of threadz
The thread we carry can't be strip and I like it a lot I use it on the fade hook up. But I think most try to use it under fluorescent lighting conditions and that is a no in elastic or any invisible thread. The flat black is supposed to stretch without the shiny glare and the stuff I use does not shine but it does work best in like restaurant situations and with regular lighting condition. I hope this help thread work is hard to figure out to you get your style done then move on from there good luck. Wes
www.xtrememagicshop.com

where the magic is limited only by your Imagination!